Are looking for a way to transform your artwork significantly? Well, you will need to find the best scroll saw as this helps you to create unique workpieces.
The scroll saw is a tool that will allow you to make intricate shapes on different types of materials. With this tool, you will be able to make incredible artworks for pleasure, or even for sale. The beauty of having a scroll saw is that it is safe to have and easy to use. There are so many models on the market, which means that you can easily find one that suits your needs.
However, the biggest challenge is being able to tell apart the various types of scroll saws. They come with huge differences, which may require professional assistance in making a choice. I will provide scroll saw reviews and all the information that you will need to be able to make the right decision.
I know that you may not have the time to research and compare the different scroll saws on the market. This is why I have done it for you and even picked the top models that will serve your needs. At the end of this guide, you will definitely be in a position to make a good buying decision.
Table of Contents
- 1 5 Best Scroll Saw Reviews 2022
- 1.1 1. DEWALT Scroll Saw DW788 1.3 Amp 20 Inch Variable Speed
- 1.2 2. Shop Fox Scroll Saw W1713 16 Inch Variable Speed
- 1.3 3. WEN Scroll Saw 3921 16 Inch Two Direction Variable Speed
- 1.4 4. Dremel Scroll Saw MS20-01 Moto-Saw Variable Speed Compact Kit
- 1.5 5. ShopSeries RK7315 16″ Scroll Saw with Variable Speed Control
- 1.6 Things to Consider Buying a Scroll Saw
- 1.7 10 Safety Tips When Using a Scroll Saw
Why Scroll Saw and Its Benefit?
A scroll saw is a powerful tool and this will give you perfect scrolling action. You will have full control of the sawing action as the arm moves up and down to make the desired cuts. The modern saws come with electric motors, which contributes to their compact design. With the scroll saw, there is virtually no shape that you cannot cut out and the advantage is that it can be on different materials.
When you buy the best scroll saw, you will be treated to so many benefits. This is a valuable tool to have in your workshop. The benefits cut across professionals and hobbyists who are into making high-quality crafts. Here are some of the outstanding benefits of having a scroll saw:
- With a scroll saw, you have the ability to make intricate patterns that have a small radius curve and also make cuts within a design and perimeters.
- The scroll saw uses very small and thin blades and at the end of the cuts, you will not need to sand the edges since they are smooth and clean.
- This is easy to use tool and has a compact size. As such, you will have greater control and enjoy the enormous power that the model produces.
- You can be able to cut out a jigsaw puzzle using a scroll saw as it produces little kerf, making it a versatile tool, which is ideal for intarsia and segmentation projects.
- The scroll saw is affordable and will produce attractive pieces of work, within a short while. In short, this is a saw that will produce smooth and clean cuts, with little effort.
5 Best Scroll Saw Reviews 2022
Shopping for any product involves making comparisons on a number of things so as to come up with the best choice. This is the same when you need to find the best scroll saw. With hundreds of models and brands on the market, it may take you a long time to pick the right one.
I have done proper research and tested a couple of models and this is what informed the scroll saw reviews below. These are the top-rated scroll saws that you can consider buying for your workshop or home use.
1. DEWALT Scroll Saw DW788 1.3 Amp 20 Inch Variable Speed
The beauty of the Dewalt DW788 scroll saw is the fact that it gives you a smooth and quiet operation, which ensures that the cuts are accurate. This comes with a tool-free blade clamp and this will allow fast and for the stock easy blade changes.
If you are keen on productivity, this is the right model as it is designed to give you detailed results on your workpieces. This is a durable model as it comes with a cast iron table, which provides great support. The placement of the arm is convenient and will make it easier to bevel.
Dewalt variable speed scroll saw Core Features
- The DEWALT DW788 has a convenient blade clamp mechanism that makes it easier to change the blades since it does not require any tools.
- The double parallel-link arm design is useful as it will reduce the vibration, allowing the saw to run smoothly and quietly, resulting in accurate cuts.
- The arm on the DW788 will lift and thereby making the blade to thread through the materials, without any difficulty.
- There is a flexible dust blower is convenient as it will clear any debris from the cut line, ensuring that cuts are extremely accurate.
- This saw comes with a sturdy that is made of cast iron, which makes it durable.
This is a great model, which is designed to give you accurate results. The 20 inch saw comes with a variable speed control. The speed ranges from 400 to 1,750 strokes per minute and as such, you will make fast and accurate cuts.
