Getting a high quality table saw is a great thing and this is meant to improve the quality of the cuts that you make, significantly. However, it can be quite frustrating when you have such a powerful tool, but the cuts appear to be unprofessional. In such a case, you will need to get the best table saw fence and see the difference. If your saw seems to be wavering, you will need to fence it to control the quality of cuts.
When you go out shopping for a fence, you will find so many models and this can be quite a challenge. The unfortunate bit is that if you buy a poor quality fence mechanism, the quality of the cuts will still be compromised. As such, it is essential to find a quality fence and this is the main objective of this guide. I will help you pick the ideal fence for your saw.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Table Saw Fence Reviews in 2020
- 1.1 36″ Uni-t-fence Fence By Peachtree Woodworking – PW1112
- 1.2 Shop Fox W1410 Fence with Standard Rails
- 1.3 Vega U26 Table Saw Fence System: 36-Inch Fence Bar, 26-Inch to Right
- 1.4 DELTA 36-T30 T2 30-Inch Fence and Rail System
- 1.5 Vega PRO 50 Table Saw Fence System: 42-Inch Fence Bar, 50-Inch to Right
Why You Need a Saw Fence and It’s Benefits?
It is true that there are instances when you may not need a saw fence, but this is a serious gamble for a professional woodworker. You must have come to terms that the quality of your work depends on the type of tools that you have. You will need a fence to help in guiding the stock through the saw and achieve quality cuts. The saw can easily lose and end up giving unwanted cuts.
One of the greatest benefits of the saw fence is that you will be able to determine the rip capacity of your saw. You can be able to handle larger projects, as all you will need is to ensure you have a fence that is compatible with your saw. Another benefit is that the fence makes it easier to hold down the stock as it goes through the blade.
In your choice of the best table saw fence for the money, it is imperative to ensure that you find one that makes it easier to adjust the saw. It is should also align easily with the blade so that you can use the minimal time to create quality cuts.
Best Table Saw Fence Reviews in 2020
When you go out to shop for the best table saw fence, you will notice that the market has so many options to offer. While this gives you variety, narrowing down to one that serves your needs can be a daunting task. I have taken some of the best systems on the market and reviewed them. Here are my top picks:
36″ Uni-t-fence Fence By Peachtree Woodworking – PW1112
The Uni-T-Fence is one of a kind and has been rated highly by most experts as the system for both professionals and hobbyists. This is made of heavy duty aluminum and as such, you can rest assured that it will serve you for a very long time. It is quite light as well and as such, you can be able to carry around to different places, when you need to. This particular model is 36 inches long and as such, you can make use of it for moderate tasks. There are other similar models that are longer if this does not serve your needs.
One the thing that stands out in this fence system is the design. It has an extruded design, which is square, which makes it attach to different types of saws, without a problem. There is also the benefit of this system having exemplary impact strength, which is consistent, even when it is subjected to low temperatures. This is also one of the accessories that have a very high abrasion resistance, allowing it to stay in its condition. You will hardly find any scratches on this product. You can use it to achieve professional cuts as it is a high quality guide system.
The low coefficient of friction provides a great surface to allow your work piece to slide through to the place without any hitches. The beauty of this system is that it has been designed in such a manner that it can work with most woodworking saws and cutting tool. It also has a self-lubricating mechanism to avoid any friction with the surface of the table saw. In order to make use of this product, you will need to have the Delta Uni-Fence, which is bought separately. This is a worthwhile investment, especially for professional woodworkers.
Uni T Fence Core Features:
- This 36 inch guide system is made of high quality aluminum, which is an assurance of great strength and longevity.
- It comes with a unique square extruded design and as such, you can easily use it on most woodworking tools.
- There are no holes to drill and this makes the process of mounting it easy and fast.
- This is also made in such a manner that the surface will facilitate a smooth slide of the work piece to the blade.
- The Uni-T-fence has high resistance to abrasion and also displays great impact strength at low temperatures.
