Last Updated on
The versatility of the best jigsaw is one of the traits that make it a preferred tool for a good number of professionals. This is a cutting tool that comes with so many amazing features and as such, it can be used for cutting various applications like metal, ceramic, plastic and wood, among others. If you are in the process of shopping for the right jigsaw and feel confused, then you have come to the right place. There are so many models that the market has to offer and this can be a serious challenge for most buyers.
In a bid to help you in making the right purchasing decision, I have reviewed the best models that you will find on the market. In this guide, I will also share some tips on how to use the jigsaw and other factors that can help you in the decision making process. I provide valuable information on everything that you would need to know about jigsaws. Please read this comprehensive guide to the end and you will be much more informed and be able to buy the right jigsaw.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Jigsaw Reviews to Buy in 2020
- 1.1 Best Corded Jigsaw Reviews
- 1.2 BLACK+DECKER JS670V LineFinder Orbital Jig Saw with SmartSelect Technology
- 1.3 Bosch JS260 120-Volt Top-Handle Jigsaw
- 1.4 PORTER-CABLE PCE345 6-Amp Orbital Jig Saw
- 1.5 Best Cordless Jigsaw Reviews:
- 1.6 Makita XVJ03Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Jig Saw (Tool Only, No Battery)
- 1.7 DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B 18-Volt Cordless Jig Saw with Keyless Blade Change
- 1.8 Bosch JS120BN 12-volt Max Cordless Jig Saw with Exact-Fit Insert Tray
Why Jigsaw and Its Benefits?
The jigsaw has so many uses and is quite effective when it comes to making cuts. There is also the advantage of being able to cut different materials with the jigsaw. It is designed to be portable and will be able to give you the convenience that you may need when making curved or straight cuts. This is an accurate tool and as long as you find the best jigsaw, you should be good to go.
Their benefits of owning a jigsaw are countless. The key thing is to ensure that you have the right model and you will be able to get a wide range of advantages. Here are the main benefits of a jigsaw:
- Jigsaws are kid-friendly, due to their high level of safety measures. The kids will not be injured unnecessarily when using this powerful tool. However, the kids should only use it under adult supervision.
- They are easy to use and comfortable to handle. You will get greater control, which improves the accuracy of the cuts that you make.
- Jigsaws are portable and you can choose the corded or cordless models, depending on the nature of work that you have.
- This saw will be useful for cutting different materials and applications, which is part of their versatile nature.
- While they have a compact design and small in size, they are quite powerful and will be able to cut through tough materials.
Best Jigsaw Reviews to Buy in 2020
If you were keen enough, you just noticed that the main consideration in picking the best jigsaw is whether you want a corded one or a cordless option. As such, to be able to make this guide meaningful, in my jigsaw reviews, I will split them into two sections; corded jigsaws and cordless jigsaws. I have picked the top models on the market.
Best Corded Jigsaw Reviews
The truth of the matter is that if you went to the store or even did an online research of the ideal corded jigsaw, you will get so many model. Having a wide range to choose from may be great, but can be stressful. Here are my corded jigsaw reviews for the top 3 models:
BLACK+DECKER JS670V LineFinder Orbital Jig Saw with SmartSelect Technology
Black & Decker JS670V is an exceptional corded jigsaw and comes with so many modern features that will make your work easier. The LineFinder is one such feature and this is included to be able to illuminate the cut line and as such, you will have great visibility. As long as the cut line is clear, you will make accurate cuts, irrespective of the angle. Essentially, this will eliminate any guesswork in your cuts. This is ideal for professionals who are keen on making high quality cuts. You can easily set the orbital action and the speed for the specific cuts being made.
There is an onboard storage on the Black & Decker JS670V jigsaw, which is quite convenient. With this feature, you will have a storage for the blades such that you can access them easily when you need to. In addition to this, the blade change system is tool less and such that you will make blade changes quickly and easily. The Accu-Bevel Angle Adjustment is another feature that has been included to enhance the accuracy of the cuts that you make. There is an indicator window that lets you see the adjustments that you are making.
