Last Updated on
Is woodworking your hobby or profession? Whatever the case, the success of the projects that you have will require great tools. Investing in the best band saw for the money is one of the ways that you can achieve great success in your projects. A band saw will be useful to you when you have to cut curves and make irregular shapes. Depending on the type of blade that you have, you can cut wood and metal applications. The beauty of buying a quality tool is that you will be able to increase the accuracy of the cuts. The right tool will be resourceful as it gives you great reliability and efficiency.
If you want to rip thin lumber pieces, then the band saw is the ideal tool to have. This is one of the tools that are designed to give you great precision and deliver clean and smooth cuts. However, if you have never bought a band saw, you may end up confused with the different types of models that are on the market. The fact that each manufacturer boasts of having the best model makes it even more confusing. This is why I have decided to come up with this guide so as to make it easier for you to find the right band saw and one that is worth your money.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Band Saw for the Money 2018
- 1.1 WEN 3975 5″ Metal-Cutting Benchtop Bandsaw
- 1.2 DEWALT DCS374B 20V Max Deep Cut Band Saw Baretool
- 1.3 Bosch GCB10-5 Deep-Cut Band Saw, Blue
- 1.4 Milwaukee 6238-20 AC/DC Deep Cut Portable Two-Speed Band Saw
- 1.5 Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Compact Band Saw
Why Band Saw and Its Benefit
As I have mentioned earlier, the band saw will be a handy tool when you have to cut out curves and other irregular shapes. Besides making it easier to make the curvaceous cuts, this tool will also give you clean and smooth cuts. As a matter of fact, this is the tool that is known to be the smoothest cutting tool, for a number of contractors. With the best woodworking band saw, there are many benefits that you will enjoy.
The best band saw for the money will give you a whole range of benefits. This is a precise tool and you can be sure that it is a worthwhile investment that ensures you deliver quality results. If you have not used the band saw before, here are some of the key benefits that you can derive from the tool:
- The band saw is not restricted to cutting a specific type of material, as is the case with most of the other cutting tools. As such, you will enjoy great versatility as it can cut different materials.
- This is one tool that is known for wastage reduction as it comes with a smaller kerf when compared to other tools used for cutting.
- You will have the advantage of being able to make curvaceous cuts and also cutting out unconventional shapes with the band saw.
- The blades on band saw are known to be quite effective and deliver exceptional results.
- This is a tool that is easy to use and comes with all the features to enhance safety and deliver precise and smooth cuts, effortlessly.
Best Band Saw for the Money 2018
Anytime you go out to buy a band saw, there is a high possibility that you may end up confused as there so many models that have been brought into the market. While most of them seem to be similar, it is important to analyze the features so as to be certain that you are getting the best band saw for the money. Since this may be a tall order, I have done it for you and settled for the top rated models of the market. Here is a review of the band saws that you should consider:
WEN 3975 5″ Metal-Cutting Benchtop Bandsaw
Who said that cutting metal has to be a tedious task? With the WEN 3975 band saw, you will be able to cut metal with so much ease. This is a bench-top model that is designed in such a manner that you can cut through metals that are 5 inches. Some of the metals that you can use the saw with include copper, brass, aluminum and steel, among others. When you have pipes that are up to 5 inches, in diameter, then you can trust this band saw to make cuts. In addition, this would be the saw to use when you have rectangular materials that are up to 5 by 4 7/8 inches in dimension.
The reason why the WEN 3975 band saw would be a worthwhile investment is the fact that it comes with a variable speed operation and this allows the blade to rotate from 125 to 260 feet per minute. This is the right feature as it allows you to make cuts on various materials, of different sizes. I loved the fact that this band saw has a compact design and as such, the storage and transportation is much easier. The lightweight is also a great advantage in that you can be able to control and navigate the saw with easy. It is a powerful machine that you can use on the job site or in your workshop.
The WEN 3975 band saw comes with a built-in vise that gives you a firm grasp on the work piece. This saw has a beveling blade that is useful for the angled cuts and will allow you to make cuts from 0 to 60 degrees, conveniently. The ball bearing guides are another features that are quite essential for this band saw. This is what extends the lifespan of the tool and ensures that you have a reliable operation. The blade tension and tilt knobs are convenient features that will give you an easier time to adjust the blade, between tasks.