Shop Fox W1410 Fence with Standard Rails
Shop Fox W1410 fence is a great accessory to have as it comes with standard rails. This is rated among the strongest fence systems for saws. If you are the type of people often want to make repeated cuts that are consistent, then this would be the right guiding system to invest in. The fence has been designed in such a manner that it will secure on both ends, simultaneously. This will give you absolute rigidity, which is paramount for you to achieve total accuracy. What is interesting is the ball bearing guides that make it possible for one to move the system with a single finger.
This is an appealing guide system for various tools and it is quite versatile. The biggest advantage is the fact that you can be able to use with almost all the major saw brands. It has a length of 27 inches, which is ideal for standard tasks. The main reason why people look for a fence system is to get accuracy and the Shop Fox W1410 has made this easy, through the roller tracking system. This system will ensure that the fence and blade are aligned at all times and you may not even need the lock system.
The other reason why this appears among my top choices is the solid construction. It is made of polished anodized aluminum, which is black in color and has an option to make fine adjustments. This is provided by the micro adjustment knobs, which are located on both ends of the fence system. It has been designed in such a manner that the installation process will be easy. There is a manual that has detailed instructions on how to set it up. This is one of the easiest add-ons of the table saw and give you total accuracy.
Shop Fox Table Saw fence Core Features
- You can use the Shop Fox W1410 with any saw that will fit on tables that are 27 inches long, as this is its length.
- The ball bearing guides makes it easier to move the fence, with minimal effort.
- There are fine positioning knobs on both ends of this product and as such you will have an easy time setting up, whether you are right or left-handed.
- It locks on both end and ensures that the blade and fence alignment is not compromised.
- This is an essential fence for the table saw and works with most major saw brands.
Vega U26 Table Saw Fence System: 36-Inch Fence Bar, 26-Inch to Right
The first thing that caught my attention with the Vega U26 fence is the fact that it has a solid construction. It will allow you to make rip cuts in a clean, safe and accurate manner. When you want to make high quality cuts, you can use this system which is 36 inches long, 26 inches to the right. There are many other fences, but most of them as not as robust as this particular one. The reason why you are assured of utmost accuracy is due to the fact that the system is designed in a manner that it will lock to parallel to the blade.
This is one of the systems that come with precise measuring scales. It will allow you to make fine adjustments and once it is set, it will maintain the alignment, allowing you to make repeated cuts, which are consistent. The mounting is made to be easy as you will need to use the mounting holes that are on most saws. As long as you have a tool with mounting holes that are 8 to 9 inches, then you will have an easy time setting up this fence system. There is a detailed guide on how to use this guide system with your table saw.
Their fence also comes with front brackets, which are slotted and as such, they will allow adjustments on both the horizontal and vertical planes. The jacking plates are also an essential feature as they will help you to level the fence rails. There is no drilling that will be needed when you choose to use this system and this is quite impressive. In less than 15 minutes, you should have set up the fence on your saw, ready for use.
- This is a universal table saw fence that works with so many different saws and woodworking tools for cutting purposes.
- The overall length of this fence system is 36 inches, with 26 inches being on the right and 8 inches to the left of the blade.
- The solid construction of this saw fence makes durable and has also been designed in such a manner that it is easy to assemble.
- Works with the holes that are on the saw and as such, there will be no need to drill mounting holes.
- With a weight of 34 pounds, this is truly light and this makes it easier to handle it and make micro adjustments.
DELTA 36-T30 T2 30-Inch Fence and Rail System
The Delta 36-T30 T2 is another great fence system to have as part of your accessories for the table saw. This stands out due to the sturdy build and the welding that has been done to reinforce the joints. As such, you can use it under pressure and it will still hold firm. You can use this fence with different types of the saw as it has predrilled mounting holes. This makes the installed process quite easy. This measures 60 inches long and comes with a rail system and can support a maximum rip capacity of 30 inches.
