Woodwork is one of the most interesting projects as it allows you to explore your creative nature. One of the integral tools that you will need to have is a saw. In particular, the table saw is essential as it allows to achieve different types of cuts. When it comes to the saw, the blade is quite significant as this will determine the cuts that you make. Finding the best table saw blade is important.
So, what does a good blade entail so that you can make cuts like an expert? Well, this will be, mainly determined by the type of cuts that you intend to make. In addition, the type of material that is being cut must be put into consideration as well. There are so many blades that you can choose from and I hope to make it easier for you through this article. Stay with me and by the end of this guide, you will be able to pick a good blade for your saw.
Types of Saw Blade:
Before we can take this discussion any further, it is important to understand that there are different types of blades. When looking for the best table saw blade, you need to bear in mind the different types. There are 4 main classifications of blades, which I will discuss. I will also look at other types of blades so as to give a complete picture. Each blade is designed to work in a particular manner and handle specific cuts.
The 4 main types of blades are:
- Ripping blades
- Crosscut blades
- Combination blades
- Composite blades
- Ripping Blades:
If you have any experience with saws, you must have come across the term, rip cuts. When you have to cut along the grain of the work piece, this is what is referred to as ripping. In this case, a lot of debris has to be removed. Ripping blades are quite common and have specific features that make it possible for them to rip through the stock.
Usually, they have fewer teeth, usually 20 to 30, and larger gullets or gaps between them. With this wider gullets, they will be able to remove a lot of material with a single pass. These blades are designed for faster cuts.
- Crosscut Blades:
The other type of blade that we look at is the crosscut blades, which are also not strange to most people. A crosscut refers to making a cut across the grain and does not involve the removal of a lot of material. The crosscutting blades have more teeth that are up to 90, which is about 3 times more than the teeth on the ripping blades.
With a single pass, they will remove less material, but the key advantage is the fact that they produce clean and precise cuts. As you can imagine, the more teeth mean that the gullets are smaller, which is perfect for the crosscuts.
- Combination Blades:
As the name implies, these are blades that have the capacity to carry out rip cuts and crosscuts. They are commonly referred to as general purpose blades. Having established that the main cuts that table saws perform are crosscuts and rip blades, this type of blade is ideal for a person who does both types of cutting.
While they may not be as effective as the specialty blades for ripping and crosscutting, they are quite convenient. They combine the best features of the rip and crosscut blades. Usually, they have an average number of teeth between those of crosscutting and ripping blades. The gullets are also medium sized to allow the blade execute both cuts effectively.
- Composite Blades:
In most cases, the rip and crosscut blades are meant for cutting lumber. However, you must be aware that the table saw can be used to make cuts to other types of materials. This is where these blades come into play and are known as specialized blades.
With this type of blade, you can be able to cut materials like MDF, plywood and so much more. In this category, you will find a wide range of blades and you will buy the specific one that will suit the type of material that you intend to cut.
- Specialized Blades:
In addition to the 4 main types of blades, there are other types of blades, which are meant to be used for special cuts. There is all manner of designs, but in this article, my interest is in the dado stacks. It is easy to pick from the name that the dado stacks are designed to handle dado cuts.
It is worth noting that the dado stack comes with two blades that have spacers between them. The blades will make cuts on the sides, while space will regulate the width of the cut. With the dado stack, you can make a clean and consistent dado cut, with utmost precision.
Which Saw Blade Should I Buy?
Once you buy a table saw, there is a time when you have to replace the blade or get one to suit specific needs. At this point, you will want to get a good blade that will serve the purpose. There are so many different types of blades, as I have explained above, and as such the blade to buy will be advised of the specific needs that you have.
For basic can simple cuts, the best option would be the crosscut and be ripping blades as this would help you in making rip and crosscuts. If your funds do not allow you to get separate blades for ripping and crosscutting, then you may want to consider the combination blade.
There are also specialized blades for different materials. The dado stack is not really necessary, but if you have projects that entail dado cuts, you can pick it up. Generally, the best table saw blade is one that will help you get the desired cuts.