Wen benchtop bandsaw Features
- The WEN 3975 has a variable speed blade that will deliver speeds of up to 125 to 260 feet per minute, making it a versatile tool.
- With this tool, you will get a pre-installed blade that is 56 ½ by ½ inches and this makes it easier to make different cuts.
- It has a compact design and as such, you will have an easy time transporting it or storing the tool after use.
- You can make cuts of up to 5 inches, the diameter of pipes and up to 5 by 4 7/8 inches on rectangular pieces.
- The WEN 3975 has a beveling blade that will make cuts from 0 to 60 degrees.
DEWALT DCS374B 20V Max Deep Cut Band Saw Baretool
DEWALT DCS374B is yet another tool from DEWALT that will not disappoint. This particular band saw has the ability to make deep cuts in that it will up to 5 inches. When you buy this tool, you can be able to cut strut, angle iron, pipe and other materials. The saw also has the ability to cut double strut and up to 4 inches SCH 40 pipe. The LED work light that has been included on this saw is quite ideal as it will illuminate the work surface and ensure that you are making cuts on the marked cut line. This comes with a 20 second delay to ensure that it is effective and reliable.
If there is one thing that DEWALT DCS374B is known for is the accuracy that it delivers. This is why it is the best bandsaw for the money as it will give accurate cutting at all times. The variable speed trigger and the dial is useful as it will allow you to control the speed of the band saw. As such, you will enjoy great control and the versatility that is delivered by the tool. There is an advantage of this being a portable tool as you can move with it from one jobsite to another. It is powered by a 20 volt battery.
The saw has the capacity to cut up to 149 cuts of 1 5/8 inches strut. All you will need is a 14 TPI blade. The hanging hook on the band saw is convenient as it allows you to hang the store after use, without damaging the front handle and the base. This is a model that is focused on enhancing the productivity as it has a tool less blade change mechanism. This will make it easy to change and replace blades with ease as there are no tools required. It is important to mention that the tool is sold as a bare tool, without a battery.
Dewalt deep cut band saw Features
- This is a durable tool, thanks to the dual bearing blade guide rollers. These will enhance the longevity of the tool.
- The DEWALT DCS374B comes with a LED work light that has a 20 second delay and this is useful in illuminating the cut line and dark work pieces.
- The cutting capacity of this band saw is 5 inches and as such, you will be able to achieve a whole lot with it.
- There is a special blade tracking adjustment that extends the life of the blade and a tool less blade change mechanism for faster and easier blade changes.
- The handle of the DEWALT DCS374B band saw is strategically placed at the center and this will give you a good balance when working.
Bosch GCB10-5 Deep-Cut Band Saw, Blue
No one needs to have a complicated tool when they are working. If you are looking for a great band saw that will not only deliver deep cuts but is easy to use, you should go for the Bosch GCB10-5. This is a saw that has a great rating when it comes to handling and the use of the tool. The weight of this model is 14.5 pounds and it comes with a compact design. When you have difficult and tough metal applications, this is the saw to use. The main handle has a comfortable grip that will help you make cuts from different angles. There is an auxiliary handle, for those who want a 2-handed operation.
The convenience of the use of this model is one the best experiences that you will have. The Bosch GCB10-5 comes with an integrated hook, which will be used for hanging the toll when you are not using it. This ensures that no part of the tool is damaged, during the storage. There is a bright LED light that will illuminate the cut line and as such, you can be guaranteed clean and accurate cuts. There is also the advantage of being able to cut different types of metals, like the pipe, steel and threaded rod among others.
The 10 amp motor is ideal for this saw as it gives it the power that is needed to make cuts on different materials. As a matter of fact, you can cut copper pipe, rebar and copper pipe with this saw. You will love the type of cuts that the saw delivers, as you will not need to smooth out the edges. You can make cuts of up to 4 ¾ inches with a single pass. There is a variable speed control that allows you to match the speed of the material being cut. The speeds start from 100 surface feet per minute and go all the way to 380 surface feet per minute.
Bosch Deep Cut Band Saw Features
- The Bosch GCB10-5 comes with variable speed settings that deliver speeds of 100 to 380 surface feet per minute.
