One of the most essential finishing procedures in woodworking projects is sanding. In the past, one would just use a sandpaper and get the work done. However, times have changed and now you would need to have the best random orbital sander for such tasks. In your choice of this tool, there a number of factors that you will need to put into consideration so that you can pick the right model. For an ordinary person, this is may be quite difficult and this is why I am happy to present this guide to you.
There so many brands that are on the market and for you to get the right random orbital sander, you need to go for the one that is suited for your specific needs. There are other essential factors like the frequency of use, intensity, scope and scale of projects and so much more. If this is your first time to shop for a sander, you have no cause to worry as I will walk you through all that you need to know. Please read to the end and you will find quite some valuable insight here.
What Is A Random Orbital Sander Used For?
The best random orbital sander is a small handheld tool that is quite powerful. The main use of this tolls is sanding and this is delivered through a random-orbit action. You can also make use of this tool when you need to remove stock as well as get ultra-smooth sanding. This is made possible by the design of the tool and the angle of rotation of the head. This is a compact tool and can be convenient for those who have to move from one site to another and need an effective sander.
There is a pad that spins and vibrates in a simultaneous manner and as a result, this tool will be able to remove all the swirl that ordinary sanders tend to leave behind. The good news is that this is one of the tools that is not affected by the direction of the wood grain. As such, if you want to fasten two pieces of wood at right angles, this would the perfect sanding option. This is a useful tool and my objective is to help you find the right one to serve your needs effectively.
5 Best Random Orbital Sander On The Market In 2020
I have come across a number of random orbital sanders and as you can imagine each claims to be the best. This can be quite confusing, in addition to the fact that there still more models that are being introduced into the market by the day. I have made the work easier for you by testing a couple of brands and models. I have narrowed them down to the top 5 and I hope that these reviews will help you land on the best rated random orbital sander. Remember that there are other factors that need to be put into consideration in your shopping, and we will look at those as well.
Here are my selections of the top rated random orbital sanders on the market:
1. DEWALT Random Orbit Sander – DWE6423K Variable Speed, 5″
The DEWALT DWE6324K 5″ Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander is one of my top choices as it comes with amazing features that enhance its efficiency. This is a 5 inch sander and has a powerful motor with 3.0 amps. The motor is able to deliver up to 12,000 OPM spins on the pad. This is a unique model and is quite compact and has a shorter height. This makes it possible for you to get close to the stock for a more controlled sanding process. As a result, you will be able to use it safely and accurately.
This is also known to be the best 5 inch random orbital sander on the market due to the enhanced comfort that it offers to users. It comes with a rubber over-mold on all the essential areas and as such, it will significantly reduce fatigue even when you have to work for extended periods. The counterweight design also reduces the vibration when in use and this enhances your comfort as well. The dust collection system is quite improved and will interface with a vacuum locking system. The dust bag requires just one hand to lock into the dust port.
This model has a hook and loop pad, which is effective and gives you a smooth sanding action. Besides being used on woodworking projects, the tool can also work on metal and plastics. When you purchase the tool, you will also get a carrying case. The switch is dust sealed and this ensures that it is not contaminated by dust, which leads to a prolonged life of the machine. You can also choose to attach a standard vacuum hose with the DWV9000 universal quick connector.
- This sander is quite powerful as it comes with a 3 amp motor that is able to spin the pad at speeds of 8,000 to 12,000 OPM.
- The dust control system is improved and made easier for your convenience. You will easily attach the dust bag, with the one-hand locking system.
- This tool has a shorter height, which is a big advantage as it will reduce the distance between you and the stock to be sanded.
- The overall design is quite innovative and is made in such a manner that it reduces vibration and the rubber molding in essential areas reduces fatigue.
- The switch of the random orbital sander is dust sealed, which protects it from dust contamination and extends the life of the switch.
