Woodworking is one of the most exciting professions that you can undertake. However, the success of your projects will depend on the type of tools that you use. If you are looking for a smooth finish in your woodwork, you would need to sand the workpiece. Manual sanding can be quite tedious and as such, getting the best spindle sander may be your way out. This is a tool that is effective when you need to have smooth edges and rounded parts. The other sanders may not be able to deliver such a result as they lack the capability.
The spindle sanders are unique in that they will be rotating while moving up and down and this is the motion that ensures that the entire stock is sanded. Seeing that there are so many products that are said to be the ideal for sanding, one may be confused. If you are working on projects that require sanding of rounded edges, then you must have the right tool. I will take you through some of the top rated spindle sanders on the market to help you make a conclusive decision and buy the right machine.
Best Spindle Sander On the Market In 2021
Seeing that the market has so many models of spindle sanders, you may be confused when you need to buy one. I have taken the time to test a couple of tools and have been able to narrow this down to the top 5 models. Although you may assume that all of them are similar, there are some differences and I will be able to bring them out clearly, through these spindle sander reviews. At the end of this guide, I believe that you should be in a better position to make a decision that favors your needs.
Here are the top rated models on the market!
1. WEN 6510T 3.5 Amp Oscillating Spindle Sander
The WEN 6510 is a great sander to have when you need to sand rounded edges. This is an oscillating sander and you do not have to struggle with the edges that need sanding. This has been designed as a tool that will give you the best sanding experience for curves, arcs, odd shapes as well as contours. This comes with a lightweight design and in the event that you need to move with it, it becomes much easier. It is only 35 pounds and as such, it passes as a mobile sander that you can move with to different job sites.
WEN 6510T Spindle Sander Features
- The Wen sander has a 3.5 amp powerful motor with ½ HP and it is able to deliver 2,000 RPM and 58 OPM.
- There is 80 grit sanding sleeves that are availed in 6 different sizes, namely 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/2, 2 and 3 inches, to be able to handle a wide range of projects.
- The dust port will allow you to connect to a dust collector and this makes the process of dust management fast and easy.
- This model weighs only 35 pounds and has a compact design, which makes it an ideal option, even if you have to move around with it.
- There is onboard storage keeps all the accessories organized and as such, you will be able to access them easily for quick changes.
You will be impressed with the compact design of this model and do not assume that this affects the power of the wen oscillating spindle sander. It has adequate power as it comes with a ½ HP 3.5 AMP motor, which is quite powerful and is able to deliver up to 58 oscillations and up to 2000 rotations per minute. This is on the 5/8 inch stroke, which is sufficient for most sanding tasks, along curves. When you buy this model, you will have 6 sanding sleeve attachments, which are 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/2, 2 and 3 inches in size.
In addition, the sander has 5 rubber drums, which allow you to handle different tasks and to match your needs. There is onboard storage that will keep the sleeves, spindles, washers and the table inserts organized. This makes it easy to access them for fast changes. The dust port allows you to connect to a dust extractor such that you will have a clean working environment at all times. There is a work table that gives you enough working space as it measures 15 x 11.5 inches.
2. JET 708404 JBOS-5 5-1/2 Inch 1/2 Horsepower Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander
The JET 1/2 HP Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander is ranked as the best benchtop spindle sander and this is as a result of the amazing features that it has. This tool used an oscillating and as such, it will reduce friction and be able to extend the life of the tool, while protecting the wood. This is an improved model, which has been enhanced to improved functionality. It comes with a relocated on and off switch, which is sealed to prevent any dust contamination. The overall design is unique and delivers exceptional results.
JET 708404 Spindle Sander Features
- The JBOS-5 comes with a powerful ½ HP motor, which will be able to accommodate, even the toughest sanding projects.
- If you have angled sanding tasks, this is the right sander as it comes with a table that tilts up to 45 degrees.
- The 1 inch spindle is ideal as it will deliver a smooth and clean finish on your work piece.
- For improved stability and to enhance your safety, the tool has non-skid rubber feet that ensure it does not slip when in use.
- Their onboard storage racks that are used for storing table inserts and sleeves and this makes it easier to change them as they are within reach.
The one inch oscillations are quite convenient as they will prevent any friction heat and there will be consistent results. The main spindle support is run by precision ball bearings and a heavy duty worm and gear system. This gives you a dependable and accurate performance for each task that you take up. This mode comes with a ½ Ho motor, which is quite powerful and will be able to handle all the sanding projects. There is a 2 inch built in dust port and table inserts which will prevent any dust from getting into the motor.
This tool is also known to give you amazing flexibility and as such, you can easily handle different jobs, without a problem. The table tilts up to 45 degrees and this allows you to handle bevel sanding tasks. There are built-in storage racks that will be used to store spindles and table inserts, making it easy to reach them for faster changes. This tool has 4 non-skid rubber feet that ensure that it is stable during operation. If you are looking for a clean and scratch-free finish, this is the right spindle sander to buy.