- This is a jobsite tool that will deliver clean and spark free operation, making it a safe tool
- The band saw has the capacity to deliver cuts of up to 4 ¾ inches, in a single pass and this one of the deep cut saws that you will find useful.
- It weighs 14.5 lbs. and this combines with the compact design to make the Bosch GCB10-5 a convenient band saw.
- The 10 amp motor is quite powerful and provides the right power to ensure that the cuts are clean and do not need any rework.
Milwaukee 6238-20 AC/DC Deep Cut Portable Two-Speed Band Saw
There is a group of people who prefer an AC band saw while others prefer the DC saws, since they are cordless and portable. However, Milwaukee 6238-20 has taken all these groups into consideration and offers a great tool. You can use it as a stationary tool or a portable tool, for the jobsite tasks. This is a deep cut band saw that comes with 2 speeds. As a user, you will love its durability and excellent performance. All these combined with the light weight makes it easy to move around with and your cuts will be exceptional. You will not regret investing in this amazing band saw.
The 11 amps motor gives the Milwaukee 6238-20 band saw the power that it requires to be able to give you a huge cutting capacity. The cut line is clearly visible and as such, you will have precise and smooth cuts that do not need any reworking. This is the best band saw for the money and will be quite resourceful for all that are in the metal working industry. The job site armor technology is exclusive to this model and this will give you a long lasting protection, thanks to the crush zone barriers and the proprietary composite materials that have been used to make this saw.
The Milwaukee 6238-20 comes with a direct drive system that is made of all metal and this is part of the features that enhance the durability of the saw. This will extend the lifeline of the saw as it requires minimal servicing. There is also a protecting clutch for the gear and this will extend the life of the motor and the gear as it absorbs the high impact forces that may be caused by any blade lock-ups. The slimmer motor housing is quite useful as it makes the cut line to be more visible.
Milwaukee portable band saw Features
- The Milwaukee 6238-20 band saw is easy to use and comes with the option of both AC and DC, making it useful for both workshop and jobsite use.
- This is a very light model as it weighs 14.5 pounds and this will work to your advantage as it will give you great control over the tool and reduces fatigue.
- The tool has an all metal direct drive system and this guarantees you an extended and maximum tool life.
- It comes with a slimmer motor housing, which will improve the cut line sight, which results in superior cutting, with utmost accuracy.
- It comes with a powerful 11 amp motor and a balanced body design, which gives you maximum performance and great control.
Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Compact Band Saw
Any time you go shopping for the best power tools, you need to find a reputable brand. Bosch is one of the brands that have a built a great name and you can trust its tools. If you want the best band saw for the money, the Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B will be a great choice. This is a portable model that runs on the 18V lithium-ion battery and will give you maximum performance and durability. The man reason why this comes on top is the fact that it is 60% lighter and 40% more compact, which makes it easy to maneuver it.
The Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B band saw is built in such a manner that it can withstand the toughest conditions. It comes with a rugged aluminum base, which will promote the durability of the tool. When you have to make cuts in very tight places, this would be the tool to pick as it is designed in such a way that overhead and cuts in tight spaces will be done easily. The cutting capacity of the saw is 2 ½ by 2 ½ inches, which is an incredible capacity. This comes as a bare tool and as such, you should have a provision to buy the battery and charger.
The fact that the Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B can be used to cut different materials makes it an ideal tool for most contractors. You have the choice of a slim pack or the fat pack battery and this is why it has become the favorite tool for electricians, plumbers and other contractors. If you have to work in dark areas, you do not have to worry as the saw has an LED work light. This will illuminate your work surface and ensure that your cut line is visible at all times. This is what contributes to the superior accuracy that the saw delivers.
Bosch compact band saw Features
- This is a durable tool as it is made of a rugged aluminum base, which enhances its longevity.
- The Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B has an LED light to illuminate the work surface and ensure the cuts are accurate.
- You can use this band saw to cut different types of materials.
- This is an ideal band saw for overhead cuts and cuts on tight spaces, as it can be controlled with ease.
- The Bosch Bare-Tool BSH180B is a compact and lighter model of the band saw in its class,
Things That Should Be Considered When Buying a Band Saw
Besides looking at the price, there are other factors to consider and see that you get the best band saw for the money. The process can be quite demanding as there are a number of variables that will come into play. However, I have put together a number of guiding factors that will help you find the best band saw.
