Last Updated on
There is so much that one can accomplish with a standard circular saw. However, with the worm drive circular saw, you will be able to do twice as much, with less effort. The worm drive saws are known to be unique and useful for different types of cuts. The operation of the best worm drive saw is quite easy and it will enhance your productivity. This is a great investment to have in your workshop and it will make your work experience truly enjoyable.
In order to enjoy the maximum benefits of the worm drive saw, you will need to pick the right model. This may not be an easy task as there are so many different models on the market. Each brand offers special features to enhance the functionality of the saw. If you are in search of the best worm drive circular saw, this is your day. I will discuss some of the best models on the market and also give you pointers on how to pick the right one.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Worm Drive Saw Reviews In 2020
- 1.1 1. SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Worm Drive Circular Saw
- 1.2 2. Milwaukee Worm Drive Circular Saw 6477-20 7-1/4-inch
- 1.3 3. SKILSAW SPT77W-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Aluminum Worm Drive Circular Saw
- 1.4 4. Bosch Worm Drive Circular Saw CSW41 7-1/4-Inch
- 1.5 5. DEWALT Worm Drive Circular Saw DWS535 7 1/4-Inch
Why Worm Drive Saw and Its Benefit
It comes as a surprise for most people that the worm drive saw is also a circular saw. However, this is significantly advanced and has so many features that will make the cut process much easier for you. The best worm drive saw comes with a motor that is in line with the blade and this is the key reason why it is quite efficient and is able to deliver maximum torque and power.
- The worm drive saw has an improved capacity as compared to what the standard circular saw offers.
- The bleeding of worm drive saws is on the left side and as such, this will give you the clear view of the cutting line, enhancing accuracy.
- These models are much heavier and come with a solid construction, which gives you sturdiness and longevity.
- The worm drive saw is more powerful, thanks to the motor, in line with the blade and this speeds up the cutting process without compromising on the quality and precision.
- You can make use of the worm drive saws to cut on a wide range of materials and it is really easy to use.
Best Worm Drive Saw Reviews In 2020
As more people seem to be appreciating the effectiveness of the worm drive saw, there are so many brands that have been introduced to the market as a way of trying to meet the demand. However, this can be confusing if you want to pick the best worm drive saw. I have reviewed a number of models and have picked the top 5 for you.
1. SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Worm Drive Circular Saw
The SPT77WML-01, weighs only 11.6 pounds, which makes it the lightest model in its class. This is an all-magnesium saw and runs on the legendary worm drive gearing system. This gives you enough power and torque to be able to make cuts through the toughest applications. This model comes with a 15 amp dual field motor that will power the saw and will remain cool, even when you have to work for extended hours. This 7 ¼ inch circular saw comes with a maximum cutting capacity of 2-3/8 inches at 90 degrees.
- Lightest magnesium construction reduces user fatigue for less down time
- Cut-Ready depth of cut system helps with quick, accurate depth measurements
- 53° bevel allows users to complete a wider variety of cuts
- 15 Amp of power gives users the power to rip through more lumber in less time
- The SPT77WML-01 comes with a powerful, dual field motor of 15 amp, which run at 5,300 RPM. This will ensure that the motor stays cool at all times.
- It is made of a magnesium construction, which is responsible for the lightweight of this model and will reduce fatigue.
- The bevel of 53 degrees will allow you to make wider cuts in various angles.
- The Cut-Ready depth of cut is a system that will allow you to make accurate depth measurements, quickly.
- There is an anti-snag guard on the SKILSAW Worm Drive Circular Saw SPT77WML-01, which will provide you a smooth cut, even when working on very narrow pieces.
As a way of enhancing its functionality, the SPT77WML-01 has a maximum bevel of 53 degrees, which are supported by positive stops at 0 and 45 degrees. This is a saw that has been designed to serve the needs of frames as can be used for various applications like siding, decking, framing and ceilings. With this worm drive saw, you will be able to cut hardwood, softwoods as well as engineered woods. There is an assurance of exceptional performance when it comes to the use of this particular model and it will not disappoint you if you need consistent cuts.
The rugged magnesium housing for the motor is sturdy enough is durable. It will also ensure that the motor stays cool at all times and as a result, you will have improved productivity, without affecting the quality of the cuts. This saw comes with a SKILSAW blade that will give you the convenience of using it, right from the box. The on-tool multi-functional wrench will be used for purpose of changing the blades. The anti-snag lowers guard will protect the blade when it is not in use and when cutting thin materials, the blade will not snag.
2. Milwaukee Worm Drive Circular Saw 6477-20 7-1/4-inch
If you are in search of a decent worm drive saw that does not cost a fortune, the Milwaukee 6477-20 7-1/4 in. maybe a good solution to consider. This is the best worm drive saw for contractors who need a powerful tool to make their work easier. The saw has a 15 amp motor that delivers 4,400 RPM and this will give you maximum cutting power, without being bogged down. This is an ideal saw when you have to work on heavy loads as it has the capacity to cut through heavy duty applications.