The DW788 is a dependable scroll saw made by DEWALT and comes with a convenient dust blower, which keeps the work surface clean at all times. With the dust being blown off, you will have a clear vision of the cuts that you are making. There is an on and off switch speed control and there is a blade tensioning lever, which is easy to reach.
You will definitely love the unique design of the arm. It comes with a parallel-link arm that will reduce vibration and help deliver on both fronts. With reduced vibration, you will be able to make accurate cuts.
The 1.3 amp is powerful enough to give the saw the ability to make cuts that are ¾ inches long and up to 2 inches deeps. The arm fits easily and as such you will be able to thread the blade through the materials, easily, when you have to make interior cuts. The scroll saw weighs 56 pounds but is easy to move around.
2. Shop Fox Scroll Saw W1713 16 Inch Variable Speed
One of the best things about the Shop Fox W1713 is its simplicity. This is a model that does not come with so much complication and I find it to be the best scroll for anyone who wants to achieve intricate shapes. With this saw, you will be able to scroll without any difficulty.
The beauty of this model is that it will work with both pinned and unpinned blades and as such, you will get so much versatility and be able to scroll on different materials. You will also realize that it comes with a number of convenient features.
Shop Fox Scroll Saw Features
- With a variable speed feature, the Shop Fox W1713 has the capacity to make cuts on different types of materials, with total accuracy as the speed is moderate.
- This is one of the most versatile scroll saws as it will accept both the pinned and unpinned blades, giving you a wide range of cuts.
- There is a light that has been included on the Shop Fox W1713 scroll saw and this will illuminate the work area to enhance the accuracy of the cuts.
- The cast iron table comes with a tilt function and will also be locked into the horizontal position so as to make horizontal cuts.
- The dust blower and dust port will be useful in dust management and as such, the debris will be cleared from the workpiece.
There is a light that will illuminate the work area so that you can make accurate cuts. In a bid to ensure that the cuts are precise, there is also a dust blower and a dust port, which will ensure that all the debris and waste materials are taken up.
All you need to do is focus on the task at hand and not the cleanup. The variable speed is another amazing feature that you will love on this model. As such, you will have the convenience of adjusting the speeds to a comfortable speed, depending on the type of material you are cutting.
The 45 degree tilt table is also an amazing feature. With this, you will be able to make cuts at different angles. You will also be able to tilt the table to make horizontal angle cuts as it comes with a tilt scale and a table lock knob.
The process of changing the blades on this tool is quite easy as there adapters that are included. The hold-down shoe is adjustable and will prevent the stock from rising with the moving blade. This is a convenient scroll saw that makes the whole process of making cuts easier.
3. WEN Scroll Saw 3921 16 Inch Two Direction Variable Speed
WEN 3920 16 is one of the ideal tools that you can have in your workshop for scrolling purposes. This is a scroll saw that comes with variable speeds and as such, you will be able to make intricate cuts on your workpieces.
This model will give you full control of the designs that you wish to make and you can bring out the best creativity in you. The blade clamp accepts both pinned and unpinned blade and you will also be able to change the direction of the cut that you are making. When using pinned blades, you can turn the blade to 90 degrees, by popping the pin.
WEN 3921 Scroll Saw Core Features
- This model has variable speeds from 550 to 1600 SPM and there is a knob to adjust the speed.
- The work table is spacious and is made of cast iron, which limits vibration and is built to last.
- There is a flexible worm work light, which you can adjust to illuminate the exact place that you would want to make your shapes and cuts.
- The onboard storage is a convenient feature as you will be able to store your blades and other accessories.
- There is an air pump that will blow away the dust and this is also supported by the 1.5 dust port for easier extraction of the dust.
The pinless blade holder is designed in such a way that it will hold the blade tightly and prevent from being lost when you using the blade. The variable speed ranges from 550 to 1600 strokes per minute and there is a speed knob that is on the front part of the machine, to help control the speeds.
There is a spacious table which will bevel up to 45 degrees to the left. With the WEN 3920 16, you will be able to cut wood that is up to 1.9 inches thick and the stroke of the saw’s arm is 9/16 inch. The tension release switch will allow you to make quick blade changes and this reduces the downtimes.
There is an air pump that is responsible for clearing the dust and debris on the cut line. This will give you a clear sight of the cuts that you are making. The air pump is supported by a dust port to ensure that the work station is free of dust at all times.