Our Top Pick Best Table Saw Blade On The Market 2018
With the different types of blades as well as varied models, you may feel confused, but there is no reason to. I have narrowed down to some of the best rated blades on the market to help you with the decision and get the best table saw blade. Here are the top picks that you may want to consider:
Freud 10″ x 40T Next Generation Premier Fusion General Purpose Blade for Crosscuts (3/8″ to 3-1/2″) & Rips (3/4″ to 1-1/2″) wood, laminate, veneered plywood, hardwoods & melamine. (P410)
The combination of precise tensioning, fused tooth and blade rigidity is what makes this blade stand from other models. This blade has a special carbide blend that is combined with carbide brazing. This makes it give you clean and precise cuts when you are using. This is a combination blade that will give you ultimate cuts, whether you are performing crosscuts or rip cuts. This is a single blade that has been designed to tackle any cutting task. The 10 inch blade comes with 40 teeth and this gives you a clean cut at all times.
The Hi-ATB teeth are fused with side-grind geometry to give you exceptional performance. The anti-vibration properties on the body of the blade is another remarkable feature that will ensure that the cuts are smooth and accurate. This is a versatile blade that will be able to handle big projects all the way, without having to change the blade. You can make use of this blade for both hardwood and softwood and get a clean finish. The blade is pretensioned in such a manner that it will handle heavy duty cutting without compromising on precision.
This blade is laser cut and is made from high gauge steel and as such, you can be sure that it will be stable and remain true all through. The teeth are quite sharp and have excellent ability to retain edge tension. The general idea behind the design of this blade is that it can withstand tough applications. It has a Perma-Shield coating that is nonstick and as such, it will reduce friction. In addition to this, you will not have to worry about heat buildup, meaning that you work for extended periods, without affecting the quality of the cuts. This lubrication will allow the blade to spin without overwhelming the motor. This is a blade that will save you time and money and is worth buying.
Freud General Purpose Blade Core Features
- This is a combination blade that can support both rip cuts and crosscuts, with its 40 teeth and has a diameter of 10 inches.
- It is a laser cut blade that is made from high quality steel that will ensure longevity and stability that all times.
- The teeth are quite sharp and have the ability to provide excellent edge retention, which guarantees you a smooth finish.
- The Perma-Shield is a nonstick coating that is on the blade to reduce friction and also minimize blade drag.
- This model comes with anti-vibration slots that will minimize vibration and movement to the sides during the cut.
Forrest WW10407100 Woodworker II 10-Inch 40-tooth ATB .100 Kerf Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor
The thin kerf is one of the features that stand out on the Forrest saw blade. This is another perfect combination blade that can be used for rips and crosscuts on hardwoods, which are as thick as 2 inches. This is a general purpose blade with a 10 inch diameter and 40 teeth. This is an ideal blade for any table saw with less than 3 HP. The teeth are unique in that they have an alternating tooth bevel at 15 degrees and a face hook at 20 degrees. This creates an easy feed for the carbide tipped blade to produce smooth cuts.
The blade has a 5/8 inch arbor and is known to deliver superior cuts. Unlike other blades that will leave some rough edges, the Forrest blade will deliver a very smooth rip cut, which seems to be sanded and the crosscuts that do not have any defects. If there is something that you will appreciate about the blade is the fact that it is really quiet, even when it is cutting through rough applications. When you cut through plywood, there is hardly any tear-out to notice as the blade is known to deliver clean results.
The superior quality of the blade is attributable to the fact that it is handmade. Tensioning on the blade is done by hand and carbide teeth are brazed by hand, which gives assurance of great quality. The advantage of getting this blade is that the company offers sharpening services that ensure that the blade goes back to its original state. This is an all-round blade that will give you clean and polished cuts, whether you are making rip cuts or crosscuts. The ATB tooth style is worth mentioning and for sure this qualifies as the best table saw blade for your money.
