You may have heard that when you have the best table saw, then you have a great tool. However, it is also important to note that this is one of the most dangerous tools that you can have in your workshop. As such, you will need to be careful so as to avoid accidents. You need to familiarize yourself with how to operate the tool safely. If this is the first time to own one, then you have landed on the right place. This guide will teach you some of the basic safety tips. For the professionals, this will serve as a reminder. To make it easier to understand this guide, we have broken it down into 3 main categories:
- The User
- Working Area
How do you use a table saw?
The User or Woodworkers
The safety of the table saw starts with you and as such, you need to work hard to ensure that you are reducing the risk levels. For instance, you should never operate the tool when you are under the influence of any substance. You should also avoid using it when you are tired or impaired in any way. When using the saw, you need to give your ears and eyes priority when it comes to protection. As such, always have safety glasses as well earplugs. Also, protect your feet as you can hurt your feet with other sharp objects that are in the workshop.
As far as dressing goes, do not wear baggy clothing or anything that has long sleeves. Avoid the neckties and other accessories and jewelry that are dangling. These may be caught easily by the blade. Protect your hands when working with the best value table saw. However, you should avoid wearing gloves so as not to lose your sense of touch. User the relevant guides like miter gauges and the fence to protect your hands.
The other area that will enhance your safety is the working area. Ensure that you work area is in perfect order before you can connect the power saw. You need to tidy up the area so that you will not have any distractions. Clear any debris and sawdust that may be on the floor and table surface. If you are using a portable stand, have the saw secured to the table and check to confirm that the blades are sharp and tight in place. You should then align the blade to the table, depending on the cuts that you intend to make.
As part of the preparation, you should ensure the throat insert is even to the table and align the anti-kickback features for your own safety. There are so many pieces of equipment and accessories that you may need to use. As such, you need to ensure that everything is in order and perfect shape. When preparing the workstation, your concern should not only be to have an efficient table saw but also one that does not threaten your safety. Safety and efficiency should go hand in hand.
For more in-depth information about Properly Maintain Your Table Saw guide I highly recommend this article – https://bestsawreviews.com/how-to-properly-maintain-your-table-saw/
Woodworkers Proper Knowledge
Whether you are a novice or an expert, how much you know about the tool and how to use it is essential. If you do not know how to operate it, then this would be futile, even if you have the best-rated saw. As a way of revamping your knowledge on the table saw, if you have bought a new one, you should ensure that you have read and understood the owner’s manual. Even if you had previously owned one, when you have a new model, you should check it through to confirm the basic set and safety features.
In order to ensure that you are using the tool with utmost safety, here are some basic tips that you can follow:
- Always inspect the stock that is being cut for any foreign objects like knots, staples, screws, nails and so on. These can easily damage your tool and even cause kickbacks, which can be dangerous.
- The blade is usually sharp and can easily cut you. If you need to reach over the blade or behind it, you should ensure that it has come to a complete stop so as to play safe.
- If you are not cutting any workpiece, always have it turned off. Only turn it on when you are ready to cut.
- Never engage the workpiece to before starting the table saw. You should allow the blade to come to the maximum spin before placing the stock that you need to cut.
- When you need to make rip cuts, you need to use the rip fence to guide your stock. For the cross cutting process, you will need a miter gauge or sled.
- To protect your hands and fingers, you should use push sticks when you are making narrow cuts. This means cuts that are 6 inches and below. You should never push the workpiece with your bare hands as this can be quite risky.
- If you need to do any adjustments or maintenance, in the middle of the cutting process, you should turn it off, completely and disconnect it from the power source. This is to prevent any accidental start on the tool, which could cause harm.
- You should never use the miter gauge and the rip fence at the same time. This can be quite dangerous. However, there are instances where they can be used together, but this would be for the experts.
- Even if you are in a hurry, do not stack several workpieces to make the cuts as this could be quite dangerous for you. Work on a single piece at a time.
These are some simple tips that will help in your workflow when using the table saw. You should always ensure that you are working towards achieving utmost safety, as much as you need to make accurate cuts. Always seek to find more information on how to enhance the safety when working with this tool.
Go here if you are looking for Table Saw Basics Parts And Accessories Guide.
Enjoy the Table Saw Experience
When you pay keen attention to the three areas that we have discussed in this guide, then you will become an expert in making cuts. You should have a schedule to carry out maintenance and check all the parts before you can start working. When we talk about the safety of the best saw, you should know that this comes in different aspects that are interrelated.
You should enhance your woodworking skills and knowledge so that you can become better in the operation of the tool. There are so many people who end up underutilizing their saw since they do not know how to use it effectively. If you are in any doubt about any aspect of the operation, you should always seek guidance. You can never compromise on your safety when working with the table saw.