One of the amazing features that caught my attention is the SmartSelect technology. This will set the optimal orbital setting on the Black & Decker JS670V jigsaw automatically. There is a dial on the side that will be used to activate this feature such that you will be able to define the speed setting and orbital action of the motor on this saw. This is what makes it possible to make cuts on different types of material. There are so many other features like the support for both T and U shank blades, cast metal shoe and the powerful motor that makes this to rank as the best jigsaw.
Black & decker line finder orbital jigsaw Core Features
- There is a SmartSelect technology on Black & Decker JS670V, which will set the orbital setting to the optimal, automatically.
- You will be able to access your blades and other accessories, easily, as there is an onboard storage on this saw.
- The LineFinder is an instrumental feature as it will illuminate the cut line, enhancing your vision so as to ensure accurate cuts.
- The Black & Decker JS670V jigsaw has a tool-free blade change system, which allows you to make blade changes fast and easily.
- With this jigsaw works with both the T shank and U shank blades to give you versatile cuts and allow you to cut on different applications.
Bosch JS260 120-Volt Top-Handle Jigsaw
Bosch JS260 Top-Handle Jig Saw is a solid model that has a sturdy footplate that will improve the accuracy of the cuts. This saw has a 6 amp motor, which supports variable speeds. The motor is able to deliver speeds of up to 3,100 strokes per minute and the stroke length is ¾ inches. This means that you can make fast and accurate cuts using this jigsaw as it takes off the high volume of material per stroke.
The variable speed dial will control the maximum speed of the jigsaw, while the operating speed is controlled by the accelerator trigger. This model has been engineered to have a very low vibration and this is a great advantage as it will reduce fatigue and give you a smooth and accurate performance. This saw comes with a multi directional blade clamp that will accommodate the T-shank blades. The blade change does not require any tools to insert or remove the blade from the tool.
The dust blower is another amazing feature which is always on. As such, it will clear the debris and ensure that the cut line is visible so that you will get accurate cuts. The ambidextrous lock on button is also included to make work easier for you when you need to use the saw for extended periods. This saves you the trouble of having to continuously hold the trigger when making the cuts. This is the best jigsaw in so many ways and would be a great investment to consider having in your toolset.
Bosch 120 Volt Jigsaw Core Features
- This Bosch JS260 Top-Handle Jig Saw has a heavy duty foot plate that is made of steel and also includes an onboard wrench for storage.
- The process of inserting and removing blades in much easier with the blade ejection lever. This is part of the tool-less blade system.
- The 4 orbital action settings will allow the users to get different blade strokes and as such, you can cut on a wide range of materials.
- There is a variable speed dial on the Bosch JS260 Top-Handle Jig Saw and this will allow you to control the cutting speed of the blade.
- There dust management system is always on and will keep the cutting line free of any debris and saw dust.
PORTER-CABLE PCE345 6-Amp Orbital Jig Saw
The PORTER-CABLE PCE345 is a unique jigsaw and has amazing capabilities. This ranks highly and you should really consider it if you are looking for the best jigsaw as it comes with all the features that you would need, whether you are a professional or a DIY enthusiast. The 6 amp motor is quite powerful and will allow you to cut tough applications effortlessly. The speed dial has 7 positions that you can choose, from 0 to 3200 rotations per minute. This is integrated into the trigger of the saw and as such, you can adjust the speed conveniently.
If you are looking for a product that will give you optimal and quality cuts, then you need to pick the PORTER-CABLE PCE345. The multiple speed settings and the 4 orbital settings will give you the best cutting performance for different materials. The lock-on button will give you exceptional control, which is comfortable for the extended use. This will reduce any fatigue that is attributable to having to hold down the trigger all through. The handle over mold will give you a comfortable grip and greater control. It also comes with an oversized front, which enhances the comfort of use.
The other thing that you will love with the PORTER-CABLE PCE345 is the fact that it has a tool-less blade system. This facilitates quick and easy blade changes and as such, there will be reduced downtimes. This is a powerful model that will be able to cut across 2×8 material in just 16 seconds. You will press the trigger to be able to adjust the speed of the saw when working. The LED light has been included on this saw and it will illuminate the cut line to give you good visibility, so as to enhance the accuracy of the cuts. This is an efficient model and you will be able to achieve so much when you have it.
