When it comes to making a choice of the best cordless reciprocating saw, there are so many products to choose from and this may not be easy. The cordless mechanism is quite beneficial for most people, whether you are a professional or a hobbyist. Any cordless tool is great to have around as it is easy to use and you do not have to worry about being tangled with the cables. You will want to make unique cuts that are accurate and the reciprocating saw is the best.
While the reciprocating saw is known to be quite powerful, the cordless technology makes it even better. With the cordless design, there is free movement and motion that you will enjoy. As a matter of fact, the saw will rescue the amount of time that you will have to spend when using corded tools. This is what makes the cordless models to be the best reciprocating saw that you can have. I will guide you on how to find the right cordless tool that will serve your needs.
Table of Contents
- 1 5 Best Cordless reciprocating saw Reviews In 2022
- 1.1 1. Makita XRJ04Z 18V LXT Lithium Ion – Makita Cordless Reciprocating Saw
- 1.2 2. Milwaukee 2720-21 M18 FUEL SAWZALL – Milwaukee Reciprocating Saw
- 1.3 3. DEWALT DCS388T2 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless – Best DEWALT Reciprocating Saw
- 1.4 4. Bosch Bare-Tool CRS180B 18-Volt Lithium-Ion – Bosch 18V Reciprocating Saw
- 1.5 5. DEWALT DCS380B 20-Volt MAX Li-Ion Reciprocating Saw
Why Cordless Reciprocating Saw and Its Benefit?
The best cordless reciprocating saw is amazing as it has so much power and will make it easy to make cuts in some of the toughest places. The fact that it is cordless, there is so much freedom when it comes to using it. You can easily turn and twist when reaching for some of the areas that are hard to access. As long as you can find the perfect model, you will be able to reap great benefits.
- This is a lightweight model that will be easy to handle, without causing any fatigue, even when you have to work for longer hours.
- You will be able to get along strength length and a high SPM, which will give versatility when making cuts.
- The fact that the saws use batteries, there are convenient to carry around for tasks that are away from electricity. You will still get the power that you need to make your cuts.
- There are good ergonomics on the cordless reciprocating saw and as such, you will have a firm grip and therefore have control on the cuts.
- The changing of the adaptor is quite fast and this will make your work to continue, without unnecessary hitches.
5 Best Cordless reciprocating saw Reviews In 2022
There are so many brands of the reciprocating saw and most of them are of sound quality. When searching for the best cordless reciprocating saw, you may be faced with the same challenge as there are quite a number of models out there. Here is a review of some of the top-rated saws on the market, and this should help you make a decision on the model that suits your needs.
1. Makita XRJ04Z 18V LXT Lithium Ion – Makita Cordless Reciprocating Saw
Shopping for a tool that will serve your needs is a demanding process and you need to find one that offers a combination of the best features. Makita XRJ04Z is a great tool to have. This is sold as a tool only for a battery powered cordless reciprocating saw.
This saw is powered by an 18V LXT Lithium-Ion battery, which is quite powerful and known to last for a long time. The batteries are also quite fast in charging, which makes you continue with your work with minimal interruptions. With this power, you are assured of high cutting speed, efficiency and accuracy.
Makita Reciprocating Saw 18v Core Features
- Makita XRJ04Z is the Makita XRJ04Z as it comes with the Extreme Protection Technology that will protect the saw form water and dust when working in harsh conditions.
- It comes with a variable speed motor that offers up to 2800 strokes per minute and the long stroke length of 1 ¼ inch will improve the cutting speed.
- This is a light reciprocating saw and is easy to carry around. It weighs 8.3 pounds when it has a battery in place.
- You will be able to change the blade and install it without using any tools and this is a way of improving productivity.
- The large 2-finger variable speed trigger will give you the convenience of adjusting the speed accordingly.
The Makita XRJ04Z comes with a long 1 ¼ inch stroke length and thereby, it will increase the cutting efficiency. All the feature are designed to facilitate proper cutting when working with this particular model. There is a refined crank system design that is essential in the operation of this tool. This will minimize the chances of blade deflection as well as minimize the vibration. There is also a variable speed trigger that is large enough to accommodate two fingers. The tool-less blade change system will allow you to make blade removal and installation fast and easy. There is an electric brake that has been included as part of the safety tools.
