There are some cuts that you will need to use special tools to be to make. The advantage of the best compact circular saw is that you can easily cut through any material, fast and easy. In most cases, the saw will be used to make cuts on materials like fiberboards, chipboards, plywood, and many others. While the saw may be small in size, it is quite powerful as it an engine that will spin the blade to execute the cuts.
The whole essence of this tool is to make the work easier and it will save you a lot of time, compared to the other models of the saw. When you need to buy the compact saw, you will be confronted by a lot of models out there on the market. This can be confusing and this is why I had to come up with this guide. At the end of the guide, you should be able to pick the ideal circular saw.
Table of Contents
- 1 5 Best Compact Circular Saw Reviews To Buy In 2020
- 1.1 1. Rockwell RK3440K Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra-Compact Circular Saw
- 1.2 2. Genesis GCS545C 5.8 Amp 120 Volt 4-1/2 in. Control Grip Compact Circular Saw
- 1.3 3. VonHaus Corded Ultra-Compact Circular Saw Kit 5.8 Amp
- 1.4 4. WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw – WX429L
- 1.5 5. PORTER-CABLE PCE381K 5.5 Amp 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw Kit
- 1.6 Things to Consider When Buying a Compact Circular Saw
- 1.7 10 Safety Tips When Using The Compact Circular Saw
- 1.8 Final Recommendation
Why Compact Circular Saw and Its Benefit?
When you find the best circular saw, it will give you so many benefits. The compact saw is powered by electricity and this is what makes it effective in making the specified cuts. With their miniature nature, one may despise it is quite powerful. The power is derived from the propeller that spins the circular toothed blade, which is attached to the spindle.
Buying the best compact circular saw has a wide range of benefits. Here are some of the advantages that you are bound to enjoy with this tool:
- The compact circular saw is preferred due to the fact that is has a small size and is light in weight.
- There is the benefit of being mobile, which gives you great flexibility and convenience when working.
- This saw has the capacity to cut through assorted materials wood, stone, plastic and metal, which makes it a versatile tool to have.
- It is easy to use and is designed to give you utmost precision when cutting through materials.
- The handles and switches are coated with metal or plastic guards, which prevent injuries that are associated with the blade.
- It will help make cuts faster and easier as opposed to using the manual handsaw.
5 Best Compact Circular Saw Reviews To Buy In 2020
Making a decision to buy a compact circular saw may not be an easy task for most people. Since there are so many models on the market, you may not have it easy when it comes to picking one that will serve your needs, effectively. I have reviewed some of the top-rated models, below, and this will make it easier for you to pick the best compact circular saw.
1. Rockwell RK3440K Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra-Compact Circular Saw
The Rockwell RK3440K VersaCut is one of the best Circular saw that you will find on the market. This is defined as an ultra-compact saw, which is quite convenient. It is ideal for users who are looking for a versatile model, with multiple functions. With this tool, you will be able to cut plastic, wood, ceramic tile, aluminum, sheet metal and even slate, among others. This is a model that does not disappoint and lives up to its name. The 4.0 amp motor gives it the power to spin the blade adequately and this makes it easier to cut through different materials.
- Powerful, 4.0 amp, multi-functional, ultra-compact circular saw
- Cuts wide variety of materials such as tile, wood, sheet metal, plastics, flooring, and...
- Ergonomic design with slim grip handle improves comfort and enhances grip and control –...
- Built-in laser guide helps you align the perfect cut;120 inches cord
Rockwell RK3440K Versacut Circular Saw Core Features
- This is a multi-functional and ultra-compact circular saw and it comes with a very powerful 4.0 amp motor.
- The ergonomic design of the Rockwell RK3440K VersaCut saw has a handle with a slim grip, which gives you control, with one hand.
- The built-in laser guide will help you to align the saw such that you achieve a perfect grip.
- The dust extraction adapter will keep the cut line free of dust and improve your visibility
- You can use this saw to cut on a wide variety of materials like plastic, sheet metal and wood.
The laser guide will ensure that you are able to make accurate cuts. This model is truly portable as it is quite light, with a weight of 4 pounds. The advantage of the Rockwell RK3440K VersaCut is that it has a streamlined design, which gives you comfortable control, using one hand. There is improved efficiency with this model as there is no need to use the heavy saw to make the cuts that you need. There is a carry case that will make it easy to move with is a compact circular saw. You can accomplish a wide range of tasks with the Rockwell RK3440K VersaCut saw.
This is a powerful model and it will function in the same capacity as the full-size circular saw. It is well balanced and as such, you will be able to make professional cuts. You will be able to make accurate cuts, even the tight areas that are hard to reach, with the ordinary saw. There is a dust extraction adapter that has been included and this will eliminate the dust from the surface. At the end of it all, you will be able to enjoy improved visibility. With this saw, you can able to cut through materials that are more than 1 inch thick.