You will also be able to make cuts that are up to 16 inches deep with the scroll saw. The base is made of cast iron, which is strong and durable and also goes a long way to prevent vibration when operating the saw.
4. Dremel Scroll Saw MS20-01 Moto-Saw Variable Speed Compact Kit
If you are looking for a scroll saw that is compact and is easy to use, then the Dremel Moto-Saw is the best scroll saw for such a task. This is useful in making detailed cuts and the advantage is the fact that you can use it on different materials, like wood, laminate, metal, and plastic.
The portable scroll saw will give you sawing action that is precise. You will not have any difficulty in the storage or the setting up of this model. You can use it as a stationary saw when attached to the base, but you can also remove it with ease.
Dremel Compact Scroll Saw Features
- The Dremel Moto-Saw comes with an auto tensioning blade change mechanism. This will facilitate speedy blade changes and will ensure that the blade is tensioned optimally.
- The detachable coping function is also unique to the scroll saw as it will allow you to detach it from the base and use it as a handheld tool.
- The dust port adapter is quite convenient as it will ensure that the workspace is clean and the cut line is visible at all times.
- The Dremel Moto-Saw comes with a variable speed motor and a control, which makes it easier to cut different materials.
- The fast clamp is an ideal system that allows you to attach the saw to the various benches, tables and surfaces.
The tool-free blade change mechanism will allow you to make blade changes fast and easily. This is has been rated as the most reliable tool for professional woodworkers, who are on a budget. In essence, this is said to be a great combination of cost efficiency, performance, and quality.
This is also the right model for beginners as it will come with all the features that you will need to achieve total accuracy. The dust port, for instance, will allow you to connect to the dust collection system. As such, the cut line will always be clear.
The fast clamp base will attach to various surfaces, benches, and tables. As such, you can easily move around with the Dremel Moto-Saw as it will work on various surfaces. The auto tensioning does not only help in the quick blade changes but will also ensure that the blade is taut and ready to make cuts. The detachable coping system allows you to detach the saw from the base with ease and convert it into a mobile coping saw.
5. ShopSeries RK7315 16″ Scroll Saw with Variable Speed Control
ShopSeries RK7315 comes up as another affordable scroll saw that is easy to use. This model comes with straightforward features that will make it possible even for a beginner to enjoy the scrolling functionality. This is a high-caliber tool that will allow you to make detailed cuts and intricate shapes.
The base of this scroll saw is made of aluminum, which is quite stable and gives the table a great look. The 1.2 amp motor powers the scroll saw in such a manner that you will be able to cut different types of material and you can also take advantage of the variable speeds.
Shop series scroll saw Core Features
- The ShopSeries RK7315 is the best scroll saw as it has the perfect combination of power and lightweight. It comes with a 1.2 amp motor.
- The die-cast aluminum work table for this saw can bevel from 0 to 45 degrees.
- This model has 2 durable, 5 inch tungsten carbide blades that will be able to cut up to 2 inches at 90 degrees.
- There are a dust port and dust blower, which offer an efficient dust management system and as such, your cut line will be visible ensuring accurate cuts.
- The ShopSeries RK7315 has a variable speed control supported by a 4/5 inch stroke, which is a guarantee for clean and smooth cuts.
The variable speeds are amazing, but with the control switch, you will be able to make cuts at a comfortable speed. With this type of control, you will be able to make intricate cuts, curves as well as joints. The 4/5 inch stroke will ensure that you are making accurate cuts. The table has the capacity to bevel from 0 to 45 degrees and this is another feature that ensures you are getting maximum accuracy. You will also love the fact that the saw comes with 2 blades, which are made of tungsten carbide, and are 5 inches. The throat depth of 16 inches will give you a cutting capacity of up to 2 inches, at 90 degrees.
With the onboard storage, you will be able to store up your blades such that they will not get damaged or lost. The ShopSeries RK7315 also comes with an internal blower that blows off the dust and ensures that you are able to view the work piece and the exact cut line.
The dust collection port comes in handy in the extraction of the dust, leaving the work area clean. There is a blade guard that is a safety feature and will ensure that you are well protected from coming into contact with the blade.
Things to Consider Buying a Scroll Saw
There are so many similarities in the features of most scroll saws, which is the main confusing factor for most buyers. There are things that you will need to pay attention to, as crucial details to help you in making the right buying decision. Here are some of the factors that I picked, which you should bear in mind when buying a scroll saw:
There are a number of machines with a single speed. However, to be able to make the most of your scroll saw, you need to find one with variable speeds. When the motor has variable speeds, you will be able to control the speed that you will work with, so that you can cut on different materials at a comfortable speed. The ideal one is any that offers speed that ranges from 400 to 1600 strokes per minute. Go for a motor that is rated 1.2 to 1.3 amps.
