The cordless band saw is quite useful for any wood and metal workers. Generally, this is the type of saw that will allow you to make different types of cuts on your applications. However, making a choice of the right band saw can be somewhat difficult. This is mainly due to the fact that there are so many models that are on the marker. Being light in weight is one of the key advantages of this tool as you can carry it anywhere that you please. This will give you an exceptional cutting performance and as such, it is imperative to find the right one.
There a number of things that you need to put into consideration when shopping for a portable band saw. With such considerations, it becomes relatively easy to be able to pick a model that will be suitable for your needs. I have tested a number of models from reputable brands and narrowed down to the best ones. While they may seem to be the same, there is a great variance in terms of the features that each has to offer. In this guide, I will share with you all that you need to know about band saws so that you can pick a cordless tool that is resourceful.
Table of Contents
- 1 The 5 Best Cordless Band Saw Reviews in 2020
- 1.1 1. Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 Cordless Sub-Compact Bandsaw Kit
- 1.2 2. Bosch Compact Band Saw Bare-Tool BSH180B 18-Volt Lithium-Ion
- 1.3 3. DEWALT Cordless Band Saw Bare-Tool DCS370B 18-Volt
- 1.4 4. Makita Cordless Band Saw XBP02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion
What is The Benefits of Cordless Band Saw
There are different types of band saws, but the cordless band saw has its advantages. Ideally, this will be used when you need to cut irregular shapes or when you need to resaw your work piece. When you have the right blade, the band saw will allow you to make smooth cuts and can even rip thinner lumber pieces. This is the great tool for both wood and metal applications and comes with tons of advantages.
So far, you must have come to the realization of the usefulness of the portable band saw. This is a tool that will make your work easier and help you to make professional cuts. Even if you are a hobbyist, you will convert your work to be like that of a pro, with a band saw. Here is a summary of some of the key benefits that you will draw from a band saw:
- The cordless band saw is portable and as such, it allows you to move from one point to another conveniently. This is made possible by the lightweight that it has and as such, you can carry it with ease.
- The compact design of these saws is also another essential benefit. This makes it easier to handle and maneuver it when making the cuts that you need to make. This is a huge advantage when you are making unconventional cuts.
- This is also a versatile tool as it can be used for different applications and will not disappoint. It balances mobility and cutting capacity, properly.
- There are a number of features that enhance the usefulness of the band saw, like the LED light and variable speed trigger.
- The band saw is a great tool to provide a consistent and uniformed cutting action as it comes with teeth that evenly distributed.
The 5 Best Cordless Band Saw Reviews in 2020
When you go out to shop for a cordless band saw, you will find quite a number of models on the market. However, not all of them will be up to the task and this is why you may need to find a model with the features that serve your needs. With the right tool, you will get exceptional performance and make unique and smooth cuts. Here are reviews for the cordless models of band saws that are currently top rated on the market and with be worth buying.
1. Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 Cordless Sub-Compact Bandsaw Kit
Whether you are a professional or a hobbyist, you will need a reliable band saw. When you have to cut metals without the right tools, it can be quite painful and this why you need to invest in a high quality band saw. If you are looking for a convenient band saw, which is portable, then you should consider the Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 as this is cordless sub-compact band saw. This is considered to be a versatile model as it can cut through pipes and metals without a problem. When you buy this portable band saw, there is an advantage of using it on different jobsites, as it is easy to carry around.
- One-Handed Cuts: Most compact size and lightest weight of any cordless band saw; SFPM: 280
- Powerful Motor: Cuts 3/4" EMT in 3 seconds, up to 150 cuts per charge with the XC battery;...
- 1-5/8" Cut Capacity: For a wide range of applications; LED Light: Highlights the cut line
- Meets OSHA Guarding Requirements: Suitable for One-Handed use; Length: 11 "
- The saw comes with a blade tension adjustment, which will make it convenient to use as it has an adjustable blade tracking feature.
- The depth cut of the Milwaukee cordless band saw 2429-21XC M12 is 1 5/8 inches and this allows you to cut through a wide range of applications, with ease.
- This band saw has a compact size and is the lightest model in its category. As a matter of fact, it supports one hand operations, which is quite convenient.
- There is an LED light, which is a great feature as it will illuminate the cut line and ensure that all the cuts are smooth and accurate.