Size of Saw
There are different sizes of band saws, which is a great consideration in your shopping. There smaller ones are 14 inches, while the large ones are 16 inches. The larger ones are quite efficient, but this does not mean that they are the better quality. You should evaluate your needs and ensure that you have the right size of saw to serve your needs in the right manner.
Material to Be Cut
The other factor that is critical to consider is the type of material that needs to be cut with the saw. This will not only help you pick the right band saw, but also see to it that you have the ideal blade. Each type of band saw blade will be designed for a specific purpose.
Size of Motor
The motor of the band saw is what will give you the power to cut through various materials. The size of the motor is measured by the horsepower and most of them range between ½ and 1 ½ HP. When you have tough applications, you need to get a larger motor as the smaller one may be overwhelmed. However, the size of the motor will be determined by the tasks you project to use the saw for.
The cutting speed is also a critical factor to consider. The speed you choose will determine the results you get and the neatness of the cuts. As such, you need to find a model that has variable speeds, as this would allow you to match the speed to the material that is being cut. This goes a long way to improve the accuracy of the cuts that you are making.
There are different types of brands and models of band saws and each comes at a price. There are some that can be as cheap as $200, while others may be way higher than that. You need to find a saw that serves your needs, without forcing you to break your bank. Compare the different models, within a particular price range and pick the best.
Band Saw Safety Tips
It is one thing to get the best bandsaw for the money, and a different thing to use it properly. This is one of the most dangerous tools, if not handled properly. Here are some few safety tips that you can follow for the safe use of your band saw:
- Take the owner’s manual and follow the specifications provided by the manufacturer.
- You should always have the upper guide set to be ¼ inches above the work piece.
- Wear safety protection when using the band saw, like ear plugs and safety glasses.
- Ensure that your fingers and hands are at least 3 inches from the blade at all time when operating the tool.
- If you have to change the blade, you need to disconnect the saw from the power source to prevent accidental starts.
- The feed rate pressure should be reduced when you approach the end of the cut, this is a safety measure that you need to take into consideration.
- You should always use push sticks and other push devices to prevent any contact with the blade.
- Have the blade guard in position at all times so as to prevent any accidental contact with the band saw blade.
- If you have to clean the throat of the debris and chips, allow the blade to come to a complete stop.
- Find a way of securing the work piece to the table at the point where the blade exits, as this will prevent accidents.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will my band saw cut metal materials?
A: Most band saws have the capacity to cut metal materials. However, what you will need is to have a proper blade for the purpose of cutting the metal. There are also some blades that are powerful enough to be able to cut non-ferrous metals.
Q: Is it true that band saws can be used for cutting meat?
A: As far capacity goes, the band saw is capable of cutting meat, but you will need to keep your fingers away from the blade. However, it is important to note that this tool is mainly meant for wood and metal applications and as such, it may not do a very good job of cutting meat.
Q: Should I get a specific blade for particular cuts with the band saw?
A: Yes, you will need to ensure that you have the right blade for each task. Without the correct blade, the process of making cuts may be quite difficult and you may not achieve the results that you want. For curvaceous cuts, make use of wider blades so that you can be able to get the curves right.
Q: Should I sharpen the band saw blade or buy a new one?
A: This will depend on the specific type of band saw blade that you have. With some patience, you can sharpen the blades with a grinder or a Dremel. However, for the cheaper blades, it is easier to buy a new blade, instead of sharpening.
Q: Which is the right extension cord to use with the band saw?
A: Pick an extension cord that meets the power requirements of your band saw. In addition, ensure that you have the adequate length so as to prevent tangling or overstretching the power cord.
The band saw is a powerful tool and when you have it, you achieve a whole lot. If you are looking for the best woodworking band saw, there are a number of things that you should consider, most of which I have already discussed on this guide. The various brands and models can be quite confusing and you may wonder which one to buy, but after reading this guide, you should be in a better position to make a decision.
From the models that I have reviewed, I highly recommend the Milwaukee 6238-20 AC/DC Deep Cut Portable Two-Speed Band Saw. This is the best band saw for the money as it gives you the option to use batteries and power. If this guide is useful, please share it with your loved ones and keep checking for more updates here.