Forrest woodworker ii 10 saw blade Core Features
- The extra thin kerf of .100 will allow you to save up to 1/5 of the wood loss for every single pass, with this blade.
- This is a combination blade that comes with 40 teeth and can perform both crosscuts and rip cuts.
- The blades are handmade and the carbide is brazed by hand, which is an excellent assurance of quality.
- It feeds easily when you are using it on the table saw to make moderates crosscuts and rips.
- It gives you ultimate pull control and this reduces jump in, resulting in very clean cuts, which are smooth and sanded.
DEWALT DW3106P5D60I Series 20 10-Inch 60T Fine Finish Saw Blade, 2-Pack
Whenever you go shopping for a table saw blade, your main concern should be the quality and the value that you will get. The DEWALT DW3106P5D0I Series 20 is a blade that has so much to offer. This comes as a pack of 2 blades and is specially designed to handle cutting applications on different materials. You can use this to cut through chipboard, hardwood, softwood as well as plywood. This blade can be supported by a miter saw or even the table saw, which makes it quite versatile. If you are looking for a blade to give you a smooth and fine finish, then this would be a perfect choice.
This ranks high among the professional quality saw blades, due to the innovative features that it has. It comes with a high quality and very thin kerf, which will give you a smooth and fast cutting action. You will have very little waste for every pass that you make with this blade, which is the key reason why professional woodworkers choose to use it. The accuracy that you will achieve with the blade is exceptional. This is due to the fact that it has a plate that is balanced using a computer. This will drastically reduce the vibration to give you the precision required.
The large diameter of the saw is what makes it possible to cut through a wide range of materials effortlessly. It also comes with an exclusive wedge shoulder design, which is quite convenient. This design has provided more steel for each tip and as such, this makes it durable and enhances the accuracy. The blade had an anti-stick coating that will reduce gum up and friction. This will also prevent any corrosion on the blade, making it a perfect choice for anyone who is keen on achieving clean and smooth cuts.
DEWALT Finish Saw Blade Core Features
- This is considered to be a value pack as it comes with 2 blades in a single pack, making it an economical choice.
- It has a professional quality kerf, which is quite thin and this will give you a smooth cutting operation.
- With this blade, you can be able to cut through different materials and get a fine finish.
- The computer-balanced plate is another feature that is worth mentioning in that it will reduce vibration to give you smooth and accurate cuts.
- The wedge shoulder design is exclusive to this model and this is responsible for increasing the accuracy and longevity.
Oshlun SDS-0630 6-Inch 30 Tooth Stack Dado Set with 5/8-Inch Arbor
This is the great set to have if you have the intention of making dado cuts. This is a dado stack that comes with 16 pieces. If you are looking to make premium cuts, then this will be an ideal option and the fact that it is affordable is an added advantage. It comes with a high tooth count of 30, which is meant to produce dado cuts that are smooth. The arbor of 5/8 inch is convenient and contributes significantly to the precision of this set of blades. You can make cuts that range from ¼ inch to 29/32 inches.
The tips of the blade are made of precision ground C-4 micro grain tungsten carbide. This the key reason why they will remain sharp for a long time and be able to cut through different types of materials with ease. You can use this set of blades to cut softwood, hardwood and plywood. The full body chippers have also been included on this set to make it easier to set up the saw and this blade will reduce the vibration. As such you will be sure of a clean and smooth cut at the end.
When you get this set, you will not struggle with anything as it comes with a comprehensive set of instructions that you can follow through. There is also a shim set that will facilitate the fine adjustments when you need to use the dado blades. The full color storage case is also unique and quite useful. This set is designed to be able to cut undersized so as to be able to support plywood that has insignificant thickness. The blades will produce nominal tear marks and will also be able to get rid of splintering and tear out.
Oshlun 6 inch dado blade Core Features
- This dado stack comes with a set of 16 blades, which is quite economical, seeing the value that it has to offer.
- The professional grade C-4 carbide tips are always sharp and ideal to achieve smooth and accurate cuts.
