The best palm sander is a great tool to have as it can be used for different tasks. As the name suggests, this is a tool that conveniently fits in the palm of your hands and as such, it is easier to control. It is small enough in that you can actually use it with a single hand and be able to achieve amazing results. As long as you can know how to use this sander, you will improve the fi finishing on your woodwork projects. The process of buying the ideal should not give you a hard time as you can check my guide on the best palm sanders on the market, here.
Now that you have your sander, you need to learn how to use it, otherwise, you will end up underutilizing it. While different sanders have different features, I will show you how to safely use this powerful tool and you will be amazed at how much you can achieve with this small tool.
What Can You Use A Palm Sander For?
Generally, the palm sander may be either a random orbit or an oscillating sander. The oscillating ones have a sanding pad that moves in circles and is ideal for back and forth motion. The random orbit ones, on the other hands, will still move in circles, but also spin the pad, giving you faster and cleaner results.
As such, you can use the best palm sander for so many functions. This is ideal for light sanding, in between coats, which is known as distressing. Due to their smaller size, you can also use them for sanding smaller spaces and since they can be handled by hand, they can also be used for vertical sanding.
How To Use A Palm Sander Step By Step Guide?
It does not matter if you have bought the best palm sander, which is top rated on the market if you do not know how to use it. You will really never know the full potential of the tool if you are now aware of how you should use it. Here a simple, yet comprehensive step by step guide on how to use this tool.
Step 1: Select Sandpaper
You need to start at the point where you pick the ideal sandpaper for the job. If you are an expert, then this would be an easy task for you. If you do not have an idea on how to go about it, you need to start with the coarse grit and then you can progress to the finer ones. In order to decide which would be the most suitable paper, you need to check the state of the wood so that you can pick the right grit. For extremely rough material, the 40 – 60 grit paper would be ideal.
If you have material that is in perfect shape somewhat smooth, you need to go for the fine paper from 150 -180 grit. This is meant to give you a smooth finish and you can choose to go all the way up to 320 grit extra fine sanding.
Step 2: Measure and Attach Sandpaper
Having decided on the grit and paper to use, you need to measure your sandpaper and cut the desired size. With the right size of paper, insert it to the sander and this will require you to open the sanders clamp lock. Place the paper insider and they lock the clamp lock and tighten it. This should be done on both sides so as to ensure that the sandpaper is fully secured.
Step 3: Clamp Down the Work Piece
To ensure that you end up with a smooth and neat finish, you should clamp down the workpiece that you intend to sand. You should hold it down with clamps and ensure that it is secure before you can commence the sanding.
Step 4: Wear Safety Gear and Start the Sander
With the basic preparations accomplished, you need to wear your safety goggles or a dust mask. These are protective items to protect you from the sawdust and debris. At this point, you can now turn the sander and allow it to get to full speed.
Step 4: Start to Sand
Now it is time to get to the actual sanding. You should place the sander on the surface and start moving it in long and uninformed strokes. You need to stick to the back and forth movement, along the grain of the wood. If you sand against the grain, the will be Knicks on the material and you will not have a smooth finish.
Step 5: Final Touches
Once you have finished the initial sanding, it is time to change the sandpaper and pick one with a finer grit. When you replace the sandpaper, you should follow the same procedure. The last bit would be to wipe the surface with a tack cloth, so as to remove the saw dust.
How To Change Pad On Palm Sander?
Whether you use your palm sander often, or once in a while, you will be forced to change the pad, at some point. If your pad is damaged, you have nothing to worry about as this something that you can easily replace, from the comfort of your home. Here is a guide on how to change the pad on the best palm sander:
- Start by locating the screws and remove them under the sander.
- Open the bench vice and place the repair collar into the bench vise with your hands. Ensure that the pad is pointing upwards.
- Using the suitable wrench, hold still the nut on the opposite side of the pad.
- Turn the pad with your hands, clockwise to loosen it and then remove it from the sander.
- Take the new pad and thread it into the sander, and turn it into the clockwise direction.
- Use the wrench and tighten the nut and remove the sander from the vise.
Palm Sander Safety Tips
Having understood the efficiency of the best palm sander, we can all agree that this is an efficient tool to use. However, without proper care, you may end up damaging the tool or even hurting yourself. In order to avert such dangers, here are some safety tips that you can follow:
- Before attempting any sanding with the palm sander, read and understand the manual so that you can assemble it and use it properly.
- Whenever you are sanding, ensure that you have the right paper for each surface.
- Always inspect the surface to be sanded and remove any foreign objects.
- Check your sandpaper also so as to make sure that it is intact and not torn.
- Allow the palm sander to run at full speeds before placing it on the wood surface.
- Do not apply too much pressure on sander as this may cause serious damages.
- Keep your eyes on the surface and the sander at all times and avoid any distractions.
- Secure your stock with clamps so as to prevent any movements or wobbling when you are sanding.
- In case you need to make any adjustments or want to change the paper, allow the sander to come to a complete stop and turn it off and remove it from the power source.
This is valuable information that I have shared with you here. When you learn to use the best palm sander as required, you will enjoy the sanding experience. There are some people who rate the palm sanders low because they do not know how to use the tool. I have taken you through all the basics of this sander and included a step to step guide on how to use this tool.
I always make an emphasis that you need to pay attention to the manufacturers’ manual since some models may differ. If you have any questions about the use of a palm sander, do not hesitate to talk to us. This is a guide that you should be glad to share your loved ones so that they can use their sanders in the right manner.
Leave a Reply