Being able to find the best band saw is a great advantage as this will help improve your work. The band saw is a great tool to have and it is highly recommended for anyone who has some woodwork or metal working projects. There are bench top band saws, which have also come into the market and as such, you will not need to have a workshop to be able to use one. If you want a machine that can be able to cut through logs of 14 inches, then the band saw will serve the purpose. This is a tool that will be used in cutting both metal and wood, as long as you have the right blade.
There are many models on the market and as such, it can be quite confusing for a first timer. In addition, newer models have also come into play, which means even experts may find a hard time picking the ideal band saw. However, irrespective of the type or style of band saw that you may need, this guide will be of great help. I will walk you through all the major aspects and factors that will help you in making a sound decision. I have also reviewed some of the top models on the market. Please read on to the end of this guide.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Band Saw On The Market In 2021
- 1.1 WEN 3962 Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand and Worklight, 10″
- 1.2 Grizzly G0555LX Deluxe Bandsaw, 14
- 1.3 Shop Fox W1706 14″ Bandsaw with Cast Iron Wheels & Deluxe Aluminum Fence
- 1.4 JET JWBS-14DXPRO 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit
Why Band Saw and Its Benefit
The band saw is one of the most resourceful tools that you can have, whether you are a professional or a hobbyist. This is the right tool for curvaceous cuts as well as cutting out irregular shapes. When you have the best woodworking bandsaw, you will be able to enjoy great results as the cuts are smooth and accurate. With the proper use of the band saw, you will be able to achieve so much and you will have countless benefits that you will enjoy.
From precision, to ease of use to durability, are some of the amazing benefits that you will draw from the saw. This is a great tool to have as part of your equipment and machinery. The good news is that you can choose to have a portable or stationary saw. Having the best band saw comes with many benefits and some of the main ones include:
- The band saw is a tool that is designed to be used without the complexity and has so many features that promote high performance and safety.
- You can use the band saw to cut different types of materials as it is a versatile tool and you will not have any restrictions.
- There are different blades that work with the band saw and this makes it be a versatile tool to have.
- There is also the benefit of being able to cut out irregular shapes with the band saw and also make curves, effortlessly.
- If you want a tool that will reduce wastage, then pick the band saw as the smaller kerf ensures that only the necessary material is removed.
Best Band Saw On The Market In 2021
WEN 3962 Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand and Worklight, 10″
It is one thing to have a tool that claims to be powerful and a different one to enjoy the power that it actually has. The WEN 3962 is a truly powerful bandsaw as it has a 3.5 amp motor and a throat of 9 ¾ inches. This is what gives the saw the ability to glide through boards, easily and be able to cut up to 6 inches deep. With the 72 inch blades, the saw can make cuts that are anywhere from 1/8 to ½ inches. As such, you will be able to make intricate cuts, without compromising on the accuracy.
This is also an economical bandsaw as it comes with a spacious stand that has dimensions of 14 x 12 ½ inches. The table can swivel up to 45 degrees and as such, you will be able to make cuts at different angles. One thing that stands out on the WEN 3962 is the variable speed system, which will allow you to operate the tool at speed of 1520 or 2620 feet per minute. The ball bearings will give the wheels, which are 10 inches, a smooth performance. The saw comes with a 3 in 1 bust port which will accommodate various dust collection hoses.
This band saw allows you to make cuts of up to 6 inches, in a single pass, on wood. This is facilitated by the two speed operation, allowing to attack boards that are up to 6 inches, in thickness. The 9 ¾ throat capacity is also an added advantage as allows you to take on more workpieces than similar models, in its class. The flexible work light is a great accessory to have as it will illuminate the workpiece. The saw comes with a fence and miter angle, allowing to make angled cuts, without compromising on the precision.
- There is a work light that is part of the WEN 3962 and this gives you the convenience of illuminating the work piece and work area.
- This band saw is quite powerful as it comes with a 3.5 amp, which makes it possible to make cuts that are up to 6 inches deep.
- There is a 3 in 1 dust collection port, a fence and a miter gauge, which are convenient accessories included on this model.
- The WEN 3962 uses 72 inch blades that will cut from 1/8 to ½ inches and also have a spacious work table that bevels to 45 degrees.
- The two speed operation of either 1520 or 2620 FPM is a convenient feature as it allows you to set the speed according to the application being cut.
Grizzly G0555LX Deluxe Bandsaw, 14
If you have never bought a band saw in the past, the Grizzly G0555LX is a great place to start. This is a deluxe 14 band saw and has so much to offer, which is the main reason I consider it to be the best band saw. Interesting, it sells for half the price that the other deluxe models sell for. This powerful saw is powered up by a 1 HP motor and as such, you will get enough power to cut through different applications. This saw has been redefined and a number of features have been incorporated to improve the performance of the saw. It comes with computer balanced wheels that are made of cast iron and these are stable and durable. This is an improved model of the Grizzly G0555 model.