It weighs only 30 pounds and as such, you should not have any difficulties lifting it. It is a long lasting system and can be used on various table saw. The cross section is a perfect square that measures 3 inches by 3 inches and as this is what makes it ideal for different models of saws. This is a high quality system that comes with a 3 point locking mechanism, giving you total accuracy for the cuts. There is a short guide tube that allows the fence bar to slide on easily and this guide has a scale and clamping mechanism.
As far as the mounting goes, the rail is installed on the edge of the tabletop. This is mounting is done to the edge that is closest to the user and them one that is farthest, as well. This will make it secure and be firm in place when you are making your cuts. The good news is that it will come with the mounting hardware. This is a high quality fence system that will not disappoint as it allows micro adjustments. This is a worthwhile investment if you are in search of a versatile fence system.
Table Saw Fence and Rail System Core Features
- This product comes with a steel tube fence that will glide with easy to support repetitive and fast work and does not compromise on the precision
- The fence system will be clamped to the front tube and the rear rail in a secure manner and this alignment is maintained to the end of the process.
- There is 3 point locking system on this particular model and this will give you uncompromised accuracy.
- There is an added rear clamp system that will hold down the stock when you are using feather boards and jigs.
- It comes with predrilled holes that make it easier to mount it on the saw you are using.
Vega PRO 50 Table Saw Fence System: 42-Inch Fence Bar, 50-Inch to Right
Vega Pro 50 comes with a 42 inch bar and can slide all the way up to 50 inches on the right side of the blade. This is a made by Vega, who are known to make high quality items and has a weight of 49.5 pounds, which gives it excellent stability while in use. The larger capacity is what makes this fence ideal for large tasks. There is a rectangular cross section on this table, which measures 11.9 by 4.1 inches. The rip capacity supported by Vega Pro 50 is 60 inches, with 50 on the right and 10 inches on the left side.
There are guide rails that will be mounted on the saw and the guide tube is what will be used to carry the fence as it slides through the rails. There are brackets that will support and hold the rails in position at all times. This a system that has a high rating as it does not compromise on the precision that it offers. It is quite strong and sturdy, thanks to its solid construction as it is built to last. You can make use of this table saw fence for both small and large projects and it will be perfect.
The Vega Pro 50 is compatible with the cabinet and contractor saws, due to the versatile features that it carries. The process of installation is quite easy and will just take a few minutes. There are predrilled holes that are included and the front bracket is already slotted. As such, you can make both horizontal and vertical adjustments. The jacking plates are also included to facilitate in levelling the rails. The head of the fence is made of high quality aluminum, while the front rail is pure chrome. This is a fence system that can be used with both stationary and portable saw.
Vega Pro 50 Fence System Core Features
- The Vega Pro 50 has an aluminum head and the front rail is made of chrome, which makes it strong and durable.
- The installation and mounting are easy as it comes with mounting holes that are designed for most types of saws.
- It offers a maximum capacity of 60 inches, 50 inches to the right and 10 inches on the left side of the blade.
- There are guide rails that have been included and are supported by brackets, which are 2.5 inches the height of the fence.
- This model supports micro adjustments and this is what gives you total accuracy.
How to Choose the Right One?
When it comes to the choice of the best table saw rip fence, there are a number of variables that need to be put into perspective. This is the only way that you will have a fence that serves your needs and allows you to make accurate cuts with your saw. Here are some of the critical considerations that will help you choose the right model:
The first that you need to look at is the overall construction of the saw fence. You will need to invest in one that has a solid construction so that you be sure that it will serve yours for a long time. In most cases, the ideal ones are made of aluminum or steel. This gives you the assurance that you can fully depend on your fence to work for a long time, without any problems.
Size of the Fence
The other critical bit, when it comes to shopping for a fence is the size that you need to buy. The best way to determine the size that will work to your advantage is considering the tasks that you usually accomplish with the table saw. If you have large pieces of stock, then you need a large saw and therefore a large fence. In any case, it does not make any logical sense to attach a very large fence on a small saw. There are basically two options when it comes to the size; you can choose the 30-inch or 50-inch rip capacity fence.
