Do you occasionally have some scrolling tasks? To be able to achieve the desired results, you will not only need a scroll saw, but also a blade. However, one may wonder which the best scroll saw blades are. There are so many different types of blades and each one of them has the specific task that you can use them for. This means that the blades will differ in terms of the quality as well as the overall purpose. This becomes the tricky part for most people as they may not know how to choose the right one.
If you are looking for a scroll saw blade that will suit your needs, then you have landed on the right place. I will help you sort through the different models that are on the market so as to narrow down your search. Through this guide, you will also be able to learn about the different types of blades and what you will need to look out for so as to find a saw blade that will be ideal for your needs. Keep reading on, and by end of this guide, you will be sure to find a perfect scroll saw blade.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Scroll Saw Blades On The Market In 2018
- 1.1 Six Dozen Ultra Reverse Tooth Flying Dutchman Scroll Saw Blades! One Dozen of 5 Different Sizes + an extra Dozen #5 (FD-UR) Variety Intro Pack) Model: UR-Intro
- 1.2 5 Dozen Spiral Flying Dutchman Scroll Saw Blades 5 Different Sizes Variety Intro Pack 2/0,1,3,5,7 Model: SP-Intro
- 1.3 6 Dozen Pegas Modified Geometry Pinless Scroll Saw Blades Variety Intro Pack
- 1.4 SKIL 80181 Scroll Saw Blade Set, 18 Piece
- 1.5 Olson Saw PG49802 Precision Ground Scroll Saw Blade
Different Types of Blades
When in search of the best scroll saw blades are quite useful and understanding the different types is quite important. Generally, there are two types of blades and it is important to tell the difference so as to find the one that will be compatible with your needs. There are two main types of scroll saw blades:
- Plain end blades
- Pin-end blades
The plain end blades are quite common, as they are safer to use. These are usually attached to the scroll saw using small clamps. There is a clamp beneath the work table and another one at the top end of the table. With this configuration, the blade is threaded through a cut in the table and the saw will power the blade to move up and down. These are considered to be standard for most scroll saws.
As for the pin end blades, they will be fixed to the saw using tiny cross pins that are on each end. These pins are usually inside a holder that appears like a hook inside the saw. This is a modern type of blade and is highly recommend for advanced users as it allows for faster blade changes.
Since the plain end blades are the most common and recommended for standard scrolling tasks, let’s look at the various types that you can use:
- Standard Tooth Blades
These come with the teeth that are the same size and have a standard gap between the teeth. There are those that are meant for wood and the others for metal. The metal blades have smaller teeth and less gaps between the teeth. The wood blades, on the other hand, come with larger teeth and more spaces.
- Skip-tooth Blades
The skip tooth blades are similar to the standard blades, with the key difference being a missing tooth, alternately. The space between the teeth is much wider and as such, the blade remains cool at all times. These are recommended for novices in scrolling.
- Double-tooth Blades
This is a type of a skip-tooth blade and comes with very large gaps between a set of two teeth. While the cutting with this blades is somewhat slower, they are known to produce smooth cuts.
- Reverse Skip-tooth Blades
The only difference with the regular skip tooth blade is that there a few teeth that face upwards. This is meant to prevent splintering or tear out at the bottom of the cut. This is ideal for use with plywood.
- Precision-ground Blades
If you want a skip tooth blade that has small teeth that are well ground, this is the type of scroll blade to go for. These blades are sharp and will be able to cut a straight line and leave you with a smooth surface. This are accurate and aggressive and may not be ideal for beginners.
- Spiral Blades
Spiral blades are also used for scrolling tasks and this is several blades that are twisted together. As such, there will be teeth all around the blade and you can use it to cut in all directions. These are not to be used for special scrolling tasks as they leave a rough surface.
- Crown-tooth Blades
These are the latest type of scroll blades and have their teeth shaped like a crown. There is a gullet between each crown and the biggest advantage is that you use either way. If you want to cut plastic or Plexiglas, this would be the ideal blade to buy.