- The product is easy to use
- The product is durable
- The product is manufactured in China
- 15.0 Amp, 4,400 RPM Motor- delivers maximum cutting performance and does not bog down,...
Makita worm drive saw Core Features
- Milwaukee 6477-20 7-1/4 in. comes with a worm drive gear that is made of hardened steel and this makes it suitable for tough applications.
- It is made of magnesium housing, which is strong and durable and also lightweight. This will outlast the standard circular saw.
- The worm drive saw has a 15 amp motor with 4,400 RPM and this delivers the best cutting performance and you will hardly have down times.
- There heavy duty composite shoe is quite useful and it is so strong such that it does not warp or bend, even under heavy loads.
- You can quickly check the oil levels in the saw, through the exclusive oil site glass.
It has a worm drive gear that is made of hardened steel and this is responsible for the maximum torque and power in heavy duty cutting. It is made of magnesium and this makes it strong, yet pretty light. You will also enjoy the advantage of having this model last for a very long time, unlike the standard circular saw. There is a composite shoe that has been included and this does not bend, warp or kick up a burr. There is an exclusive oil site glass that will make it possible for you to monitor the oil levels of the saw easily.
The Milwaukee 6477-20 7-1/4 in. may not be a familiar brand and some may want to dismiss on the mere fact that it is made in China. However, this is a high-quality tool and the good news is way cheaper than similar models in its class. This offers great features, which makes it convenient for both professionals and hobbyists. If you the type of person who is looking for quality performance and not really interested in brand names, then this the best worm drive circular saw to consider. It comes with an ergonomic design, which makes it easy to use and maneuver.
3. SKILSAW SPT77W-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Aluminum Worm Drive Circular Saw
If your interest is in a jobsite saw, then you will find the SILKSAW SPT77W-01, to be quite convenient. This comes with great power and will give maximum torque, as a result of the word drive gearing. When you need to make cuts on rugged applications, you can trust this saw to deliver exceptional performance. This comes with an aluminum body as well as an aluminum guard. However, the footplate is made of steel, which contributes to the solid construction of this model. It weighs 14.2 pounds, which is a manageable weight and also gives it sturdiness.
- Lighter construction (1 pound lighter than SKIL SHD77), reduces user fatigue for less...
- Cut-Ready depth of cut system helps with quick, accurate depth measurements
- 51° bevel allows users to complete a wider variety of cuts
- 15 Amp of power gives users the power to rip through more lumber in less time
Worm drive skill saw Core Features
- The SPT77W-01 comes with a lighter construction made of aluminum and this will minimize the downtime and fatigue.
- There is a cut ready depth of a cut system that has been included to make the depth measures quick and accurate.
- The 15 amp dual field motor is quite powerful and will be able to work for extended hours, under heavy load without overheating.
- The anti-snag lower guard is designed to provide smooth operation when working with the thinner workpieces.
- The housing and the guard are made of aluminum, while the footplate is made of steel, giving you sturdiness and longevity.
There is a 15 amp dual field motor that will power through the toughest applications and still remains cool. This the best worm drive saw for the difficult cut as it is quite efficient. The 7 ¼ inches saw has a maximum capacity of 2 3/8 inches when operating at 90 degrees. The 51 degrees bevel capacity comes with positive stops at 0 degrees and 45 degrees. If you have applications like the stairwell, heavy wood framing, concrete forming, wood with nails as well as siding, the SPT77W-01, will come in handy. You can even cut wet lumber with this saw, without any difficulty.
With this saw, you will be in a position to make rip cuts efficiently. There is an on-tool multi-function wrench and this will be ideal for blade changes and other maintenance services. This model comes with a 24 tooth carbide tipped SKILSAW blade to start you off, but you can change depending on the applications that you are cutting. With the motor giving speeds of up to 5,300 RPM, you will get fast and accurate cuts, when using this saw. This is a corded circular saw, which will be ideal for a wide range of applications.
4. Bosch Worm Drive Circular Saw CSW41 7-1/4-Inch
When it comes to high-quality power tools, Bosch is one of the best manufacturers and the Bosch CSW41 7-1/4 In. is one such tool. This worm drive circular saw is compact in size has a very powerful gearing ratio. This is a saw that is best rated for the versatile features and the power that it exhibits. The magnesium housing, as well as the footplate that is made of die-cast magnesium, will give you true strength and durability. This model weighs only 13.2 pounds, which is light enough to use, without causing fatigue.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The Bosch CSW41 Circular Saw provides better comfort and control. The...