- The Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 is known for the powerful motor that cuts ¾ inches EMT in just 3 seconds. When the battery is fully charged, you can make up to 150 cuts.
One thing that I loved about the Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 is the fact it is a resourceful tool, yet it is quite affordable. This is a saw that will meet your needs in the same that you would want, and it does not frustrate you. The features that you will find on this model, are the ones that would ideally be on the high end band saws. The compact size and light weight are some of the things that you will love about the saw. This allows you to handle it with ease and you can maneuver your cuts with a single hand.
With the Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12, you will be able to cut tons of steel rods to the length that you desire, in just a few minutes. This model comes with a 12 V battery, which powers the saw to make the cuts. There is a convenient LED light that will illuminate the cutting line, ensuring that the cuts are accurate. The depth of the cuts with this band saw is 1 5/8 inches. When you buy this model, you will get a storage case that is made from strong plastic and has a handle, for easier carrying.
2. Bosch Compact Band Saw Bare-Tool BSH180B 18-Volt Lithium-Ion
Finding a reliable tool for your work is one of the secrets to succeeding in whatever you do. This is the case when you go shopping for a reliable band saw. The Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B is a great tool to have and among the latest models by Bosch. From history, Bosch is known to be one of the best brands for power tools and it does not disappoint. With this particular model, it has been made to be up to 40% more compact and 60% lighter than the other saws for making deep cuts. As such, you will not have any problems handling the tool for any type of cuts that you are making.
- Best-in-class compact size up to 60-percent lighter than deep cut saws and up to...
- Integrated LED work light: illuminates the cut line in dark areas
- 2-1/2-inch by 2-1/2-inch cutting capacity
- Ideal for working in tight spaces or overhead cutting
- The Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B is ideal for a number of applications as it can be used to cut most common materials, and this is why it is useful for most contractors.
- The LED light that has been included on this model is a convenient feature. This will illuminate the cut line and makes it easier to make cuts even in dark areas.
- The saw is useful for making overhead cuts as well as cuts that are in very tight places as it is easy to control and navigate.
- The Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B stands out as it is 60% lighter and 40% more compact than the other models that are in its class.
- It comes with a base that is made from rugged aluminum, making it be a durable tool.
The Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B saw is a cordless saw that uses an 18 volt lithium-ion battery. The saw has an amazing cutting capacity as it can cut 2.5 by 2.5 inches, which makes it ideal for most contractors, plumbers, electricians and other professionals. You can use the band saw to make cuts on most materials. When it comes to the power capacity, the saw offers you the flexibility of choosing between a slim pack and the fat pack battery. The saw has an LED light that has been integrated to illuminate the cut line so you can use it, even in darker areas and still be able to achieve accurate cuts.
As far as durability goes the rugged aluminum base is built to last. This means that the Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B will withstand the toughest conditions and still serve the purpose. It is important to note that the charger and the battery are sold separately. This is an ideal tool to make cuts on very tight places or when you need to make some cuts overhead. This is the best option that you will get in this class and it does not cost a fortune, making it be the Best band saw for the money.
3. DEWALT Cordless Band Saw Bare-Tool DCS370B 18-Volt
DEWALT DCS370B is another cordless band saw that will not frustrate you as it has a cutting capacity of 2 ½ inches. As such, you can make easily make cuts of up to 2 inches on the SCH-40 pipe. If you are looking for a model that offers you great ergonomics and balance, then this is the tool that you need to get. The beauty of this model is that it will guarantee superior performance and ensures that you have accurate cuts while reducing the fatigue. The hanging hook that has been included will let you hand the saw in such a manner that it does not get damaged.
- 1/2" cut capacity cuts up to 2" SCH 40 pipe
- Superior balance and ergonomics allows for more accurate cuts and less user fatigue
- Integrated hang hook allows user to hang the saw without damaging the front handle or base
- Blade tracking adjustment increases blade life by providing better blade tracking
- With a weight of less than 10 pounds and length of 15 inches, the DEWALT DCS370B is a great band saw to use for jobsite tasks as it is portable and easy to carry.
- There is a tool-free blade changing lever that will loosen the blade tension to allow speedy blade changes, without the use of any tools.