Porter cable 6 amp orbital jig saw Core Features
- The PORTER-CABLE PCE345 comes with a 7 position speed dial that is connected to the trigger and as such, you will define the speed that you want the saw to run.
- There is a 6 amp motor that gives you great power to cut demanding applications as it runs up to 3,200 rotations per minute.
- The lock-on button is a feature that is designed to give you comfort when using the tool for longer periods. This holds down the trigger and as such, it will reduce fatigue.
- The 4 orbital settings are also a great feature to watch on the PORTER-CABLE PCE345. This is what allows you to make cuts on different materials.
- There will be hardly any downtimes as there is a tool-less blade change on this jigsaw.
Best Cordless Jigsaw Reviews:
For the cordless jigsaws, as well, there are several models that you will encounter on the market. Picking one may be overwhelming, if you do not have the relevant know how. Here are best cordless jigsaw reviews for the top rated products.
Makita XVJ03Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Jig Saw (Tool Only, No Battery)
The Makita XVJ03Z is one of the best cordless jigsaws that you can find on the market. This offers a great combination of power and position and it the lightest model in its class. If you are jobsite contractor and need a seamless model, then this will serve the purpose. There are several features that are included on this saw that will ensure that you are getting the highest performance when you need to make cuts. Besides the comfort that the tool offers, there will be minimal vibration and the noise levels have been reduced. It is important to note that this is sold as a tool only, without a battery.
With a weight of 6.1 pounds, the Makita XVJ03Z is easier to handle and control. It has been designed in such a manner that it will reduce the fatigue on the users. There is a large 2 finger speed trigger that allows you to set the speed according to the application that is being handled. The jigsaw has variable speeds and the motor has the capacity to deliver 0 to 2,600 strokes per minute. This is an assurance of fast and accurate cuts. There are also 3 orbital settings on this saw and this gives you the option to cut on different materials.
There is a tool-less blade change mechanism on this jigsaw and this will make the installation and replacement of blades fast and easy. The base is the precision machine and made of heavy duty material. This will enhance the cutting process and also contributes to the durability of this jig saw. There is an internal LED light on the Makita XVJ03Z, which will illuminate the work area and give you a clear vision. The rubberized soft grip on the handle will give you great comfort when you are using this model. You do not have to worry about over-discharging, overheating or overloading of the saw, as it has Star Protection Computer Controls.
Makita 18v jigsaw Core Features
- Makita XVJ03Z comes with a large trigger that fits 2 fingers and this will give you the convenience of adjusting the speed.
- This jig saw has a variable speed motor that will deliver up to 2,600 stroked per minute, which will give you fast and accurate cutting.
- The blade change system is tool less and as such, you will be able to reduce the down times as there are no tools needed for changing the blade.
- The heavy duty and precision machined base will give you a smooth and accurate performance. This also contributes to the durability of the jigsaw.
- There are 3 orbital settings and a straight cutting, which will be useful for making cuts on different materials.
DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B 18-Volt Cordless Jig Saw with Keyless Blade Change
DEWALT DC330B is the best jigsaw as it comes as a confirmation that you do not have to sacrifice the convenience and power. While this is a cordless jigsaw, it comes with amazing capabilities and will deliver the same performance as a corded tool. This is an ideal tool for professionals and it has a motor with high performance and variable speeds. However, when you choose to buy this model, you will get the tool only, without the battery. The speed ranges from 0 to 3,000 strokes per minute, which is adequate to cut different materials.
With the DEWALT DC330B, you can be able to make straight or curved cuts on different materials, like plywood, solid wood, laminate, metal and even plastic. The keyless shoe bevel is made of metal all around and comes with detents at 0, 15, 30 and 45 degrees. This gives you the versatility that you will need for making bevel cuts easily. The stroke length of 1 inch is also included, which are some of the features that make this to be an ideal jigsaw for professional use. There is also a keyless lever action blade clamp that makes it easy to change the blades, as needed.
The 4 position orbital action switch allows you to set the action according to the quality of the cut that you want, as well as the materials. The top handle design is quite convenient as it gives control and comfort of the jigsaw. In addition, the handle also has an anti-slip comfort grip, which makes handling the saw much easier. With an ideal weight of 5.1 pounds, you can maneuver easily with this jigsaw. The dust blower is fully adjustable and will be useful in the management of the dust, leaving the cut line clear of debris and chips.