2. Genesis GCS545C 5.8 Amp 120 Volt 4-1/2 in. Control Grip Compact Circular Saw
One thing most people look for in a circular saw is control. This does not only ensure that the cuts are accurate, but will also keep you safe. The Genesis GCS545C is such a compact circular saw that has great grip, which enhances the control that you have. This 5.8 amp motor contributes to the great power that this model executed. In addition to the motor, there is also a triple reduction gearbox to enhance the power and allow you to tackle the toughest cutting tasks. You will not have any worries when you need to make accurate cuts, on different materials.
- Add the powerful, compact, and lightweight control grip 4-1/2 in. Compact circular saw to...
- Powerful - 5. 8 amp motor and 3500 RPM uses triple‐gear reduction for maximum torque |...
- Convenient - quickly cuts through all 2x material with included tungsten-carbide-tipped...
- Clean - built‐in dust port and vacuum adaptor keeps cutting area Clear of debris |...
Genesis 4 1/2 circular saw Core Features
- This is a powerful and compact circular saw, which has great control grip, allowing to make accurate and perfect cuts.
- It is the lightweight model but has a powerful 5.8 amp motor and a triple gear reduction, which gives it maximum torque.
- The Genesis GCS545C circular saw allows you to cuts through 2X material easily, without having to use the heavier saw.
- It comes with a 24 T carbide tipped blade and there is also a blade wrench to make blade adjustments with ease.
- The built-in dust collection port comes with a vacuum adapter, which will clear the working area to give you improved visibility.
With a single pass, you will be able to cut two times the material that you would cut, with a handsaw. The fact that you can use the saw, with an HSS blade to cut through copper and aluminum is a great advantage of this model. This tool is one of the most comfortable to handle and will give you the convenience of making cuts fast and easy. This is also considered to be the best compact circular saw in that it is quite light. You can easily make angle and depth adjustments on this model.
The built-in dust port comes with a vacuum adapter and this will help you get rid of the dust, conveniently. This is a safety measure as you will have great visibility when working with this saw. The rip guides are also included, to make the alignment easy and ensure that all the cuts are accurate. It has a blade wrench to help change the blades and comes with a 24 T carbide tipped blade. If you are looking for a powerful, yet compact model, then it would be advisable to consider this specific model.
3. VonHaus Corded Ultra-Compact Circular Saw Kit 5.8 Amp
Whether you want to make clean and professional cuts on wood, flooring, tiles, metal or plastic materials, the VonHaus circular saw has you covered. This is an ultra-compact saw that comes with a laser light cutting guide such that the alignment will be perfect and on point. The 5.8 amp motor is quite powerful and is able to spin the blade at 4500 RPM. The blade diameter of 3.5 inches will be able to make the plunge and rips cuts easily. The compact design of the saw is an added advantage as it will allow you to have great control of the saw, which enhances accuracy.
- Triple geared drive Mini Plunge Circular Saw with powerful 5.8 amp motor and 4,500 RPM –...
- Laser-light cutting guide for quick set up and accurate precision cuts. Plunge cutting...
- Ergonomically designed, the slim grip handle improves comfort and facilitates one-handed...
- Versatile: 83.46” extra-long dust extraction hose for cleaner cuts and 118” extra-long...
VonHaus Corded Ultra Compact Circular Saw Core Features
- This is the best circular saw as it has 3 blades that are included as part of the kit. The blades are 3 ½ inches in diameter and have a 3/8 inch arbor.
- The VonHaus is a powerful model as it has a 5.8 amp motor and a triple gear drive, which gives it maximum torque.
- The longer power cord of 118 inches will give you the freedom to move around with the saw and there is also a very long dust extraction hose, which measures 83.46 inches.
- The ergonomic design has a slim grip handle incorporated, which will give you the convenience of single hand operation.
- The laser light cutting guide allows you to set up the saw fast and east and gives you precision cuts.
With the lightweight and ergonomic design, you will get ultimate control of the saw and this gives you accurate cuts. Fortunately, with this table saw, you will be able to make professional cuts, even in tight spaces that are hard to access with the ordinary circular saw. There is an extra-long cable of 118” will give you the freedom to work in the wider area. There is a high quality hardwearing case is included and this makes it easier to carry and store the saw. This also enhances the portability of the tool.
The VonHaus compact circular saw has the capacity to make plunger cuts of up to 1-1/8 inches. This is supported by the easy to use precision depth control. There is a dust extraction hose, which is 83.46 inches long. This will ensure that the cut line is always clear of any dust and as such, you will have improved visibility. There is also the balanced design of this model, which also incorporates a slim grip handle that has a rear-motor construction. This will give you a good grip and comfort and reduces fatigue to your muscles. You can use it with a single hand.
4. WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw – WX429L
WORXSAW offers this 4-1/2 inches compact circular saw that has the capacity to cut through 2-inch lumber in a professional manner. While this is the case, the DIY enthusiasts will also find this model to be light enough and comfortable to handle. The good news is that you can use the saw to make cuts on assorted materials like tile, plastic, metal and wood with ease. The full-sized circular saw is usually 7 ¼ inches and it is quite bulky. This compact circular saw is a great alternative as it will give the same functionality of a full-size circular saw.
- [SMALL FOR A REASON] Quick, more efficient cuts and you can take it with you when you...
- [EZ-SET DEPTH GAUGE] The lever lets you go from 0-45 degree bevel settings with quick...
- [MADE FOR LUMBER] Excellent depth-of-cut for slicing up to 2" stock lumber. Cut 2x4s in a...
- [SEE THE CUT] Left-sided blade optimization gives you a clear line of sight on anything...
Worx compact circular saw Core Features
- This compact circular saw is 4 ½ inches, but has the same functionality of a full-size circular saw and can make 2 by 4 cuts in a single pass.
- It comes with the blade being on the left side and this will give you a good cut line visibility, to ensure that your cuts are accurate.
- The grip of this model has a safety trigger that has been included to give you great comfort and balance so as to have full control of the cuts.
- It has an easy set depth gauge lever and bevel settings of 0 to 45 degrees, which you an option for quite adjustments.
- There is a parallel guide attachment to enhance the accuracy of the cuts that you make with the WORXSAW.
The key advantage of this particular tool is that you can easily make bevel angle adjustments and depth cuts which will allow you to use it on any project. You can be able to set the depth gauge lever from 0 to 45 degrees as it supports quick adjustments. The compact size makes it’s portable and easy to maneuver when you are making cuts. Being able to cut through stock lumber of up to 2 inches thick is something that you will love about this circular saw. This is made possible by the exceptional depth of cut settings that the saw has.
The blade on this saw is on the left side and as such, you will be able to see the cut line, without any hindrances. This is a model that has been designed to give you utmost precision when it comes to making cuts. As such, it comes with a parallel guide, which is attached. This will see to it that all the cuts that you are making are straight, clean and accurate. It comes with a 24 T carbide tipped blade that is ideal for different cuts. There is also a vacuum adapter that will help clear the dust from the cut line.
5. PORTER-CABLE PCE381K 5.5 Amp 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw Kit
The PORTER-CABLE PCE381K 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw Kit is the other model that had to feature in my top choices of the best circular saw. This model comes with a 5.5 amp motor that will give you adequate power as it runs at 3,500 RPM. This gives you adequate power and fast cutting speeds for all the applications that you may have. The compact size and lightweight will make one hand operations to be possible and you will not have to strain your muscles. There is exceptional control thanks to the design of this saw. As such, you will have professional cuts.
- 5.5 Amp compact circular saw, running at 3,500 PRM for power and fast cutting speeds
- Lightweight and compact unit for easy maneuvering
- 1-11/16" depth of cut, cuts 2x material in single pass
- 0-45 degree bevel capacity for variety of cuts
Porter-cable 5.5 amp compact circular saw Core Features
- The dust port has a vacuum adapter and this will clear the dust to ensure that your work area is clean and improves your visibility.
- This is a powerful compact circular saw as it has a 5.5 amp motor, which runs at 3,500 RPM and makes fast and accurate cuts.
- PORTER-CABLE PCE381K 4-1/2″ Compact Saw Kit is lightweight and has a compact design for easier maneuvering.
- With this model, you will be able to cut 2x material with a single pass and there is a 1-11/16 depth of cut.
- The beauty of this circular saw is that has 0 to 45 degrees bevel capacity that allows you to make the variety of cuts.
If you have demanding job applications, then this is the perfect model as it is designed to handle such tasks. You will get the 1-11/16th-inch depth of cut and can easily cut 2x material with just a single pass. The bevel capacity is from 0 to 45 degrees and as such, you will be able to make various cuts easily. As a way of enhancing the precision of the cuts, there is a dust port that has a vacuum adapter. This will clear out the dust on the cut line and improves your visibility significantly.
The PORTER-CABLE PCE381K 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw Kit contains a 24 tooth carbide tipped blade for all the woodcuts. The rip fence is attached to the saw and this will be used as a guide to ensure that the cuts are straight and accurate. The kit bag is essential for purposes of storage and carrying the tool for job site tasks. You can easily maneuver this compact saw such that you will be able to make cuts in tight places, which may be hard to reach with the manual hand saw.