- There is a hanging hook that is included on this saw and as such, you will be able to hang the saw safely after use and not damage any part of it.
- The DEWALT DCS370B has superior balance and ergonomics, which play a vital role in ensuring that you are able to achieve accurate and smooth cuts, without too much effort.
- The blade tracking adjustment feature on this band saw will increase the life of the blade, by offering reliable blade tracking.
This is a portable model that used 18 volt battery and this gives you great power. The DEWALT DCS370B has a heavy duty nylon base that is filled with glass to ensure that it serves you for a very long time. There is a handle that is placed at the center and this will give you great balance when making overhead cuts. The blade tracking adjustment will increase the blade life and as such, your blade will have a longer life span. The tool less blade changing lever is quite ideal as it will loosen the blade tension and facilitate speedy blade changes, without using any tools.
The DEWALT DCS370B has an ergonomic soft grip handle at the back that will provide you with great support, full of flexibility and comfort. The dual bearing blade guide rollers will offer you great blade support and also increase the durability. You will realize that this is a compact and light band saw, which makes it easy to carry to the jobsite. It weighs less than 10 pounds and has a convenient length of 15 inches. The fact that it can be used to cut different applications makes it an ideal tool for plumbers, electricians and other professional contractors.
4. Makita Cordless Band Saw XBP02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion
Buying a cordless band saw can be a great decision, especially when you get the right one. The Makita XBP02Z is an 18 volt LXT lithium-ion band saw that is portable. It is important to note that this is sold as a tool only and you will have to buy the battery and the charger separately. Being a Makita portable band saw, you can trust it to deliver great cutting power for metals and the fact that it does not have any cords, allows you to move freely while making your cuts. The motor has a high torque and this is what gives the saw adequate power to make cuts easily, on different types of materials.
- 4-3/4" Cutting capacity accepts a 44-7/8" Blade and is ideal for cutting multiple metal...
- Makita-built motor delivers faster cutting with variable speed 275-530 ft./min.
- Protection circuit with built-in alert light provides over-torque motor protection warning...
- Trigger switch with lock-off feature requires two actions to power on the band saw
- The Makita XBP02Z band saw has a 6 setting variable speed control dial and this will allow you to define the speed of the saw to the application you are working on.
- The saw weighs 14.3 pounds when it has the battery included and also has a compact size, which will reduce the fatigue and enhance productivity.
- The Makita XBP02Z is a durable band saw and has a protective bumper design that will improve on the longevity of the saw.
- The LED light that has been included is quite convenient in that it will illuminate the cut line and the work piece, even when you are working in areas that poorly lit.
- The built in motor is quite powerful and delivers faster cutting as it has speeds of 275 to 530 ft. /min.
The slide-style battery saw is among the best that are on the market and you can be sure that it will not frustrate you. The 18 volt LXT battery has the advantage of being able to charge pretty fast and this will improve on your productivity, as you will spend more time working and less time charging. The 6 setting variable speed control dial is another feature that you cannot ignore. This allows you to set the speed on the blade, depending on the type of application that you are cutting. The motor delivers a no load speed of 275 to 350 ft. /min.
With this Makita cordless band saw XBP02Z, you can be able to cut unistrut, metal, pipes, sheet metal, conduit, corrugated and square tubing among others. The saw comes with an adjustable foot that will protect the material and provide great support to ensure that the cuts are accurate. Since this saw weighs only 14.3 pounds and has a compact design, you will be able to handle it with ease and have full control. The shape of the handle makes it fit like a glove and this results in reduced fatigue when you are working. There is an LED light that will illuminate the work piece.
Things That Should Be Considered When Buying a Cordless Band Saw
Seeing that the market is flooded with quite a number of models, one may find it, rather taxing to find the best cordless band saw. The reviews are a great way to get some level of guidance on the model that you should go for, but there is are considerations that you should bear in mind as well. These are critical factors that will help you in making a decision and end up with a band saw that will be useful for you. Before settling for a particular model of the band saw, here are the key factors that you need to consider:
Use of the Saw
Before buying a portable band saw, it is imperative to analyze your needs and ensure that you clearly know your requirements. Are you looking for a tool to cut wood or metal, or one that will be used for several purposes? This is the fundamental question that you will need to answer so that you can make a good decision. The worst mistake that you can do is buy the wrong saw as this will not serve your purpose in any way.