This saw is designed to give you maximum productivity, without compromising your safety and convenience. The rubberized soft grip handle will give you a firm and comfortable grip. As such, you will be able to control the tool, so as to make the cuts that you desire. The Extreme Protection Technology, which is referred to as XPT is quite useful. This was designed in such a manner that it will improve dust and water resistance. As such, this model can be used in extreme conditions, without being affected. The batteries and charger are not part of the package, and you will have to buy them separately.
2. Milwaukee 2720-21 M18 FUEL SAWZALL – Milwaukee Reciprocating Saw
M18 FUEL SAWZALL is one of the best tools that have been made by Milwaukee. As a matter of fact, this is said to be the fastest cordless reciprocating saw with an 18 volt battery. Compared to other similar models, this model will offer up to 30% faster cutting and as such, if you want. increased productivity, this is the best Sawzall saw to buy.
There is a brushless motor that will give you as much cutting power as the corded reciprocating saws. This means that any task that you can execute with a corded saw, the Milwaukee 2720-21 can accomplish it as well.
- M18 FUEL SAWZALL offers the fastest cutting speeds, of up to 30% more than similar tools, in its class.
- The batteries are quite powerful and this gives the saw the same power that the corded models will deliver.
- The intelligence technology comes in handy as it will protect the saw and optimize performance. This prevents overloading or overheating of the system.
- The one-key technology has been enabled and comes with 4 customizable settings.
- There are a number of convenient features like lock-off switch, adjustable shoe and rafter hook.
As far as the batteries go, this model comes with REDLITHIUM XC 4.0 Extended Capacity Battery Pack. This set of batteries is known to have a long battery life and will last up to 2 times the runtime of other tools that use 18-volt batteries. With every single charge, you will be able to get enough power and as such, you will spend more time working, and less time charging the batteries.
There is an intelligence system, known as REDLINK PLUS, which will optimize the performance of the tool. This will prevent any cases of over-discharging, overheating and overloading. There is an adjustable shoe and LED light, which is included as part of the convenience features. The One-Key technology is quite advanced and will allow you to customize the blade speed depending on the material being cut. There is a rafter hook that has also been included and you can use it to hang the tool in between jobs, or when you are done with the project.
3. DEWALT DCS388T2 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless – Best DEWALT Reciprocating Saw
By all definitions, the DEWALT DCS388T2 stands out as the best cordless reciprocating saw. This model comes with a brushless motor and a 2 battery kit, which gives you adequate power. FLEXVOLT technology is quite remarkable, and it is the battery system that this saw uses.
This is one of a kind battery that will change the voltage automatically when change tools. As such, much as the battery has a maximum voltage of 60V, it works with the saw and gives it enough power. There is also the advantage of getting more runtime when using this battery.
- While this is a cordless saw, it has the same power as a corded one as it used the FLEXVOLT technology battery, which will change the voltage according to the tool in use.
- It comes with a keyless lever-action blade clamp, which gives you quick and easy blade change.
- The LED light will illuminate dark work areas, to enhance your visibility.
- The variable speed trigger is a convenient feature that allows you to change the speed instantly.
- The brushless motor has 0 to 2950 SPM and this works with the 1-1/8” stroke length to give you an efficient and fast cutting action.
There is so much freedom that you will get with this saw as it was cordless. The keyless lever-action blade clamp will facilitate speedy blade change and installation. When it comes to the convenience of using this tool, it has a variable speed trigger, which will allow you to control the speed as you would please, instantly. There 1-1/8 inches stroke length is long enough and this will improve the cutting action by making it fast and efficient. The pivoting shoe is also an interesting feature as it provides you the leverage for various applications.
The LED light is an added advantage to the saw as it will illuminate the dark areas when you are working so that you can have good visibility. As far as your comfort and grip goes, this recipro saw has a handle, with a rubber over mold grip. This will give you great comfort and a steady grip when working. This is one of the models that are known to have reduced vibration and as such your muscles will not be fatigued, easily, even when you have to work for extended periods.
4. Bosch Bare-Tool CRS180B 18-Volt Lithium-Ion – Bosch 18V Reciprocating Saw
If you are looking for a combination of efficiency and effectiveness, then the Bosch Bare-Tool CRS180B is the tool to get. This reciprocating saw is unique in so many ways and this is why it has become a popular choice for many people.