If you want a model that will be easy to adjust, the Grizzly G0555LX does not disappoint. It comes with a rack and pinion guide that will facilitate the adjustment for the upper blade guides. The fence on this saw has a T-shape design and is quite sturdy and as such, you will be assured of accurate cuts. It is a CSA certified model as it meets the set standards. The heavy duty deluxe stand that has been included is a convenient feature of the saw as it will give this saw the support that it requires. This also gives you an adequate working surface, even for the larger pieces of stock.
The Grizzly G0555LX has a 4 inch dust port, which is part of the dust management system. This is quite effective as it will clear the debris such that you can have a clear sight of the cut line. There is upper and lower ball bearing blade guides and this is part of the system that will ensure you have superior accuracy. The two blade speeds are also useful to the success of the cuts that you will make. You can either use the 1800 or 3100 FPM, depending on the task that you have at hand.
- The construction of the Grizzly G0555LX is quite solid as it comes with a cast iron frame and a heavy duty stand that is powder coat painted.
- The cast iron wheel is computer balances and come with rubber tires. This makes them reliable and enhances stability.
- The Grizzly G0555LX has an extruded T-shape re-saw fence, which is made of aluminum and is quite sturdy.
- The upper and lower ball bearing blade guides and thrust bearings are useful in ensuring that there is a smooth operation.
- The 4 inch dust port is useful in handling the debris that is realized from the cuts.
Shop Fox W1706 14″ Bandsaw with Cast Iron Wheels & Deluxe Aluminum Fence
The Shop Fox W1706 is the best band saw, in so many ways. This comes with an improvement of the features that are usually found on the more expensive or large machines. For starters, it comes with cast iron wheels on the upper and lower parts. The frame is also made of cast iron, which is an assurance of durability and longevity. The extruded aluminum fence and rails are used to the process of making cuts, and that is the way you can cut out irregular shapes and make curves on your work piece. The 1 HP motor is quite powerful and this makes it easier to make cuts, even on tough applications.
There is a quick release blade tension on the Shop Fox W1706 and as such, the process of changing blades is much easier and faster. The upper and lower ball bearing guides plus the miter gauge are the features that will help you make accurate cuts, at different angles. The enclosed cabinet stand is convenient as it can be used for the storage of the accessories, blades and other tools. The motor delivers 1,725 revolutions per minute and this is what gives the saw adequate cutting capacity. The precision ground cast iron miter gauge has an easy to read scale that can be adjusted to plus or minus 30 degrees.
The cast iron table tilts to 10 degrees to the left and 45 degrees to the right, allowing you a wide range of cutting applications. You can easily adjust the hairline scale on the fence and lock it into the desired position. As far as keeping the workshop clean, the Shop Fox W1706 comes with a 4 inch dust collection port that can easily connect to a dust management system. This will keep the workshop clean and clears the debris as you work. There is an optional extension block that will increase the re-sawing capacity of the band saw.
- The Shop Fox W1706 is the durable band saw as it has a cast iron frame and a precision ground cast iron table.
- The wheels of this band saw are also made of cast iron and have rubber tires that do not go flat.
- The deluxe extruded aluminum fence is also included on the Shop Fox W1706 and it comes with a hairline scale that is easy to adjust and lock into position.
- The upper and lower ball bearing guides are essential as they ensure that you are making accurate cuts on your work piece.
- The stand of this band saw is cabinet styled, which gives you a full storage for your accessories and other tools that you may have.
- The 4 inch dust port can connect to dust collection system to keep the work area and the table surface clean.
JET JWBS-14DXPRO 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit
The JWBS-14DXPRO is a great band saw to have as it is known to deliver incredible precision and eliminates the need to use the riser block. Even the toughest applications that measure up to 12 inches can be re-sawed using this model. This is a model that boasts of a number of innovative and updated features that are geared towards improving the performance. There is a high tension spring design that will give you a more control and power to be able to generate clean and accurate cuts. The sturdy construction of the band saw ensures that you enjoy optimum longevity, making it an ideal investment for long term use.
This saw comes with a built in retractable blade guard and also offers a higher cutting capacity. With the JWBS-14DXPRO, you can make cuts of up to 12 inches high and 13.5 inches wide. The blade guard moves from 0 to 12 inches and as such, you will enjoy the versatile nature of the saw. The frame is made of super tough cast iron and as such, it will serve you for a very long period of time. The blade has speeds of up 1500/3000 SFPM and this gives the saw adequate power to punch and cut material quite fast.
The table of this band saw is quite sturdy and will be able to support a wide range of projects. The table measures 15 by 15 inches and it is designed in such a way that it will tilt 45 degrees to the right and 10 degrees to the left. The height of 43.5 inches will give you the platform to support a wide range of applications. There is upper and lower ball bearing guides and these will reduce the friction and as a result, this is a durable model. The performance of the saw is improved in such a great manner and this will translates to an extended blade life.
- The JWBS-14DXPRO comes with a 12 inch resaw capacity and this will be ideal when you have to cut larger pieces of wood.
