The variety of wood routers in the market today is staggeringly diverse, with different features and qualities. In such a market teeming with wood routers, it can be confusing for beginners to buy the right wood routers. That’s why today, we are going to take a look at the best wood router for beginners and review each and every one of them thoroughly. Before we get to the reviews, let’s first understand the different types of routers and what purposes they serve.
There are, in all, three types of routers that you can find on the market; fixed base, plunge, or combo routers. Fixed base routers are typically considered the easiest to use for beginners and are typically used for projects involving a lot of straight-line routing. Plunge routers are the routers of choice of people with experience. Projects that require central cuts are best handled with these routers. Combo routers give users a combination of the features of both fixed base and plunge routers.
Top 5 Best Wood Router for Beginners Reviews in 2020
So, without any more delays, here are the 5 best wood router for beginners.
1. DEWALT DWP611PK 1.25 HP
A wood router that is truly capable yet beginner-friendly, the DWP611PK is yet another wood router from the reputed DEWALT that manages to impress. It’s a combo router, which means that customers get to enjoy both fixed base and plunge routing options. It’s a long-term investment for a beginner who gets better with time and learns to use a plunge router.
- Durable 1.25hp motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
- Variable speed control feature enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed...
- Clear (see through) for better visibility
- Users can make many adjustments for getting precise cuts
- Good for both beginners and experienced professionals
- Offers great control
- Low weight allows longer use
- Heavy-duty motor makes it the ideal router for several applications
- Aluminum grip can be tough to hold with sweaty hands
The heavy duty 1.25hp motor makes this router fit for a wide variety of applications and it manages to preserve high cutting speeds thanks to the continuous feedback system. Different routing tasks have to be tackled at different speeds and users can easily switch speeds on this router thanks to the variable speed control feature.
If you want precision when it comes to controlling depth, the adjustment ring offers the solution. It facilitates depth-cutting and different profiling. The router is easy to hold and offers a great degree of control, which makes it absolutely perfect for beginners.
The spindle-lock button allows users to make single-wrench bit changes in a smooth manner. Thanks to the dual LED lights, users are assured of high-visibility, even if the ambient light gets a bit on the darker side. The biggest advantage that beginners can enjoy by using this router is that they can hone their craft for longer, as the router is quite lightweight.
2. Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router
The RT0701C is a fixed-base router that is a surprisingly powerful router considering its size, which is definitely on the smaller side compared to the rest of the routers in this review. The router is suited for many different applications such as trimming laminate flooring, custom carpentry, and mortising hinges.
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 to 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the...
- Smooth rack and pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Easy to use for beginners owing to the router’s relatively low weight and its light aluminium base
- Versatile router ideal for many applications due to variable speed range of 10,000 – 30,000 RPM
- Hassle-free depth adjustment
- 11/4HP powerful motor
- The lock system could have been better
The 11/4HP motor makes the RT0701C a router that’s decent in terms of its power. The speed, ranging from 10,000 – 30,000 RPM, can be set by users depending on the application at hand. The router ensures hassle-free depth adjustment as well.
The light aluminium base is both durable and convenient to use. Additional features include the carry case, shaft wrenches, ¼-inch self-releasing collet, instruction manual, drop-forget collet and a straight-edge guide.
Making micro-fine adjustments are facilitated by the wheel on the router base’s back. All in all, the RT0701C is a router that is versatile and its small size makes it one of the best wood router for beginners.
3. Triton MOF001 2-1/4HP/13 AMP Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router
The next router to feature on this list of the best wood router for beginners is the Triton MOF001. Even though this router packs a lot of power and is a fixed-base router, its price-tag is surprisingly on the lower side. Suitable for many applications, this router is one of the standout products in this review.
- Single button switches from conventional plunge to fixed-base router with rack and pinion...
- Through base, single wrench bit change is achieved with automatic spindle lock
- Micro winder enables continuous fine depth adjustment through the full plunge mode
- Soft start and variable speed provides the perfect speed for all cutter types
- Offers great stability and control, even to beginner woodworkers
- A router that boasts of incredible power thanks to the 21/4HP, 13-amp motor
- Results delivered by this router are very accurate
- Speed can be changed by users
- Constant response circuitry
- The plunge function may lock occasionally, following which users have to manually move it, which requires quite a bit of strength.