For instance, it is compact in terms of the length and also is light in weight, as it weighs only 7.6 pounds. This will give you the best power to weight ration and you will be able to handle a wide range of tasks with the saw. This is a tough saw and has the capacity to handle tough applications.
- The compact size of the saw makes it easier to use in tight spaces and also it weighs 7.6 pounds, making light to handle.
- The Bosch Bare-Tool CRS180B is an efficient cordless recipro saw as it delivers long strokes of 1 1/8 inches.
- There is a fast blade change mechanism and the Lockjaw blade holder facilitates one hand blade changes.
- The handle of the blade is ergonomically shaped and has a soft grip, which will give you great comfort when controlling your cuts.
- There are 2-speed settings, which you can adjust using the variable speed trigger, to suit the application that you are cutting.
There are two speed settings on Bosch Bare-Tool CRS180B, which makes it versatile and allows you to set according to the task at hand. The easy blade change system and the long cutting stroke are some of the features that qualify this to the best cordless reciprocating saw. This is a saw that is designed to go anywhere as it cordless and can be used by different professionals. There is an advantage in that you can cut on different materials including conduit and pipe. You will cut tough materials, in hard to access areas, with ease.
The variable speed trigger allows to change the speed conveniently and as such, you can control the cuts, depending on the material and toughness. You will not have to worry about issues of kickback. The speed settings give you the opportunity to be able to match the speed of the saw to the material that is being cut. The 1 1/8 inch long stroke will give a better sewing experience. With every single stroke, you will be able to remove a whole lot of material, which enhances productivity. The handle comes with an ergonomic design and a comfortable grip.
5. DEWALT DCS380B 20-Volt MAX Li-Ion Reciprocating Saw
For the HVAC and mechanical contractors, carpenters, electricians, plumbers and other professionals, they need to use high quality tools. The DEWALT DCS380B is a great cordless reciprocating saw that is equipped with innovative features and patented technology to suit all these professionals.
This saw is known to increase productivity and the performance of all your job site projects. Besides cutting through materials fast, this saw will give you more control and precision. The 20 V Max battery is quite powerful and will give more runtime when compared to the other models in its class.
- The DEWALT DCS380B has a pivoting shoe that is adjustable and this will allow you to control the depth of the cut, without damaging the blade.
- The variable speed trigger will allow you to adjust the speed accordingly and gives you – to 3000 strokes per minute.
- There is a 4 position blade clamp, which gives you positional versatile and able to make flush cuts.
- It comes with a 1 1/8 inch stroke length, which gives you faster cutting speeds as each stroke takes off significant material.
- This is sold as a bare tool and as such, you can use your existing blades as well as batteries.
There is a very bright LED light that has been incorporated in the DEWALT DCS380B reciprocating saw. This makes it easier for you to get good visibility, even in dark areas as the light will illuminate the workpiece. This comes as bare tools that can be used with the batteries that you have as well as the existing blades. The 4 position blade clamp is an ideal feature as it will allow flush cutting and this increases the versatility to a great extent. Their blade change mechanism is tool-free and as such, you will be able to accomplish it fast and easily.
This model comes with a long stroke of 1 1/8 inches, which is responsible for the delivery of fast cutting. The variable speed trigger is also a convenient feature and comes with 0-3000 strokes per minute. This will give great blade control and faster cutting speed. The pivoting adjustable shoe is a safety feature that will protect your saw blade and extend its life. The handle has a rubber over molded comfort grip, which gives you top notch comfort and control. DEWALT DCS380B offers a combination of power, performance, speed and precision for job site projects.
What to Consider When Buying a Reciprocating Saw?
There are so many models of cordless reciprocating saws and choosing the right one may become an overwhelming task. However, with some guiding factors, you should be able to find one that will help you achieve perfect cuts. Here are some key considerations when shopping for the best cordless reciprocating saw:
The power of the cordless reciprocating saw is one of the essential considerations. The power is measured in amperage and when you have higher amps, it will give the saw more power. With more power, one should cut through the toughest applications. In most cases, these tools will run on motors that are less than 10 amps. You should definitely keep your mind on the power that you will get. For those who are looking to get the most out their saw, it is essential to consider the power.
When it comes to the strokes, you need to consider the number of strokes as well as the strength of the strokes in a given minute. This will determine the speed at which the saw will make cuts. When you have a high SPM, this will make it faster to cuts your stock and when the strokes are longer, you will be able to cover more ground, with each spin of the motor. The cordless Sawzall saw is one with a variable speed trigger and this will help you to control the speed of your saw.