Best Scroll Saw Blades On The Market In 2018
In all honesty, with all manner of blades for scroll saws that are on the market, you may be confused and lost in your decision. All blades seem to be the same and making a final choice can be taxing. I have done some research and tested a number of blades, and was able to pick the best scroll saw blades, currently on the market. This will be a starting point for you if you do not know which one works for you. Here are the top choices of saw blades that you may want to consider:
Six Dozen Ultra Reverse Tooth Flying Dutchman Scroll Saw Blades! One Dozen of 5 Different Sizes + an extra Dozen #5 (FD-UR) Variety Intro Pack) Model: UR-Intro
This particular set of the blade comes as a dozen of 5 different types of blades. They are known to be quite durable and once you have made cuts with the blades, you can be sure that you will need minimal sanding. This is because the blades are known to deliver smooth cuts. The blades are made in Germany and from high quality steel, which is what makes them sturdy and long-lasting. You are assured of precise cuts for all your scrolling tasks.
These blades reduce straighter and come with a reverse tool design. This is what will guarantee smooth and clean cuts, requiring very little sanding. In most cases, the scroll saw blades cut with a downward stroke which causes tearing, but this set of blades has eliminated this. This set of blades is pinless and all of them are 5 inches long and are hardened to deliver cuts that are free of splinters.
If you are looking for blades that you can use to have a smooth finish, the Flying Dutchman will be the ideal one. For every stroke, the blade is known to deliver a neat upstroke finish. This is also an economic pack as you will have a total of 72 blades that are of different sizes. The ultra-blades of have tooth down and one design for accurate and smooth cuts.
- All the blades on this pack are 5 inches, in length and are the pinless type of blades.
- There are ultra-blades that are included as part of the blades and these come with two teeth down and one that is up.
- The blades come as 6 dozen that have 5 different sizes; #1,#3, #7, #9 and an extra #5 blades.
- This is a high-speed fretsaw, with every 3rd tooth reversed and this reduces the tear out or splintering rate.
- The Flying Dutchman is known to cut straighter than most of the other blades and delivers a smooth finish.
5 Dozen Spiral Flying Dutchman Scroll Saw Blades 5 Different Sizes Variety Intro Pack 2/0,1,3,5,7 Model: SP-Intro
Scrolling tasks are quite intricate and you will need to have the right blade. The Spiral Flying Dutchman is the one of the best scroll saw blades that you can have. These set of blades comes as a pack of 5 dozens that are in 5 different sizes, namely, 2/0, 1, 3, 5, and 7. As such, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the versatility of the scroll saw that you have as you can be able to cut any direction that you please.
The fact that the blades have teeth that all around the blade is one of the factors that set it apart from the others. This model comes with a cylindrical shredder that will support the functionality to be able to cut in any direction. This is known to be a set of high quality blade that will give you the capacity to make intricate shapes. All the blades that you will get are 5 inches long and are all pinless blades.
Fortunately, there is an intro pack that will come with the blades and you can use this to establish the specific blades that will work for you. This comes with a dozen of each of the 6 different numbers of scroll saw blades. The moment you realize the right blades, it becomes easier to accomplish your tasks.
- When you buy the Spiral Flying Dutchman, it comes as a pack that has 5 dozens of 6 different sizes.
- This is a versatile set as the blades come with teeth all round to enhance the functionality of being able to cut different directions.
- All the blades that come with this pack are pinless and are 5 inches long, giving you the standard length of a scroll saw blade.
- The cylindrical shredder is an ideal feature for the blades as it allows you to be able to make cuts in any direction.
- This is a high quality set of blades that have an intro pack, which will give the opportunity to choose one that works for you.
6 Dozen Pegas Modified Geometry Pinless Scroll Saw Blades Variety Intro Pack
The Pegas Modified Geometry is an amazing intro pack that lets you test a number of blades for the scroll saw. This is sold as a pack of 6 dozens of scroll saw blades that are availed in different sizes. You will be able to get one dozen of each size, which includes, 2/0, 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9. This will give you versatile functionality and you will be able to accomplish a number of scrolling tasks, with the blades.
All the blades that are sold in this pack are 5 inches long and as such, you can be able to handle a good number of scrolling tasks. In addition, the blades are pinless, which makes it easier to change the blades. This is considered to be the best type of scroll blades on the market and can help with specialty cuts as it comes with the modified geometry teeth design. This should serve the needs of hobbyists as well as professionals.
When you have tough applications that require aggressive feeds, this would be the best set of scroll saw blades to pick it. This is because it comes with the ability to tolerate such feed rates and the blades will remain cool, without overheating. The tooth design of the blades is innovative and this is known to provide excellent efficiency. There will be no splinters or tear outs when you make the cuts using this blade.
- The main advantage with this scroll saw blades is the fact that it will deliver a smooth and clean finish that has no splinters.