Dewalt 18v cordless jigsaw Core Features
- The DEWALT DC330B has an all metal keyless shoe bevel that has detents at 0 degrees, 15 degrees, 30 and 45 degrees, to give you versatile bevel cuts.
- There is an adjustable dust blower that will be responsible for ensuring that the cut line is clear of sawdust and any debris.
- The top handle of the DEWALT DC330B is comfortable and is coupled with an anti-slip soft grip, to enhance the grasp.
- There is a 4 position orbital action on the jigsaw and this will provide great control and enhance the quality of the cuts, as well as the speed.
- The blade change mechanism is tool-less and therefore, there will be minimal downtimes as you will execute blade changes quite fast and easily.
Bosch JS120BN 12-volt Max Cordless Jig Saw with Exact-Fit Insert Tray
The Bosch JS120 jigsaw also comes on top of the cordless models. This is one saw that has a barrel grip design, which makes it easier to handle. As long as you can control a jig saw properly, even the most complex cuts are easy to maneuver. This is what this model offers and if also comes with an orbital action that is adjustable and thereby, you will be able to make precise and aggressive cuts. Among the features that you will love is the fact that it is quite light in weight, and therefore there will be reduced fatigue.
The Bosch JS120 is equipped with ECP and EMP technology, which will prevent any cases of battery overheating and overloading of the motor. The blade clamp is multi-directional and is also tool-less. This makes it easier to change blades. There is an LED light that will light up the surface that you are cutting so as to give you improved visibility and this enhances the precision of the cuts made. The handle is quite small and easy to handle, considering that the saw weighs 3.3 pounds, with a battery included.
The compact and unique design of the tool allows you to handle it in different angles and easily use it in tight areas. The Bosch JS120 has a ¾ inch length stroke and a variable speed of 1500 to 2800 SPM. There are anti-vibration features that will not only improve the accuracy of the cuts but also reduce fatigue. The Exact-Fit Tool Inlay will make the saw to work with the Bosch L-BOXX system for holding tools and blades, to access them conveniently.
Bosch 12v cordless jigsaw Core Features
- The Bosch JS120 comes with an Exact-Fit Insert tray that will help you with being organized as it will give you convenient for storing your tools and blades.
- The jigsaw has a small grip diameter and this will reduce your fatigue, even if you were to use for a long time.
- This saw comes with an adjustable footplate that will be used for bevel cuts and can be adjusted up to 45 degrees.
- Besides the compact design, the saw also is light in weight as it weighs 3.3 lbs.
- The blade change mechanism is quite convenient as it can be operated with one hand. This will speed up the process of changing the blades.
Things to Consider When Buying a Perfect Jigsaw
I have already informed you that there are so many models of the jigsaw on the market. Although they all appear to be similar, they come with glaring differences, in their features and functionalities. This means that there are some considerations that you need to pay attention to, so as to get the best jigsaw. Here are the essentials to consider, when shopping for your jigsaw:
Whether you are buying a corded or cordless model, you need to ensure that it has adequate power to cut your materials. You will use the motor to judge the power output of the saw, which is seen in the form of the strokes per minute that the saw delivers. The power of the saw is what will determine the applications that you can use it for. Even if you were to compromise on any other trait, you should be sure that the jigsaw has enough power.
Blade Change System
Look for a jigsaw that has a simple mechanism to change the blade. Remember that the jigsaw can be used for various applications. This means that you will have to change the blade to accommodate the materials that you cutting as well as the type of cuts being made. It is imperative to look for a tool less system, as this is much easier and ensures faster blade changes. There will be no tools required to execute this change or replacement of the blade. You will want to have minimal downtimes as you work with the jigsaw.
Corded or Cordless
Are you looking for a jigsaw that you can use at home or workshop, or you want a jobsite model? This is an essential question to ask yourself so that you can consider if you want the corded or cordless models. As far as the price goes, the cordless models tend to be more expensive than the corded ones. If you do not have to leave the workshop, then, it would be advisable to buy a corded model, which will be cheaper and quite reliable. However, for jobsite contractors, the cordless model would be ideal.