Things to Consider When Buying a Compact Circular Saw
With new models of the circular saw being introduced to the market, every now and then, it may be difficult to keep up with the pace. When you come to buy the best compact circular saw, there are guidelines that are constant, and this can be useful in the choice that you make. Here are some of the considerations to bear in mind when buying this compact saw:
The purpose of the circular saw is to make cuts and as such, you will need to pay keen attention to the blade. Most models will come with the standard carbide-tipped blade, which is ideal for cutting wood. However, if you intend to use the saw for cutting assorted materials, you will need to find a model that supports different types of blades. The number of teeth on the blade will determine the cleanliness of the cuts that you usually make.
- Design and Ergonomics
From a distance, the circular saw may appear as if they are exactly the same. However, when you have a closer look and grab each model, you will notice the difference. Go for a saw that is ergonomically designed such it will fit into your hands properly and give you a secure grip. This means that you need to test the saw by yourself, before making a decision to buy. As long as the handle fits comfortably in your hand, you will be able to have an easier time working. It was also advisable to consider the weight of the circular saw so as not to strain the muscles when working.
- Corded or Cordless
The other essential factor to consider is whether to buy the cordless or corded compact circular saw. While there is no much difference between the two types, the cordless saw is more expensive. If you plan to be using the saw inside your workshop, then you can go for the corded models as you will be able to connect to the power source easily. However, if you are a mobile contractor, then the cordless one will work perfectly for your needs.
- Style of the Saw
When choosing the best circular saw, it is important to note that they come in two styles; worm drive saw and the sidewinders. Sidewinders are the common one and they come with the handle being higher than the blade, with the blade being on the right side. The worm-drive are short and long, having the handle behind the blade. These style of saw have the blade on the left side.
The power that the compact circular saw has is also another significant consideration, during the purchase. This is expressed in amperage, with the standard saw being 15 amps. If you are the hobbyist and do not use the saw often, then you can go for the models that have a power capacity of 10 to 12 amps.
10 Safety Tips When Using The Compact Circular Saw
If you have the best compact circular saw, you will need to be careful when using it, as it is known to be quite dangerous. Here are some safety tips to bear in mind when working with your circular saw:
- When using the corded compact saw, it is important to keep the cables away from the cutting line.
- Always have your eyes on the blade and the workpiece that you are cutting, so as to avoid unnecessary injuries.
- Anytime that you are making cuts, the workpiece needs to be supported properly. You can use clamps of a workbench to support the stock.
- Have a dust extraction mechanism in place so as to keep the work surface clean at all times.
- Wear safety glasses and dust masks when you are working with the saw.
- Ensure that the blade is sharp and in good shape before attempting any cuts.
- Watch the position as circular saw are known to have a high rate of kickbacks, which can cause injuries.
- Inspect the stock for any foreign objects like nails, staples or even wood knots, which may trigger kickback.
- If you have to make any adjustments, you should make sure that the compact saw is turned off.
- You should not the blade depth too deep, it should be 5 to 10 mm pas the depth of the workpiece.
If you are looking for more information about how to safely use a compact circular saw go here https://bestsawreviews.com/how-to-use-a-circular-saw/ right away.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I use the compact circular saw to cut laminate without chipping out?
A: Yes, you can actually cut Formica or laminate using the compact circular saw. All you need is the right blade and in order to avoid chipping out, go for a blade with more teeth.
Q: What is the size of the arbor on this tool?
A: The size of the arbor may differ from model to model. However, in most cases, you will realize that the average arbor size is 3/8”.
Q: How effective is the plunge feature on the circular saw?
A: The plunge feature on the compact circular saw works perfectly fine as long as you have a powerful motor and you go slowly. However, you should be on the lookout for kickbacks.
Q: Is it possible to set the depth of cut on my saw?
A: Yes, most models of the circular saw allow you to set the depth of the cut as well as the angle.
Q: How can I disable the plunge cut setting, without affecting the cut depth?
A: While most models do not provide an option to disable the plunger feature, you can set the depth cut easily. You can adjust the saw to suit your preferred setting with ease.
Gone are the days when you had to drag the bulky full-size circular saw, as the compact models can execute the tasks equally well. When you search for the best circular saw, there are a couple of things that you need to look at, which we have discussed in this guide. The advantage of the compact versions is that that they are easy to maneuver and carry around even when you have to move from one job site to another.
There are many models on the market and I picked the top 5 for purposes of this guide. From the models that I reviewed, the Rockwell RK3440K Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra-Compact Circular Saw with Laser Guide and 3-Blade Kit with Carrying Case is the best compact circular saw. This will serve your needs perfectly and gives you precision cuts. If this guide is useful and helpful, feel free to share it around so as to assist others with reliable information of compact saw.