2. Bosch Random Orbital Sander- 6.5 Amp Corded 6 in. Variable Speed Dual-Mode Electronic/Polisher 1250DEVS
This Bosch sander is one of a kind and quite versatile. You will love the fact that it comes with 2 exclusive sanding modes. There is the usual random orbit sanding, which is for the normal stock removal and finishing. The other mode is extremely aggressive and driven by the turbo, which would be ideal for heavy duty sanding. All this is made possible by the 6.5 amp motor that powers the sander. There is a lever which allows you to switch between the two modes, depending on the task that is at hand.
This is certainly, the best 6 inch random orbital sander as it offers variable speeds. You will easily set the speed that you need using the speed dial. To enhance the performance, there is a constant response circuitry which will ensure that the set speed is maintained, under the load. This sander comes with a microcellular hook and looks sanding pad and this is what ensures that you are able to get flattered and finer finishes on the surface. This becomes the ideal sander when you are working on contoured surfaces.
When you talk about the user comfort, this has also been factored in through the PowerGrip, contoured head. It also has a compact barrel that is 7.7 inches, in terms of the circumference and there is an auxiliary handle included. The passive dust collection unit will maximize the functionality of the tool when combined with a vacuum based dust collector. The efficiency of this sander is unquestionable as it is said to have the ability to remove 96% of the material from the dust system.
- There is an internal pad dampening system that will provide braking of the pad spin. This is to prevent any swirl marks when you need to remove the tool from the stock.
- This is a tool that is built to last as it is made of die-cast aluminum gear housing and has a dual bearing pad mount, which enhances durability.
- The sander, which also works as a polisher has a powerful 6.5 amp motor which will provide adequate power.
- The dual mode is one of the outstanding features on this model and you can easily flip to the mode that you choose- the normal and the eccentric mode, which is turbo driven.
- The control is excellent as it has a soft start and a variable speed, which you will set according to your preference.
3. Makita Random Orbit Sander – XOB01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 5″
If you are a mobile worker and have to move from one site to another, then this is the best random orbital sander as it is cordless and quite powerful. The Makita XOB01Z is one of a kind and is powered by a Lithium-Ion battery. This is a 5 inch sander that is known to provide exceptional functionality for mobile workers. This comes with 3 speed settings allowing you to define the specific speed that works for you. When the battery is fully charged, it gives you a runtime of up to 40 minutes.
With the 3 speed settings, you can easily match to the application that you are handling. The speeds are 7,000, 9,500 and 11,000 OPM. You can switch the speeds easily, with a one-touch electronic control switch. The superior ergonomics of this sander cannot go without being noticed. This 5 inch sander has a pad brake, which is convenient as it will reduce the speed of the pad when you are done with the sanding. This gives you a controlled finish and also there is a control system that will regulate the startup speed.
The Makita sander uses a 5 inch 8-hole hook and loop abrasive paper and this will increase the versatility. The 1/8 inch random orbit action is designed in such a way that it will deliver fast material removal, efficient sanding and a smooth finish without a swirl. You can easily change the abrasive paper. There is an oversized sealed ball bearing construction that is designed to enhance the longevity of the model. The ball bearing is also dust sealed and this also extends the life of the tool.
- This is a cordless model that uses a lithium-ion battery and when it is fully charged, it can run for up to 40 minutes.
- There is a pad control system that will control the speed of the pad and give you a soft start. There is also a pad braking system that ensures a smooth finish.
- The random orbital sander has 3 speed settings and as such, you can easily match the speed to the task at hand and you can change the settings with a one touch speed control.
- The body of this machine is ergonomically designed and has a secure grip, which increases your comfort when you are working.
- There dust control system is through the pad and as such, it is quite efficient in ensuring that you have a clean work environment.
4. BLACK DECKER Random Orbit Sander – BDERO100, 5-Inch
The Black and Decker BDERO100 is a 5 inch random orbit sander that is quite affordable. The fact that it is affordable does not mean that it compromises on the quality of work that it delivers. This will be an excellent model for those who are starting out on the sanders or anyone that is working on a budget. You will be impressed with the fast and efficient action that it delivers. This is a powerful tool that will have an exceptional performance and does not disappoint, both experts and beginners.