Design and Ergonomics
The ergonomics and design of the jigsaw is another key feature to consider. This is what will give you control as you are able to handle the saw properly. When looking at the design, pay attention to the handle and ensure that it fits into your hands comfortably. The grip should also be soft and possibly rubberized, in that the tool will give you a secure grip at all times. The compact designs make it easier to make cuts in hard to reach places.
When analyzing the motor of the jigsaw, check it is important to establish the type of speed settings that you will be getting. The best option is when there are variable speeds, as you are able to set the speed based on the application that you are dealing with. The accuracy of the cuts will highly depend on the speed that you are using. You make so much use of the jigsaw when it allows you to adjust the speed settings accordingly.
For more in-depth information about How to Use a Jigsaw Step by step Guide, I highly recommend this article – https://bestsawreviews.com/how-to-use-a-jigsaw/
10 Safety Tips When Using a Jigsaw
When you have the best jigsaw, you need to be cautious so as to avoid injuries. This is a powerful tool and can be quite dangerous. Here are some safety tips when you are using a jigsaw to make cuts:
- The blades that you are using should always be sharp and this should be checked before you can start making cuts. Dull blades are dangerous as they will not only affect the quality of cuts but may also cause kickbacks.
- Always operate the saw with safety and protective clothing, like gloves, overalls, earplugs, glasses and dust masks.
- Study the owner’s manual so as to understand all the features and how they work, before you can start using the saw.
- You should only operate the jigsaw when you are sober and not under the influence of alcohol, or any other toxic substance.
- Your hands and eyes should be focused on the work piece and the jigsaw. Avoid any distractions when working with this tool.
- The blade and the other essential parts of the jigsaw should always be clean and lubricated.
- Ensure that you have the right blade for each task that you have to handle so that you can have great results.
- The dust blower needs to be working as this will help in keeping the cut line clear of any debris and waste material.
- A jigsaw is a powered tool and as such, you should never use it in wet areas, as this could trigger electrocution.
- Never force the jigsaw to cut stubborn material, as it may bounce back, damaging the saw and also causing injuries.
Go here if you are looking for How to Change a Jigsaw Blade.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long does the battery of a cordless take to charge fully?
A: While this may differ in various models, most of them take about an hour to get to full charge. With the fast charging system, this may take about 45 minutes.
Q: Is there a recommended extension cord to use with the jigsaw?
A: The most important thing to do when choosing an extension cord, for your jigsaw, is to check if it can support the amperage. Using an extension cord, with a lower rating will affect the performance of the saw.
Q: Do jigsaws support both T-shank and U-shank blades?
A: A good number of jigsaws support the T-shank blade and this is common. However, there are some that will also support U-shank blades or a combination of both. You need to find one that will serve your needs rightfully.
Q: What applications can the jigsaw be used for?
A: Jigsaws are quite versatile and they can be used to cut wood, metal, stone, ceramic, plastic and laminate among others. The critical thing is to ensure that you have the ideal blade for each specific cut.
Q: Should the blades be sharpened every time?
A: One of the safety requirements when working with a jigsaw is to ensure that the blades are sharp. As such, you should sharpen them every time, but it may be convenient to buy new ones since they are quite cheap.
Q: What blades will my jigsaw come with?
A: There are models that are sold without any blades and you will be forced to buy the blades separately. However, a good number of brands will come with a standard woodcutting blade, which is common. If you need blades for other tasks, it is advisable to buy them.
A jigsaw is a popular tool and as such, there are so many models that you will find on the market. Just like any other product, there are some that you will notice are superior to others. This may create a headache for you if you do not know what you need to buy. Each of the manufacturers claims to have the best saw that will meet your needs in the best way possible, but this is not always true.
I have taken the time to review the best cordless and corded jigsaws on the market. From the models I narrowed down to, I recommend the DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B 18-Volt Cordless Jig Saw with Keyless Blade Change. This the best jigsaw as it is quite powerful and has so many convenient features. This guide will help you pick the right tool and as such, it would be nice to share it with your friends and loved ones, so that they can benefit as well.