The blade of the cordless band saw will determine the effectiveness of the tool. There are different types of blades for the band saws and you need to also check the size of the blade. Again, this is determined by the type of task that you intend to use your band saw on. You need to be sure if you are looking for a small scale or large scale saw so that you can end up with the right blade type as well as the right size for the specific use.
Since the band saw is a long term investment, you should inspect the type of material that it has been made of. Look at the design as well as the overall weight. Being a portable model, you will need to find one that is light enough, yet sturdy to be used for different applications. You should avoid saws that have most parts being made of plastic as this undermines the overall useful life of the tool.
While some people assume that the pattern of the teeth of the band saw blade does not matter, it does. You will need to pick a saw with a tooth pattern that is able to handle the thickness of the material that you will be cutting. If you have very thick material to cut, you will need to find a saw that has teeth, with wider gaps and fewer in number. For thin materials, you will need more teeth on the blade and a narrower gap.
Finally, the other critical consideration to make, when looking to buy a band saw is the speed of the blade. You need to be sure that you have a saw that has adequate blade speed that will match the application that you have. The best option will be to pick one that has variable speeds and a control dial so as to regulate the speed based on the cuts that you will be making with your band saw.
Band Saw Safety Tips
The cordless band saw is a great tool to have and it can allow you to accomplish quite a number of tasks. The saw is commonly used for cutting wood and metal applications. If not handled properly, the band saw can be a dangerous tool, which causes serious injuries. As such, you need to be cautious when using this tool, even if you are an expert. Here are some safety precautions that you should observe when using the band saw:
- You should make it a habit to read and follow the instructions that are provided by the manufacturer of your band saw. This is the most fundamental safety measure that you can take.
- As a rule of the thumb, you should keep your fingers away from the blade. It is recommended to have a distance of at least 3 inches from the blade to your fingers.
- You should adjust the upper guide to about ¼ inches above the workpiece before starting to make cuts with the band saw.
- When you are approaching the end of the cut, you should reduce the feed rate pressure, as a safety measure.
- There are times when you will have to change the blades and before you can do this, you should ensure that the blade is at a complete stop and the saw is disconnected from the power source.
- You should always wear safety protection when working with the band saw. On the bare minimum, have safety glasses and earplugs.
- If you notice that there small chips and debris that is stuck on the throat of your band saw, you should wait for the blade to come to a complete stop before trying to remove them.
- Always have the blade guard in place when using the band saw. This is a safety precaution that will prevent direct contact with the blade at any time.
- You should ensure that the work piece is intact and stays on the table at the point where the blade will exit.
- Make use of push sticks so as to ensure that your fingers are not coming too close to the blade.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I use the cordless band saw to cut Unistrut?
A: Yes, you can actually make use of the band saw to cut unistrut. However, you will need to ensure that you have the right blade, which is the right size so as to make such cuts.
Q: Does my saw come with a charger and a battery?
A: When you buy your portable band saw, there are models that are sold as a tool only. This means that you will have to buy the battery and the charger separately.
Q: Can I mount my portable band saw to carry out stationary work?
A: Ordinarily, the portable band saw does not come with mounting features as they are meant to be handheld and for jobsite tasks. For the stationary work, you will have to find a stationary band saw to serve the purpose.
Q: Will this saw be able to rough cut wood for hand carving purposes?
A: The band saw is ideal for making square cuts, randomly. If you want to make rough cuts for hand carving, you should buy a scroll saw.
Q: Does the band saw come with a blade?
A: Yes, in most cases, band saws will come with one band blade. Once you exhaust the useful life of the blade, you will have to buy another one.
Having come this far, you must have realized the essence of band saws. This is a great tool to have and can be used across different professions to make cuts on different materials. The biggest hurdle is being able to find the right model and after that, your work will become much easier. The portable band saw has the advantage of being light and easy to carry around.
The 4 models that I have reviewed in this guide are equally good and have amazing features. However, I would highly recommend the DEWALT Bare-Tool DCS370B 18-Volt Cordless Band Saw. This is an ideal model and has all the features that you would need to accomplish your task. Please feel free to share this information with others and keep checking this page for more updates on different power tools.