Seeing that these cordless models work without being plugged into the power source, you should, definitely, consider the battery life. When you have a battery that lasts for a long time, then you can rely on such a model to work for a long period of time. However, it is worth noting that when you go for the high power models, they will tend to last for a shorter while. There are some models that have that come with advanced batteries that power them.
The weight of the Sawzall saw is another factor that you need to consider. While looking at the weight of the saw, it is important to note that there are models that are meant to be used with both hands, and others need to be used with one hand. When you have a lighter model, you will be able to maneuver with ease. In most cases, the cordless models are heavier, as a result of having the battery attached.
The style of the grip is also instrumental, especially when you have to use the saw for long periods. The ergonomics around the grip area are quite important as this will influence how well you control the saw. This will keep your hands comfortable, even when you have cut through heavy applications. Most modern models come with enhanced ergonomics to give you a firm and secure grip.
10 Safety Tips When Using Cordless Reciprocating Saw
The cordless reciprocating saw is a great tool to have, but it has been known to cause a number of injuries. As a way of mitigating these injuries, here are some safety tips that I feel are important for you to follow when working with the saw:
- Before using the reciprocating saw, ensure that you have read the manual and fully understood it to enhance your safety.
- You should always ensure that your back is properly supported when working with the saw so as to prevent strain and injuries on your back.
- Even when you are under pressure to complete tasks, you should create intentional breaks as this will improve your productivity.
- If you choose to work with the reciprocating saw, you should not take alcohol while working. You need to be sober when working with such a tool and not intoxicated in any way.
- The blades that you are using in the Sawzall saw should be sharp so as to make the cutting process smooth and efficient.
- Clean the work area so as to have visibility when you are making the cuts. Do not leave any sawdust or debris in your work area.
- Come to the workshop in the right protective attire like gloves, safety glasses and non-slip shoes among others. You should not have loose clothing or accessories when working.
- Inasmuch as this tool is cordless, it is still powered by batteries and as such, you need to be careful with the work environment. The work area should not be wet as this may end up causing electric shocks.
- Never overreach with the saw as this can be quite dangerous if you end up slipping. Also, do not force the cutting process as this is the main cause of kickbacks.
- If you want to make any adjustments like blade changes, you need to turn off the saw and detach the battery as a safety measure.
If you want to know more details about how to safely use the reciprocating saw read here – https://bestsawreviews.com/how-to-use-a-reciprocating-saw/.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which is the right battery to use with my cordless recip saw?
A: When it comes to the choice of the batteries, it is important to note that the saw is in offered with different motor capacities, which influences the voltage of the battery. Stick to the batteries recommended by the manufacturer.
Q: Is there a specific blade that is recommended for the use with the reciprocating saw?
A: In most cases, this will be influenced by the applications that you intend to cut. When choosing the blade, it imperative to ensure that it works with the specific model of saw.
Q: How long will my battery last after charging and using the saw?
A: There are batteries that have a longer run time than others. However, on average, a good battery should last for up to 4 hours when in use, after it has been charged completely.
Q: Do all reciprocating saws come with batteries or do I have to buy separately?
A: No, not all models will come with batteries. In fact, some of the reciprocating saw models are sold as bare tools, without batteries and blades. You will have to buy the battery and the charger beside the tool.
Q: How does the variable speed trigger work?
A: The variable speed trigger allows you to change the speed of the blade moderately. This is one of the best ways to avoid kickbacks and achieve controlled cuts.
There is so much that you can achieve with the cordless reciprocating saw, as long as you can find the right one. This has become one of the most popular tools for different professionals as well as DIYers enthusiasts. There is the convenience of being able to use the saw anywhere as it is cordless and relies on the batteries that it runs on. Most modern models will give you the same power as you would get when you are working with a corded reciprocating saw.
With the tons of models on the market, the choice of the best reciprocating saw can be quite a challenge. I have reviewed some of the best models, in the market, above and from the ones I picked, I advocate for the DEWALT DCS388T2 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless Reciprocating Saw with 2 Battery Kit. This is the best cordless reciprocating saw in so many ways and would be worth considering. If you have found value and insight on this guide, please share it with your loved ones so that they can learn about cordless recip saw.