3. Shop Fox W1831 1/2 HP Single Phase Oscillating Spindle Sander
One of the reasons why I would rank the Shop Fox as the best spindle sander is the fact that it is built to last. The rugged parts are carefully put together and there is a rigidity quality control program which ensures that you have a smooth and safe operation. This oscillating sander is ideal for all the sanding operations on smooth edges. When you have to make cuts using a scroll saw or a band saw, this would be the sander to work with. This is a tool that gives you a wide range of functionality.
Shop Fox W1831 Spindle Sander Features
- This Shop Fox spindle sander has an efficient dust port, which you can easily connect your dust collector too and manage the dust and debris, effectively.
- It comes with a ½ HP motor, with 3.5 amps and this is powerful as it delivers 58 oscillations per minute and up to 2000 rotations per minute.
- With a weight of only 30 pounds and compact design, it is portable and easy to move around when you have to use it.
- This is a single phase oscillating sander and as such, it will be able to deliver a smooth and clean finish on your surface.
- It comes with a total of 6 sanding sleeve sizes, gives you the versatility to be able to achieve all that you want in sanding curved edges.
There are 6 spindle sizes that have been included and as such, any sanding task that will come your way, you will be able to handle it. There is a built-in storage, which you can use to keep the spindles, sleeves, washers and table inserts organized, for easier access. The inserts are used to close the gap between the drum and table inserts and this will reduce any chances of the sander pinching the workpiece. With the 1 ½ inch dust port, you will be in a position to manage dust effectively and have a very clean work environment when you connect a dust collector.
The locking power switch is another feature that you will love on this model. This comes with a removable key and as such, you will be able to prevent any unpermitted use. There is a table that is made of heavy duty cast iron table, which will support all the work that needs to be completed. The 3.5 motor with ½ HP is so powerful and delivers up to 58 OPM and 2000 RPM and a 5/8 inch stroke. This model weighs about 30 pounds and as such, it is convenient when you need to move about with it.
4. Triton TSPS450 Oscillating Spindle Sander
If you need to sand rounded edges or areas that have odd shapes, you cannot use a standard machine. Manual sanding will also not deliver the expected results. As such, it is best to pick a tool that is ideal for the job and the Triton TSP450 is the best sander for this task. This comes with a number of features that you will find to be ideal for the set task. This is a bench top model and as such, you can easily move around with it and it is quite stable, giving you the desired precision and smooth operation.
Triton TSPS450 Spindle Sander Features
- The Triton sander is ideal for sanding arcs, curves, contours and any surface that may have irregular shapes.
- There is a powerful motor, with 450W and this is able to deliver a no-load speed of 58 OPM and 2000RPM.
- There is a cast iron table that is durable and gives you exceptional support, even for longer stock.
- There is onboard storage that will be used for storage of essential accessories and this makes it easier to access them when you need to make changes.
- There are sanding sleeves in 6 different sizes and they come with matching rubber drums as well as table inserts.
The performance of this Triton spindle sander is impressive and will not disappoint. The model will spin up to 2000 rotations per minute and has 58 oscillations per minute. The 3.5 amp motor is quite powerful and the beauty of it is that it comes with very low noise levels. The integrated dust port is a useful feature as it allows you to collect the dust as you work and this will ensure your work area is always clean. These are some of the features that make sure that you will get a professional finish for every sanding project.
The cast iron table is also instrumental in that it will provide great support for larger stock and this makes it a reliable model. With the oscillating action, the chances of friction are reduced and this prevents any heating or band marks and also extend the life of the sanding sleeves. There are 6 sanding sleeve sizes, which are included and they come with matching rubber drums as well as table inserts. This means that you will pick the exact size that suits your projects and this delivers a professional finish.
5. POWERTEC OS1400 14″ Oscillating Spindle Sander
Sanding irregular shapes can be quite demanding and frustrating if you do not have the right tools. However, the POWERTEC spindle sander makes it easier can convenient for you. This particular model comes with a 14 inch cast iron table, which gives you the ideal support for the workpiece. This is rated among the best sanders as it comes with unique elements that are hardly found on others that are in the same category. This is the right tool when you want to sand curves on wood and it makes it possible to have the best results.
POWERTEC OS1400 Spindle Sander Features
- The POWERTEC sander will give you a faster sanding operation for curves, arcs and rounded edges, as opposed to the regular sanding.
- The speed of 30 oscillations per minute is quite effective as it will reduce any friction heat that may burn the wood.
- There is a built in dust port, which you can easily connect to a dust management system and this leaves you with a clean working surface.
- There are different sleeve sizes and matching drums and as such, this is quite versatile as it allows you to work on various models.
- The sander comes with a 14 inch diameter cast iron table, which sufficient working space to support longer work pieces.
There is a dust port that has been included on this sander and as such, you can easily connect a dust collector to it and ultimately be able to manage dust effectively. The 6 sizes of drums are part of this sander and as such, you will be able to work on different applications and get amazing results. The 2.6 amp motor is quite powerful and is able to deliver up to 1800 RPM on the 5/8 inch spindle stroke. The spindle speed is 30 SPM which is adequate and will help you get those unique angles with ease.