- This comes as 6 dozens of blades that are 6 different sizes, namely 2/0, 1,3,5,7 and 9, this is what makes it versatile.
- The modified geometry teeth are unique and rated as the best on the blades that are used for scrolling tasks.
- This model is designed in such a way that will not overheat as it can withstand aggressive feed rate of your workpieces.
- The Pegas blades have a specific tooth design and as such, you will be able to get extreme efficiency.
SKIL 80181 Scroll Saw Blade Set, 18 Piece
The SKIL 80181 is a scroll saw blade set that comes with 18 pieces. This set is specially designed for the professional craftsmen. It has all the features that you would need to be able to come up with amazing cuts, which have an excellent finish. The beauty of having these blades is the fact that they are really sharp and they will be able to work for a long time, without fail, as they are built to last.
The precision of the SKIL 80181 blades is remarkable and this is what will make it easier to be able to get an easy cutting line. If you are a professional who needs to make intricate shapes, then this would be the best scroll saw blades. They are availed in different TPIs and widths and as such, you can be sure that you will use it for versatile tasks and not be disappointed. The blades are easy to use and will not frustrate you.
The SKIL 80181 blades are meant to cut a number of applications like wood, non-ferrous metals as well as plastics. The best decision that you can make when shopping for scroll saw blades is being able to pick this specific one. On this set, you will get both pinned and pinless blades, which is meant to accommodate the needs of everyone, who needs a scrolling blade. You will be able to make any scroll task with the set of blades and the precision is never compromised.
- This is a pack that comes with 18 pieces of blades, which are both pinless and pinned style blades.
- The SKIL 80181 offers blades with different TPI, including 6 blades of 15 TPI, 6 of 18.5 TPI and 6 more blades with 20 TPI.
- This is the set that is precision sharpened and as such, you will be able to make intricate shapes and cuts.
- All the blades are made of high quality steel and as such, they will last for a very long period of time.
- The SKIL 80181 comes with blades that will be used for cutting wood, plastics as well as non-ferrous metals.
Olson Saw PG49802 Precision Ground Scroll Saw Blade
When you go out into the market, you will realize that there are so many different types of scroll blades. However, there are those that seem to be far much better than others and a good example is the Olson Saw PG49802. This is considered to be among the premium scroll blades, due to the unique and amazing features that it carries. It is quick sharp and will never compromise on the precision that it delivers. This will be useful for cutting out different shapes, without a compromise on the quality.
The quick cutting teeth on the Olson Saw PG49802 will make you scrolling work so much easier. With this blade, you can be able to create delicate shapes as it will handle rounded edges as well as pointed corners. The double tooth design is what makes it work even on hardwoods, conveniently. This comes as 1 6 pack or a 12 pack or even an assortment of blades. This is also a blade that is known to be durable and will last up to 4 times than the ordinary scroll blade.
Besides having the double tooth performance, this scroll saw blade also comes with reverse teeth, which is an amazing design to ensure that the cuts are clean and smooth. Their sharp edges on top and bottom of the surfaces will leave you with cuts that do not require any sanding. The Olson Saw PG49802 is one of the best models and you will find that it comes highly recommended by most scrolling experts.
- The Olson Saw PG49802 comes with the sharpest and fastest cutting teeth among the scroll blades that you will find on the market.
- The teeth on the blade will be able to cut accurately for radius cuts as well as straight cuts.
- The most amazing feature on the Olson Saw PG49802 scroll saw blade is the double tooth design, which allows the blade to cut through hardwoods.
- The blades are made using the finest carbon steel, which gives you maximum strength and the longest scroll blade life.
- The unique tooth geometry includes the reverse design and gullets that are well spaced and this will minimize burning and delivers smooth and neat cuts.
How To Choose The Best Scroll Saw Blades?
The success of your scrolling tasks will highly depend on the type of blade that you have. To be able to find the best scroll saw blades, there are a number of things that you need to pay attention to. As part of the guide, I have picked some of the essential considerations which will lead you to find the most suitable blade for your needs. Here are the things to consider:
Before choosing the blade for the scroll saw, you need to ensure that it is compatible with the saw. Find out if your saw accepts plain end or pin end saws. In most case, when you have a modern scroll saw, it will use the plain end saws. However, as we have already established, the type of teeth that a saw has is also critical. The plain end saw have more capacity and are ideal for anyone who wishes to make intricate cuts.