- This set full body chippers, unlike the other sets that come with the winged chippers. This will reduce vibration and enhance the accuracy of the cuts.
- There is a shim set for the finer adjustments of the blades and you will also get detailed instructions with this set.
- The blade has a diameter of 6 inches and 30 dado teeth, 5 chipper teeth as well a 5/8 inch arbor and this is why you will be able to cut through different materials with ease.
Concord Blades WCB1000T080HP 10-Inch 80 Teeth TCT General Purpose Hard & Soft Wood Saw Blade
If you are a hobbyist or a professional woodworker, with different types of projects, then this might be the right blade to get. The Concord blade is general purpose and as such, this means that you can use it for rips as well crosscuts. This is a carbide blade that comes with 80 teeth and as such, you will be in a position to create a smooth finish in different products and materials. The good news is that you can cut through various materials like softwoods, plywood, hardwood, decking and wood composites among others.
With the numerous teeth, the 10 inch blade has smaller gullets between the teeth and this is responsible for ensuring that you will have a fine finish. In addition, due to the smaller gaps, there will be a minimal waste of the materials that are cut. The ATB grind is specially designed to ensure that the teeth will give you clean cuts and reduce the tear out. There is a 15 degree hook angle as well on this blade and this is quite convenient and useful. The kerf is 2.6mm and this of professional quality to ensure that you get a smooth cutting procedure.
This is truly a versatile blade as it can be used with table saws, circular saws, miter saws, chop saws and hand saws among others. Essentially, this will work with any saw that has a motor that has an RMP of up to 5,500. You will use the blade to rip and crosscut hardwoods with a thickness of up to 3 ½ inches and softwoods that are 1 inch thick. You can make use of this blade for exotic and abrasive wood and you will be pleased with the quality of the cuts that you will achieve.
Concord 10-Inch General Purpose Blade Core Features
- This set of Concord blade comes with a thin kerf design of 2.6 mm, which is quite convenient and supports the ATB grind system.
- This is professional quality blade that is meant to be used for crosscutting and ripping of different types of material.
- There is a 15 degree hook. The lower hook angle will increase the pressure feed and also enhance the surface quality of the cuts made.
- The advantage of the thin kerf is that it will reduce the waste on each pass and this ensures a smooth and clean finish.
- Works with miter saws, chop saws, circular saws, hand saws and table saws that have a maximum RPM of 5,500.
DEWALT DW7670 8-Inch 24-Tooth Stacked Dado Set
With a dado stack, one is can make dado cuts effortlessly. The DEWALT DW7670 8-Inch Stacked Dado Set is one of a kind and comes is a 24 tooth set that is considered to be unique. This model has laser cut plates, which will enhance the accuracy of the cuts that are made. The fact that it has micro-grain carbide teeth is also an added advantage. This will ensure that you get accurate and clean cuts as it will reduce any cases of splintering significantly. This is an ideal dado set for professional experts who want high quality cuts.
The set has 4 tooth chippers which will give you a smooth and flat bottom cuts. In addition, the shims, which are made of stainless steel give you an ideal platform to make micro-fine adjustments on the width. Anyone who is conscious of quality will definitely love this set of the blade as it will come in handy for a number of woodwork projects like making cabinets. As far as the storage goes, this dado stack comes with a heavy duty case that will keep the blades safe and protected from damage by the chipped teeth.
The set of blades allow the users to make different types of cuts that will be clean and smooth. Some of the cuts that you can make include tenons, rabbet cuts, dado cuts and half-lap joints. You will cut through a wide range of materials as well, including softwood, melamine, hardwood and plywood. The blades have a diameter of 8 inches and the arbor size is 5/8 inches, with a hook angle of 12 degrees. The tooth grind is ATB+R and the maximum speed for this blades in 7000 RPM. With this set of dado blades, you will not have any limitations in terms of the projects that you can undertake.
Dewalt dw7670 8 24t stacked dado set Core Features
- This is a dado stack that comes with a set of dado blades with 4 tooth chippers to give you smooth and flat bottom cuts.