- ACCURACY: Featuring a worm drive design, the CSW41 offers increased accuracy and...
- TORQUE: The saw delivers 5,300 no-load rpm but weights only 13.2 lbs. The powerful 15-amp...
- CONVENIENT: The CSW41 features an on-board multi-function wrench for blade and brush...
Bosch worm drive saw Core Features
- There is an anti-snag lower guard on Bosch CSW41 7-1/4 In. and this will ensure the operation is smooth and you can cut small pieces.
- The onboard and the multifunctional wrench will come in handy for a number of tasks, including blade change, lever adjustment as well as blade diamond knockout among others.
- Bosch CSW41 7-1/4 In. comes with high torque that is made possible by the 15 amp motor as well as the worm drive gearing.
- The magnesium construction is solid and this is also what makes the toot to be light enough to reduce fatigue.
- The saw has a unique built-in hook that is convenient and allows you to store the saw safely, in between cuts.
The 15 amp motor is quite powerful and will help you to execute fast cuts as it has a no-load RPM rating of 5,300. The worm drive mechanism gives you great power, accuracy and longevity, as the saw will last for a longer time than the conventional circular saw. The blade is on the left side and this is an added advantage as the users will have a clear view of the cut line, which results in accurate cuts. The motor housing is sturdy and rigid and this will prevent any wobbling of the blade, while in use.
The magnesium housing of the motor will allow the Bosch CSW41 7-1/4 In. to stay cool, which extends its life. The 5 ball bearings have also been included to ensure that the saw is stable enough and gives you great sturdiness. This saw comes with an advanced lubrication system, which is designed to prolong the life of the saw. It is versatile in nature and as such, you will be able to make quick and modified cuts. The onboard wrench is multi-functional and can be used to adjust levers, change blades and carry out maintenance. There is a soft grip on this saw to give you comfort and control.
5. DEWALT Worm Drive Circular Saw DWS535 7 1/4-Inch
I cannot finish up the reviews of the best worm drive circular saw, without highlighting the DEWALT DWS535 worm drive saw. You will agree that DEWALT is a market leader when it comes to the manufacture of high-quality tools. This is a lightweight model that features a magnesium construction, which gives you easier and comfortable handling. The saw is quite strong and will last for a very long time, without any issues. If you have a standard circular saw, then this is far much better and effective and will give you a lot of power and versatility.
- The product is 7-1/4"Worm DR Circle Saw
- Easy to use
- The product is manufactured in China
- Lightweight 13.8 pound magnesium construction provides optimum user handling
Dewalt worm drive saw Core Features
- One of the outstanding bits with the DEWALT DWS535 is the fact that it is easy to use.
- While it is made in China, the worm drive circle saw offers the best quality as it has a 53-degree bevel capacity with stops at 22.5 and 45 degrees.
- The saw comes with an extra wide saw hook that makes it possible for you to cut materials that are up to 2 ½ inches wide.
- Toughcord protection is an essential system that will provide you 4 times better protection against cord jerking.
- It is made of a magnesium construction and also has a die-cast footplate that will provide a solid cutting platform.
The main advantage with the DEWALT DWS535 is the fact that allows you to make quick and clean cuts, which are accurate. Even when you need to make consistent cuts repeatedly, this model will be useful in this regard. The extra-wide saw hook has been included to make it possible to handle cuts that are up to 2 ½ inches wide. When you buy this tool, it will come with a carbide tipped blade as well as a blade wrench to facilitate blade changes. The shoe is strong and is tough and provides a solid platform for making your cuts.
This is models weighs 13.8 pounds and it will be easy to handle when making cuts. While it is light, it is strong enough to handle very tough cuts. The powerful motor delivers 4,300 rotations per minute to give you a powerful performance. The features of this model have been designed in such a manner that they are easy to use and as a result, you will be able to save time. The DEWALT DWS535 has been rated as the best tool for advanced roofing applications. There are bevel stops at 22 ½ degrees and 45 degrees, which will make the settings fast and accurate, at different angles.
Things to Consider When Buying a Worm Drive Circular Saw
While the market seems to be flooded with so many brands of worm drives saws, not all of them qualify to be the best worm drive saw. As such, you will need to look at specific features that are ideal for you, before buying any specific model. The focus will, mainly, be on the features that the saw has. Here are the key considerations:
- Motor Housing
You should pay keen attention to the housing of the worm drive saw. Ordinarily, the worm saw is much heavier than the normal circular saw. Picking a model that has a magnesium housing is much better as this will give the required protection to your motor, without adding more weight. The motor needs to be protected, with a durable housing so as to keep them in top condition and so far, magnesium seems to be the ideal housing.