The trigger-control system, in combination with the Electronic Modular Router System, offers impeccable control to users; perhaps the reason why this powerful router features in this beginners-oriented review.
The plunge action is smooth and when it works in tandem with the spring-lock plunge lever, it produces the most accurate results; the dream of every beginner woodworker. The speed settings can be changed by the user depending on the application. The constant response circuitry is yet another highlight of this quality router.
4. BOSCH 1617EVS 2.25 HP Electronic Fixed-Base Router
The 1617EVS router offers everything that a beginner woodworker could probably want in a router. Featuring 12-amp motor, the router is ranks high in terms of power. If you are looking for more powerful routers, you should look at some other routers listed on this review.
- 12 Amp router motor - Combines ample power with adjustable speed settings, allowing users...
- Adjustable speed dial (8000-25,000 RPM). 2 inch sub-base opening
- Fixed base has threaded holes for mounting to router table positioned in common 3-hole...
- Now includes RA1161 fixed-base with system for adjusting bit height from above a router...
Find out the best router table to compliment this great router.
- Moderately powerful router, featuring a 2.25hp motor and a 12-amp
- Variable speed and a speed range of 8,000 – 25,000 RPM
- Soft start system for easier powering on
- There are some customers who have not been satisfied with the overall design
The 1617EVS router has a speed range of 8,000 – 25,000 RPM and the speed is variable. The aluminium make may make it slightly difficult for absolute beginners to use, but once you get the hang of it, the router should be easy to use.
BOSCH includes a wrench in the packaging, which allows users to modify the router as per the work at hand. As a result, it certainly is the best router for beginners for cutting over extended periods.
Users can easily use this router with just one hand and the rounded top allows users a comfortable holding position for comfort during cutting. The router’s soft-start system stops it from escaping your hands when you power it up.
5. Porter-Cable PCE6430 Laminate Router/Trimmer
Porter-Cable’s PCE6430 Laminate Router’s qualities definitely merit its appearance in this review. Its most appealing quality has to be its price, because if you are looking for a router that offers value for money, you need to look no further than the PCE6430.
- 31,000 RPM, 4.5 amp motor
- Precision-machined, cast-aluminum fixed base
- Extra large locking clips allow for a quick motor release and/or course depth adjustment
- Depth ring enables quick and accurate bit height adjustments
Check out a quality table saw push block as well to get your woodwork set up done just right.
- Powerful yet compact router
- Cutting accuracy is enhanced thanks to precise coarse height adjustments
- Easy bit removal facilitated by the auto-release collet system
- Aluminum motor case for enhanced durability
- Dust-sealed components
- Lack of variable speed feature, which could have made the router more flexible
In terms of technical specifications, the router features an 4.5-amp and 31,000 RPM motor; the makings of a powerful router. However, the router’s only major downside is that unlike the other routers in this review, the PCE6430 does not feature variable speed. Its motor runs at a fixed speed of 31,000 RPM, which does not make it a very versatile option.
The aluminium motor case enhances the durability of the router and the over-molded grips make the router incredibly comfortable to use, particularly in applications that require extended use. All components of this router are dust-sealed, which is something that is not typically associated with reasonably priced routers.
What is the Best Wood Router for Beginners?
We have come to the end of this review, but before we decide on the winning router, let’s talk about what our considerations are for picking the winner. As it is a review of wood routers for beginners, we are going to judge the routers on how easy they are to use, how reasonably priced they are, and how accurately they cut.
By factoring in all those conditions, we have picked the Makita RT0701C. Even though it is a feature-rich wood router, it has everything that beginners want. It gives users superior control, is versatile, and packs in a load of power. And not to forget, its price-tag is quite low for the features that it gives to users.
It’s time to pull the curtains down on this review of the 5 best wood router for beginners. We hope that the reviews will help you to choose the wood router that suits your needs and purposes the best.
You may explore Top 5 Best Table Saw Miter Gauge Reviews
You must explore Top 5 Best Table Saw Fence Reviews