- The blade guide post comes with a rack and pinion adjustment, which is essential for the making of accurate cuts.
- This model comes with an easy to view blade tracking window and as such, you will be able to achieve superior accuracy.
- The JWBS-14DXPRO comes with a new and innovative upper and lower cast iron frame that increases the rigidity and strength of the band saw.
- This is an ideal tool to have as it comes with a 2 speed poly-v-belt drive system, which enhances its versatility.
Things That Should Be Considered When Buying a Band Saw
The moment you go to the market to shop for the best band saw, you are confronted by a number of great options. Most of the models appear to have the same features and as such, it would require some other aspects to help you with your choice. There are a couple of essential considerations that you should bear in mind so as to make an informed decision and get a band saw that will serve your interests. Here are some of these factors that you should consider:
The table of the band saw is one of the most important factors to consider when you are buying a band saw. You should look at the construction of the table so as to find a sturdy and durable model. Aluminum tables are quite ideal as they are sturdy and durable, but are also very light and easier to handle. You should also find a table that tilts to allow for different types of cuts, at different angles.
Before settling for a particular type of band saw, it is important to look at the accessories that have been included. One of the best accessories that you can get is a fence as this will be useful in guiding your cuts. You may also get a band saw that comes with a miter gauge, which comes in handy for the angled cuts. As long as you get some accessories that improve the performance of the band saw, then that will be a great deal.
Without the blade, then there is no way that the band saw would be useful to you. When looking at the blade that you will get, you need to consider what you intend to use the tool for. In most cases, this will be used for woodwork and metalwork and as such, it is imperative to find the right blade for the task. When looking at the blades, you need to look at the TPI, pitch and the pattern of the blade that you will get.
You should pay keen attention to the construction of the band saw. This is a great investment that will cost you some money and as such, you would want one that can serve you for a good while. The key areas that you should be keen on are the table and the frame of the band saw. If these are built to last, then you can rest easy. Cast iron and steel are the best materials for the construction of a band saw.
The cutting capacity is also an integral consideration. This will determine the size of stock that your band saw will be capable to handle. In this case, you will need to consider the depth, as well as the width of the cuts that saw, will be able to make. There are models that accommodate riser blocks, which will increase the capacity and enhance the versatility of the saw.
Band Saw Safety Tips
Safety is paramount, even if you have the best band saw. Here are some safety tips that you need to pay attention to when using your saw:
- Be sure to read and follow the owner’s manual instructions so as to use the saw in the right manner.
- Do not operate the band saw without wearing protective clothing, especially for your eyes and ears.
- Check all the safety features and integral parts of your band saw before you can start using it.
- As a safety measure, you should never allow your fingers to come less than 3 inches from the blade.
- When you are making cuts and are approaching the end of the cut, the feed rate pressure should be lowered.
- In order to change the blade or make any adjustments to the band saw, you should disconnect the tool from the power source.
- Make it a habit to use push devices like push sticks when you are making cuts so as not to get close to the blade.
- The work piece needs to be secure at the point where the blade exits so as to prevent incidents that can cause injuries.
- When cleaning the throat of the band saw and removing debris, allow the blade to come to a stop and disconnect the saw from power.
- Do not operate the band saw, without the blade guard, as this becomes a safety precaution and prevents any accidental contact with the blade.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is there any other thing that I can cut with my band saw, besides wood?
A. Most manufacturers have woodworkers in mind when making band saws. However, they can be used to cutting so many other materials and composites. The only thing that you will have to do is to ensure that you have the right blade for the task that you intend to carry out.
Q: What is the cutting speed of the band saw, out of the box?
A: When you buy a new band saw, the cutting speed is usually set to the slow mode. You will need to adjust it to the required speed. In some cases, you will be forced to change the position of the belt so as to achieve high speeds.
Q: What is the ideal width of the band saw?
A: There are several widths of bands saws and this is what makes it an ideal tool for making curves and cutting out irregular shapes. You will need to adjust the tool according to the task at hand and also you will need to find the right blade size.
Q: Will my model of the band saw come with a stand?
A: This will highly depend on the specific model of the band saw that you will buy. There are those that come with a stand, as part of the package, while others require users to buy the stand separately.
Q: What are cool blocks?
A: Cool blocks serve as alternatives to ball bearing guides. They are made from graphite impregnated laminate that will eliminate friction and improve blade life and performance.
If you have come this far, then you have gathered all the necessary information about the best woodworking band saw. I have taken you through all that you would need to know and as such, you should be in a much better position to make a decision about the saw that is ideal for you. I have shown you the factors that are critical in your shopping and that would suffice in influencing your buying decision.
I have reviewed the top rated models on the market, as a way of helping you pick the right one. While each of the saws has their own strengths and benefits, I highly recommend the DEWALT DWM120K 10 Amp 5-Inch Deep Cut Portable Band Saw Kit as the best band saw. Please take some time to leave a comment and also share this guide with your loved ones, to help them make an educated decision on band saws.