The reason why I consider this to be the best 5 random orbital sander is the fact that is has a way of working efficiently. For instance, the compact size is a huge advantage in that it will bring you closer to the work surface and as such, you can easily maneuver around your projects. This is the right tool to buy if you are looking for a high stock removal rate and a top notch finish on your projects. It is a hook and loop system and as such, making paper changes is fast and easy.
When it comes to durability, the solid construction tells it all, as it is a machine that is built to last. It has a dust sealed switch which will keep all the debris and dust out, which works out well to extend the lifespan of the tool. Everything that you would need in a sander has been included on this particular model. It is compact, versatile, ergonomic and more importantly quite affordable for anyone that wants an efficient tool. The sander is powerful, yet is one of the models with low noise levels.
- This sander from Black + Decker comes with an effective random orbital action and this is useful as it delivers a high removal rate and an incredible quality finish in your projects.
- It has a hook and loop system which makes the process of changing the sandpapers faster and easier.
- There is a dust sealed switch, which will keep the debris and the dust out and this works to prolong the life of the tool.
- With a lightweight of only 3.2 lbs. and an ergonomic design, you will be able to work with it for extended hours, without too much fatigue.
- It is a silent tool and has a decent performance as it leaves a smooth and polished surface, without any swirl or marks.
5. SKIL Random Orbit Sander – 7492-02 2.8 Amp 5-Inch With Pressure Control
If you are professional woodworker on a budget or a DIY enthusiast who wants an effective sander, then you should consider the SKIL 7492-02. This is an affordable model but has all the basic functions that you would want in a random orbital sander. The tool comes with a 5 inch disc and the motor is 2.8 amps, which gives it an adequate power to perform basic sanding tasks. Seeing that this is a basic model, it comes with a single speed of 12,500 OPM, which is steady and enough to remove materials at a desirable rate.
For its price, I can confidently state that this the best budget random orbital sander. The dust control system is quite efficient and even better than in some pricier models. It has a dust canister that is attached and uses a micro-filtration process to capture all dust particles and contain them. As such, you can be sure that at all times your work surface is clean. In addition to this, the dust canister is clear, as such, you will easily check when it is full, to empty it.
There another feature that impressed me is the pad brake, which is quite essential to the quality of work that you will have. Ideally, this tool works at very high speeds and the braking is useful in that it will prevent any accidents swirls of gouging on the stock. While it is a basic sander, it comes with modern technology for pressure control. This means you will get a warning when you apply too much pressure on the tool. The dust sealed switch is meant to keep any dust and debris away and this extends the life of the tool.
- The random orbital sander from SKIL comes with a pressure control technology that will send an alert when there is too much pressure applied.
- The dust sealed switch is ideal as it keeps the dust and debris away, which helps to prolong the life of this machines.
- With the random orbital action, you will be in a position to remove stock and material much faster.
- There is a pad braking system that goes a long way to reduce any chances of gouging on the stock that you are working on.
- As for the dust control system, it is quite efficient in that it uses a micro-filtration mechanism to capture and contain even fine dust particles.
How Do You Pick the Right Random Orbital Sander?
Anyone who has ever tried to sand anything by hand understands the importance of having the best random orbit sander. This is an electric model and makes the process much easier. When you need to buy your own, you would need to be sure that you are getting the right one. I have given you a few factors that you should consider when shopping for a random orbit sander and I know this should help you pick one that serves your needs. Here are the key considerations:
You need to check the size of the disc for the tool that you choose to buy since they come at different rates. If your work involves dealing with very large surface areas, it is only logical to go for a model that has a large disc. However, if you are looking to work on small surfaces or detailed pieces of wood, you need to pick a sander with a smaller disc. The size of the disc will influence the end result that you will get.