When considering the capacity of the scroll saw, you should focus on the thickness of the cut and the depth of the throat.
Throat depth refers to the distance from the frame of the saw to the blade. In most cases, this will be at 14 inches to 16 inches. However, you may find professional models that have a throat depth of up to 30 inches. As for the thickness of the cut, you will need to have a model that has the capacity that can handle about 2 inches.
Type of Blades
Consider the type of blade that the scroll saw will accept. There are different types of blades that you can choose, depending on the needs that you have. Pinned blades are pretty thick and are ideal for the thicker cuts that you wish to make. The unpinned blades, on the other hand, give you more options as they are quite versatile. These are referred to as pinless blades, as well, and will be ideal for the detailed cut.
The models of blade clamping will determine how fast you can change the blade. For beginners, pinned blades are recommended as they locate positively. For experts and advanced users, they may use the unpinned blades, which can be changed pretty fast.
When using the scroll saw, you will need to change the blades often and as such, you should find one that has a mechanism that allows quick blade changes.
The scroll saw work table is the other essential consideration to make. You will want that gives you adequate work surface. You will want space where you can spin the stock freely. You should ensure that the work surface is smooth and will not create any form of resistance on the workpiece. Check the construction of the table to ensure that it is strong and durable. If you can find cast iron or aluminum tables for the scroll, they will be ideal.
10 Safety Tips When Using a Scroll Saw
When operating the best scroll saw, safety is paramount so as to avoid injuries and other accidents. Here are a few safety tips that will keep you safe when using the scroll saw:
- Be sure to read the owners’ manual before attempting to make any cuts as this will help you understand all the parts and features of your tool.
- Always wear safety glasses and other protective gear when using the saw. This should protect you from the debris and other things that may get into your eyes.
- Ensure that the blades that you are using are sharp so that you will not be forced to use too much force when making your cuts.
- Before starting the saw, check the table or the base to ensure that is stable and standing on an even surface, to prevent accidental tripping.
- The workspace should be well lit so as to ensure that the cut lines are visible. This is a safety measure but also ensures that the quality of the cuts is precise.
- For those who are looking for professional cuts, you can get magnifying glass attached to the saw.
- As a maintenance routine, spray your blades with a thin coat of oil so as to prevent cases of corrosion.
- Take time to inspect the workpiece for any foreign objects that may damage the blade and even cause kickbacks.
- Keep your hands and fingers at a safe distance from the blade. You can use the relevant push accessories like a pencil eraser when making cuts too close to the wood.
- When you want to achieve accurate cuts, ensure that you are working with dry wood and not wet pieces, as the wet ones could wear down your saw blade.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will the scroll saw come with a stand?
A: There are some models that come with a stand as a supporting base, while others do not. It is important to go for a model that can attach to various work surfaces, for your convenience.
Q: Why is blade tension essential in the scroll saws?
A: Blade tension is ideal as it will keep the blade taut and ensure that it not too tight or too loose. When the blade is very tight, it will break easily and when it is loose, it will deflect as you make the cuts and also breaks.
Q: Will I be able to cut sheet metal with the scroll saw that I buy?
A: The main advantage of using the scroll saw is that you can make cuts on different materials, including metal. All you need to do is have the right blade.
Q: With the saw work with round blades?
A: Yes, it will be able to work with circular blades that allow you to cut in any direction. However, this blades are more complex than the standard ones.
Q: Is this the best tool for marquetry?
A: The scroll saw allows you to cut out shapes and pieces and as such, you can use it for intricate designs. You will just need the right blade for that purpose.
Using a scroll can transform the quality of your woodwork to become incredible. This is the right tool for those who are into curving and want to make quality cuts and shapes. There are so many models on the market and most of them appear to be similar. However, the difference is in the details of the features and functionality of the scroll saws.
I have taken the time to research and test a number of models, and that is how I settled on the top 5 models. From my list of scroll saws, I vouch for DEWALT DW788 as the best scroll saw. This is a model that will not disappoint you in any way, for all scrolling tasks. With this valuable information, you can help your family and friends make the right purchasing decision, please share it around.
Leave a Reply