When you choose to by this model, you will get so much more than the normal spindle sander offers. The 14 inch spindle makes the process of sanding faster and so much easier, than when you would be using a traditional sander. For those accessories that you need to use on the job, there is an onboard storage rack that keeps them organized and makes it easier to reach them. This model is affordable as it is cheaper than other models but may not give you as much power as you would get on other models with 3.5 amps.
How Do You Pick The Right Spindle Sander?
At the beginning of this guide, I informed you that there are so many brands and models of the spindle sanders and this may make the process of getting the right one, quite challenging. However, through my experience, I have come up with some ways and factors that you can use to be able to pick the best spindle sander. Through the pointers that I will share, shortly, you should be able to make a good decision and have the right tool that will serve your needs, effectively. Here are some things to consider when buying a spindle sander:
- Motor Power
It is imperative to always remember that the power output is what makes a powerful tool effective. When you are shopping for the sander, you need to look at the power that the motor has. The motor is what will determine the performance that you will end up getting. In most cases, the best options are the ones that have at least 3.5 AMPs on the motor. This would be useful and has the power to handle different sanding tasks.
- Work Table
Most sanders will be bench top models, while there are others that come as standalone models. If you are going to pick a model with a work table, you should go for one that has enough space that will accommodate the largest workpiece that you will need to handle. It is at this point that you will also need to ensure that you have a table that has a solid construction that will last long.
- Noise Levels
As you can imagine, the motor will produce some levels. This is a powerful tool and it will have some noise levels depending on how it has been made. It is advisable to wear ear protection when working with any power, but none the less, you need to find the one that has a quiet motor. Any model that has at least 89 decibels should be good enough and not a nuisance to your neighbors.
There are certain models that have been known to be consistent over the years in the production of high-quality tools. Some of the common models that you can choose from include POWERTEC, WEN, Triton and Grizzly among others. Do not rush for the newer models that seem to be cheaper as they may be a serious comprise on your security. Go for the renowned brands so that you can be sure that you have a worthwhile investment.
- Dust Collection
Dust collection is also an essential consideration when shopping for a spindle sander. During the sanding process, there is definitely a whole lot of dust that will be generated. You should choose a model that is compatible with a dust management system that works for you. This ensures that your work environment is clean and you do not have to deal with a whole lot of dust.
- Additional Accessories
The accessories that you have will determine the results of the sanding quality that you will get. There are a number of models that come with various spindle sizes and rubber drum spindles. Such models give you great versatility and allow you to accomplish so much. Having a tool that comes with on-board storage for the accessories is an additional benefit and you should pick such a model, by all means possible.
If you want to know more how to choose the best sander you can check here – https://bestsawreviews.com/how-to-choose-a-sander/
Despite their compact design and minute size, the spindle sanders are power tools which can really cause serious injuries. As such, even if you have the best spindle sander for the money, you need to ensure that you are observing the highest safety standards. Here are some useful safety tips that you should bear in mind when working with a sander:
- Ensure that you have gone through and comprehended the instructions that are on the owner’s manual before attempting to use it.
- You check to ensure that the work piece is not touching the spindle before turning the sander on.
- You need to wear protective wear for your safety, including safety goggles and ear protection when operating your sander.
- When you turn on the sander, you should allow it to come to full speed before you can start the sanding process.
- The dust collector should be turned on when you want to start sanding your stock.
- Your fingers need to be at least 1 inch away from the spindle at any given time to avoid any injuries.
- You should never wear loose clothing when operating the spindle sander and also ensure that your sleeves are rolled up.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the noise levels of the spindle sander?
A: The noise levels will vary depending on the particular model that you choose to buy. In most cases, the noise levels are as that of a table saw, when it is running, but not cutting.
Q: What is the maximum thickness of the stock that can be sanded with a spindle sander?
A: There maximum thickness for the stock to sand should be 5 inches if you want to get a good result.
Q: How do you collect dust with the spindle sander?
A: Most models of the spindle sander come with a dust port, which you can use to connect to a vacuum or any other dust collection system that works for you.
Q: Can I use my spindle sander on metal?
A: Yes, you can actually use this on metal. However, you need to note that you will use up the drums pretty fast, but it should be able to do a good job.
Q: Does this work as a wet sander?
A: You should never use this as a wet sander as this could cause serious hazards. The motor is usually under the spindle and as such, any water that may be used would cause a short circuit and end up destroying the tool.
Getting the right for the job is paramount as it will determine the success that you get. If you have been working on workpieces that are curved and have rounded edges, you will agree with me that sanding can be quite a difficult task. This is why you would need to have a spindle sander as it is specially designed for that function. Seeing the various models that are the market, this guide should help you with your buying decision.
From the top rated models that I have reviewed, I pick the Shop Fox W1831 1/2 HP Single Phase Oscillating Spindle Sander as the best spindle sander. This comes with so many amazing features that will make your work easier and convenient. If you have any questions or suggestions, drop your comment below. Please share this guide with your loved ones so that they can pick the right spindle sander.