When we talk about power, in reference to the random orbit sanders, this refers to the power that the motor generates. The power is measured in amperages, which is expressed as APM. With more power on the motor, you are able to execute different tasks and can even sand on very tough surfaces. You should pay keen attention to the power output of the motor and not necessarily the overall size of the tool. It is important to ensure that you are matching up the power to the type of tasks that you have at hand.
A basic sander may have a single speed, which is ideal for simple and basic sanding tasks. However, for professional results and versatility, it is advisable to go for a model that has several speed settings. With the variable speeds, you are able to control the rotation of the disc and get the desired outcomes. When working on detailed projects, you will need slower speeds, but if you are looking to remove stock faster, then you need higher speeds. This is only possible when you have the option to set the speeds.
As you can imagine, the process of sanding emits a whole lot of dust and debris. You need to protect yourself and have a clean working environment by picking a tool that has a proper working dust control mechanism. In most cases, you will find models that have a canister or a dust collection bag, which will work perfectly. There are some models that come with a dust control port, which can be connected to the standard vacuum hose for dust management.
It is also advisable to consider the price of the sander that you wish to buy. You should have a budget in mind and compare several models that are within the same price range. You need to pay attention to all the features, in each model, during the comparison. This will help you make a decision to pick the right tool, which will serve your needs perfectly and it will be within your budget range.
Now that you already have the best random orbital sander for woodworking, it is important to learn how to use it safely. This is a powerful tool and since it is hand-operated, it may cause serious injuries if not handled properly. Here are some safety tips that you should observe:
- Be sure to read and understand the owner’s manual and all instructions from the manufacturer.
- Wear protective gear like dust respirators, goggles and even earplugs when using this tool.
- Never connect the tool to power, when the switch is already on.
- For all adjustments and changing discs, disconnect the tool from power,
- Inspect your sander before starting your work to ensure everything is in place.
- Maintain a safe distance from the spinning pads.
- Use both hands so as to have a firm grip and full control.
- Do not overreach on the stock that you are working on
- Avoid applying too much pressure when using your sander
- Have a functional dust management system at all times.
- To enhance the performance of the tool, ensure that all the vents are clear and not covered.
- When working on smaller workpieces, you should clamp them to avoid any movement.
Frequently Asked Question
Q: Can I use this sander to refinish my floors at home, which are about 100 sq. feet?
A: Certainly, the random orbital sander works perfectly to sand wood floors and refinish them. However, you may need to have a larger disc to achieve the best results and work faster.
Q: Will my sander connect to a dust collection system or a vacuum?
A: In most cases, you will find the modern models coming with a dust bag or a canister, which will control the task. Additionally, you will also be able to connect to a dust collector, easily.
Q: I have glue stuck on my carpet, can be able to remove it with a random orbital sander?
A: Yes, this should be possible, without any problems. However, you need to be cautious and ensure that you are operating the sander at the right speed, otherwise, you will end up damaging the surface.
Q: Will this type of sander be ideal for car buffing?
A: No, this sander should not be used for buffing of vehicles. The only thing that you can use it for is to remove pain from your car when you need to repaint.
Q: Is it possible to sand corners and curves with this tool?
A: Being a handheld tool, you should not have any problems sanding corners and curves. The only task that may prove to be difficult is when you have to sand enclosed corners.
There you have it, this guide has all the information that you will need to be able to get a sander that has a random orbital action. This makes the whole process of sanding much easier and manageable. I have shared all that there is to know about these machines and even went ahead to give you some reviews of some of the top rated models.
Each of the tools that I have reviewed here, was after careful consideration and testing. As such, they are all unique and have special capabilities. I advocate for the DEWALT DWE6324K 5″ Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander as the best random orbital sander. This is an all-round tool and will give you exceptional functionality. I would love to hear from you if you have any queries or suggestions. Please also feel free to share this guide within your circles. Sharing is caring!