Ease of Installation and Use
The fence is one of the accessories that should enhance the effectiveness of the saw. No one would want something that is too complicated and takes too much time to install. Look for one that will be installed with ease and is also easy to use. You can actually find a fence that does not need additional parts to be installed. Generally, it should take less than half an hour to install a standard saw fence.
Level of Accuracy
Making accurate measurements effortlessly is the sole objective of having a fence system. As such, when you are shopping for your fence, you need to find one that supports micro adjustments. Fine adjustments will make the difference in the final cuts that you are going to achieve at the end of it all.
If you usually make several repeat cuts, you will want a fence that you can rely on. The system should be steady and allow you to make several cuts repeatedly so as to ensure that you achieve consistency in your cuts. Look at the reviews from previous customers so as to make an informed decision on the reliability of the alignment.
This is another factor that you cannot turn a blind eye to when shopping for the best table saw fence. Look for a system that you can afford, but offers your quality functionality. Do not go for the cheapest model as you may be forced to keep buying after a short while. Look at all the models that are within a specific price range and compare what each has to offer, before settling for a particular one.
How to Align Table Saw Fence?
The best table saw fence will only be of great help to you when you align it properly. Alignment of the fence is one of the maintenance tasks that you should perform every time before you can start making your cuts. When the fence is not aligned, it poses great danger, with the common one being kickbacks. The only way to reduce this risk is to align the fence and this also will assure you of accurate cuts. Here are the steps that you will need to follow to align your system:
- Start by ensuring that the table saw is not connected to the power source.
- Ensure that the blade and miter slot are aligned and parallel to each other.
- The next step is to check if the fence is aligned to the table saw. You use your finger to do this in an easy manner.
- Place the finger on the sidewall of your miter slot and slide the fence until the face flush.
- Slide the finger down to the miter slot and then back to edge and check if both ends are flush.
- If not flush, you have to adjust the fence and you can use the set crews. It is important to note that different fences may have a slight difference.
- Set the screws using an Allen wrench to thread the screws in.
- Keep adjusting the screws while testing the alignment up to the point where the ends are even.
- If you are not confident using your finger, you can confirm the alignment of the universal table saw rip fence with a dial indicator.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How do I know the right T-square to order?
A: When you are making an order for a T-square, one of the most critical things to take note of is the exact measurements of the guide rail. This is what will help you pick the right T-square and not the type of table saw.
Q: Should I remove the extension wing when I am installing the fence?
A: This is not necessary as most models are designed in such a manner that they can be mounted without having to remove the extension wing. However, it is advisable to check with the manufacturer, as well.
Q: How far do the guide rails extend on either side of the blade?
A: This will vary from brand to brand and it is advisable to pick one that favors your work. There are some with a large capacity of 60 inches and may have 50 inches on one side and 10 on the other side of the blade.
Q: Do table saw fence systems come with a measuring tape?
A: There are those that will come with a tape measure, while others will not have. As, such, it is important to check before buying so as to establish if your brand has the measuring tape or not.
Q: How difficult is it to remove the fence once I am done using it?
A: There is no difficulty in this as the fence can slide on either side and come off at the end. Most models are designed in such a way that installation and removing the fence is easy.
Finding the ideal saw fence will save you a lot of trouble and ensure that you are making high quality and accurate cuts. As you have noticed, through the table saw fence reviews, there are so many features that you can enjoy. It was not an easy task to narrow down to the top 5 models that I have reviewed, but I had to do it. This is meant to make it easier for you to find one that will serve you efficiently.
From the models that I have reviewed above, the Vega PRO 50 Table Saw Fence System: 42-Inch Fence Bar, 50-Inch to Right, stands out as the best table saw fence. It is quite versatile and has so much to offer. If you have found this guide to be useful, please feel free to share it out. Keep checking here for more update on the fence systems that are top rated, on the market.