When buying the scroll saw blade, you need to also consider the type of material that it is made of. This will determine the functionality as well as the durability of your blade. All typed blades are made of steel blanks, but the finishing is what matters. Some will have tampered and others will be hardened. There are special types of blades that will quite tough and these are made to cut plastics and metals.
The other key consideration when it comes to the choice of as saw blade is the size. This will be influenced by the type of material that you intend to cut. There are so many different blade sizes, with the highest being #12. One thing that you should note is that when a blade has a higher number it means that the TPI is lower and it is usually bigger. The higher blades are wider and thicker. If you are looking for precision and smoothness of cuts, you will need to go for a blade with a higher TPI.
Type of Patterns
In buying a scroll saw blade, you need to also consider the intricacy of the patterns so that you can get the right one. When you have very complicated and intricate patterns, you may want to work with the blades with small teeth. Logically, bigger blades lack the capacity to get navigate tight spaces and corners. You will need a blade that allows you to cut the tightest corner of a pattern, without much difficulty.
Design of the Teeth
The design of the teeth is also another aspect that will have an impact on the performance of the blade. We looked at the different types of blades, earlier and this will give the correct information on the specific types of blades and what you can expect from each type.
10 Safety Tips When Using a Saw Blade
The scroll saw is one of the most powerful tools that you can have in your workshop. The most integral part of the saw is the blade. When you get the best scroll saw blades, you need to be cautious and ensure that your safety is not compromised. Here are some safety tips that I believe will be of great help to you when working with a saw blade:
- When you want to use the saw blade, you need to ensure that you have a dust mask and safety goggles so as to protect your face and eyes from the dusty operation and the debris.
- Avoid long sleeved clothes, as well as clothes, are loose and buggy. Do not wear jewelry that is dangling as these could be caught by the blade.
- Before making any cuts, you need to check the blade and ensure that it is sharp and not blunt. Blunt blades can cause serious injuries as you will have to use too much force.
- When you have to cut stock that comes too close to the blade, you need to use push sticks and push blocks so as to keep your hands and fingers safe.
- You should stand in a way that your body is not in line with the blade. This is a safety measure to ensure that you will not get hurt by flying debris.
- When making cuts, you need to pay full attention and not attempt to multitask as this could end up being fatal.
- Never overreach a spinning blade, for whatever reason, as this could injure you as blades are quite sharp and spin at high speeds.
- If you intend to make any adjustments on your scroll saw or blade, you need to allow the blade to come to a complete stop.
- When changing the blades, you need to turn off the saw and disconnect it from the power. This also applies to any other form of maintenance tasks that you may wish to carry out.
- Inspect the workpiece before making cuts and remove any foreign objects that may end up causing kickbacks or damages to the blade.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Do all the plain end blades for scroll saw measure 5 inches in length?
A: In most cases, you will realize that the plain end scroll saw blades are 5 inches long. However, this does not mean that you cannot find others that have different measurements.
Q: What is the meaning of a pinless scroll saw blade?
A: Pinless blades are smooth on both ends and have thumb screws to hold them on the saw. They usually fit into an adapter that will hold the pent that will stick out of the blade ends. Most scrolling experts prefer pinless blades.
Q: Can I use the pinless blades instead of the plain end blades, for scrolling?
A: This will depend on the specific model of scroll saw that you have. There are models that will accept plain end and others pin end blades. However, there are those that can accept both types of blades.
Q: How do scroll saw blades work with Plexiglas?
A: Scroll saw blades are quite sharp as they come with polished edges. As such, they will be able to cut through Plexiglas with ease and after a while, it cools and then continues to work. However, you should ensure that you have the right blades.
Q: What is the best TPI of blades to be used for cutting acrylic and plastic?
A: The 20 TPI blades would be the most ideal as they are designed to be able to cut different materials. These blades are precision sharpened to deliver easy cutting.
There you have it! There is so many scroll saw blades that are on the market. As you have seen, each blade may have its unique functionality and this is why you will need proper guidance. You need to define your tasks so that you can find the exact blade that will help you accomplish this.
I have narrowed down the search to the top 5 blades and from the ones I have reviewed, they each have unique features and strengths. However, I highly recommend the Six Dozen Ultra Reverse Tooth Flying Dutchman Scroll Saw Blades. These are the best scroll saw blades as they come in different sizes and are quite versatile. Please feel free to share the information on this guide with your friends and loved ones.