- Blade Change Mechanism
For the professionals who use the best worm drive circular saw frequently, changing the blade is a critical bit and you need to consider this. You will want a model that has a system that allows for easier blade changes, without and complexity. When shopping for a worm drive saw, you will need to pick the one that has an easy system for blade change, preferably one that does not require the use of extra tools. This will be critical when you have to meet strict deadlines as the blade change process will be fast and easy. For more in-depth information about how safety chnage the circular saw blade go here right away.
- Bevel Capacity
There another thing that should be clear in your mind is the capability of the bevel. The worm drive saw is designed to make work easier and facilitate cuts effortlessly. As such, you should go for a model that has a wide range of bevel settings. This will make it possible for you to make different cuts at different angles. Therefore, the key thing to focus on is the bevel capacity as well as the bevel capability.
- Dust Blower
One of the things that you will have to contend with is the debris and the dust that will result from the cuts that you make. This can really be distracting and, ends up affecting the cuts that you make. As such, you need to go for a model that has a proper design, with a dust blower. This will remove the dust from the cut line and give you a great view. This is also a safety measure as you can see what you are cutting.
- Cut Line Visibility
The only way that you will make the most of the worm drive saw is when you are able to see the cutting line clearly. This tells you that you need to look at the design of the saw and ensure that it does not interfere with the cutting line. In most cases, when the bleeding of the saw is on the left side, you will be able to see the cutting line when working with the saw.
10 Safety Tips When Using Worm Drive Saw
Buying the best worm drive saw is exciting and you may want to start with the cutting process right away. However, it worth mentioning that there are so many accidents that are associated with this tool and as such, it is important to be keen. Here are some safety tips that you follow to ensure that you are safe at all times:
- Learn the saw and be familiar with all the settings, by reading the owner’s manual, before using it. This will give you an upper hand when it comes to making adjustments and cuts.
- Always pick the right blade for the material that you intend to cut and when you change the blade, it needs to be fastened in a secure manner.
- Test the lower guard and ensure that it is moving freely without any obstructions.
- You will need to wear protective clothing and accessories when working with the saw like goggles, gloves and dust masks. It is advisable to avoid buggy clothes and loose accessories.
- When making your cuts, you should use the right supports like push blocks and clamps so as to have adequate blade clearance.
- Check for any foreign objects like knots, nails, pins and staples and remove them from the workpiece. These may cause the blade to bind and cause kickback.
- Avoid using the best worm drive circular saw for very small pieces that cannot be supported on the base plate.
- You will need to have your hands and body away from the blade of the saw at all times and also never make the mistake of overreaching the workpiece.
- Allow your blade to come to full speed before pushing it into the stock to make cuts.
- You should never remove the workpiece from the saw, while it is still spinning. You should wait for the blade to come to a complete stop.
If you are looking for more information about how to safely use a worm drive saw go here https://bestsawreviews.com/how-to-use-a-circular-saw/ right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the weight of the worm drive circular saw?
A: First of all, it is true that the worm drive saw is heavier than the standard circular saw. However, the weight depends on the model that you choose to buy. Ensure that you go for a saw that is lightweight as this will reduce fatigue.
Q: Should I buy an aluminum or magnesium worm drive saw?
A: The magnesium models are preferred due to their lightweight. When the saw is lighter, you will be able to work for longer hours, with minimal breaks. Both aluminum and magnesium have their own advantages.
Q: Which lubricant should I use for the saw?
A: You can use any type of worm drive oil as lubrication for your saw. This is due to the non-foaming properties that such oils have, and are specially designed for the worm drive gears. It is best to confirm with the manufacturer, which oil is required.
Q: What makes the worm drive circular saw different from the conventional circular saw?
A: The worm drive gear is the key difference between these two saws. The worm drive saw has more power and it is much lighter and as such, the cuts will be more accurate. The worm drive is an upgrade of the standard circular saw.
Q: Can I use the worm drive saw to rip red oak boards that are 2 inches thick?
A: Yes, you should be able to make rip cuts on red oak board, with a worm drive saw. All you need is to ensure that you have the saw with such capacity and also use a rip blade. With a cross cuts blade, you may not be able to achieve such cuts.
The worm drive saw has revolutionized the circular saws. You are able to get a whole lot more with the worm drive gearing as the saws have more power, which improves the performance. At the end of it all, you will be able to make more cuts, in a fast and accurate manner. You will need to get the best worm drive circular saw so as to be able to take full advantage of the benefits that it offers. With this saw, you will be able to cut through different applications effortlessly.
There are made models of the market and I narrowed them down to the top 5. From the ones that I have reviewed, I recommend the DEWALT DWS535 7 1/4-Inch Worm Drive Circular Saw. This is the best worm drive saw for both hobbyists and professional. The valuable information you have gathered here can be of great help to your loved ones. Please share this guide so that others can learn and make a good decision.