- The heavy gauge plates are laser cut and this is one of the key reasons why the cuts you will get are true and accurate.
- This set comes with a heavy duty storage case that offers ultimate protection against the chipped teeth and any form of damage.
- The splintering is reduced to a significant level and as such you will get clean cuts, which is made possible by the micro-grin carbide teeth.
- This dado stack has shims, made of stainless steel and these will give room for ultra-fine width adjustments.
How to Align or Adjust Table Saw Blade?
If you have already managed to get the best table saw blade, the other significant thing to do is understand how to align or adjust the blade. When the blade is not aligned, then you can be sure that you will have poor quality cuts and there is also a very high possibility of suffering serious injuries.
As such, you need to ensure that your stops will hold up to the highest level and the bevel stops also need to be correct. Here are some of the key steps to ensure that the blade is aligned to the table:
- You will need to have a precision triangle and also a 1/1000 inch feeler gauge. When you have this in place, just hold the triangle in a vertical and perpendicular angle to the blade.
- You should make sure that the 90-degree corner is running into the blade completely. The feeler gauge should be used to ensure that there is space left from the top to the bottom.
- Make use of any of the 45 degrees corners to check the accuracy of your bevel stops. Always use the same measure of less than 1/1000 inch gap.
- In the event that the bevel stops need to be adjusted, you need to refer to the manual as different saw models may vary in the adjustment.
With this, you will be able to have the blade back to the vertical and aligned to the table. If you want to adjust the blade, here are some simple steps to follow:
- Start by shutting off the power and unplugging the saw from the electrical outlet. This is to prevent any accidental start of the saw when making adjustments.
- Raise the blade to the highest cutting position
- Take off the blade guard assembly
- Loosen the bevel stop and set the blade to 90 degrees and then tighten the bevel lock.
- Place a mark on the right side of any blade tooth using a marker pen.
- Rotate this marked tooth to ½ inch above the table.
- Set up the combination square such that it touches the marked tooth.
- Check the alignment of the blade
- Finally, adjust your blade if it is not aligned. You will use the adjustment screw to do this.
- Place back the blade guard once the adjustment is complete
Q: What causes my blade to vibrate when it gets to maximum speed?
A: There are several reasons for this and you should start by ensuring that the blade is mounted properly. Also, check the collars and the arbor to ensure that they are clean. There may be also slippage of the drive belt.
Q: Why do I get wider cuts than the blade kerf?
A: This is certainly an alignment issue. You need to check that if the blade is aligned to the fence. When feeding the work piece, it should be parallel to the blade to get an accurate cut.
Q: Why do I feel like my blade is getting a heavy cut?
A: There are a number of possible reasons why your blade may be cutting heavy. This may be as a result of using a slow cutting speed or having the hook angle incorrect. If the blade is blunt, it may also drag the cutting.
Q: The neck of my blade tooth broke, what could have been the cause?
A: In most cases, the neck of the tooth on the blade will break when the blade is set very high. When setting the blade height, always ensure that the gullets clear the top of the stock.
Q: What is the meaning of the resin coating I am getting on my blade?
A: One of the main causes is the fact that you may have set the RPM to be too high, as such, it creates heat between the material being cut and the blade. The other possible reason is using too many teeth for the specific application.
Blades are undeniably the life of any saw. Without a proper blade, all the cutting tasks will be futile and you will not enjoy woodwork projects. There are so many types of blades for the table saw as you have seen in this guide. Making a decision on the specific one to buy for your saw may be quite confusing, but I know have to come this far it will be much easier.
From the models that I have reviewed here, I recommend the Concord Blades WCB1000T080HP 10-Inch 80 Teeth TCT General Purpose Hard & Soft Wood Saw Blade as the best table saw blade. This will not disappoint you whether you are making ripping cuts or crosscuts. If this guide has been meaningful and helpful, please feel free to share it around with your loved ones so that they can gain some knowledge as well.